2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

I think that was more of a marketing thing. I think they didn't want a major movie market as the villain. If it had been a normal hockey power like Canada or Russia, it probably would have been a issue. Canada would be considered a major movie market and it's a movie about hockey, so Disney knew Canadians were going to watch it. But if you make Canadians the villians and the team that loses in the end, you could potentially lose that market because nobody likes seeing themselves as the villian, Canadians especially when it comes to hockey. Same with Russia, but Disney could have also tried to stay away from the Cold War/Miracle on Ice motif.No offense to Iceland, but it's just Iceland. That's probably why Disney chose them as the villian.

I just figured it was that a Nordic country with "Ice" in its name would be a natural hockey villain. Blond villains in movies, right? Turns out, though, that Icelanders aren't even all that into hockey. See, now that's where you should grow the game!

I spent a week there and the only sport they cared about was soccer. They have molds of each member of their national team's "member" in a museum. Seriously.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that was more of a marketing thing. I think they didn't want a major movie market as the villain. If it had been a normal hockey power like Canada or Russia, it probably would have been a issue. Canada would be considered a major movie market and it's a movie about hockey, so Disney knew Canadians were going to watch it. But if you make Canadians the villians and the team that loses in the end, you could potentially lose that market because nobody likes seeing themselves as the villian, Canadians especially when it comes to hockey. Same with Russia, but Disney could have also tried to stay away from the Cold War/Miracle on Ice motif.No offense to Iceland, but it's just Iceland. That's probably why Disney chose them as the villian.

I just figured it was that a Nordic country with "Ice" in its name would be a natural hockey villain. Blond villains in movies, right? Turns out, though, that Icelanders aren't even all that into hockey. See, now that's where you should grow the game!

I spent a week there and the only sport they cared about was soccer. They have molds of each member of their national team's "member" in a museum. Seriously.

I didn't believe you, but it's handball, actually.

So USA v Slovakia just started. By god it looks stupid having both teams in same colours, same template, just reversed.

Go eff yourself Nike Hockey department

It's so irritating watching, same template, same colours, similarly shaped crests and why even put the detail on the Slovak uni if you can't even tell it's there

Forget Leafs-Bolts, USA-Slovakia is your new clubhouse leader in "games that look like intrasquad scrimmages".

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah team USA looked damn good in the whites, its just too bad that Slovakia looks the exact same... I thought the shades of blue would at least be different. Make one of them royal instead of navy...

I know! The weirdest part is that Slovakia has worn royal blue in the past 3 Olympics.

2010-02-19T084459Z_01_BTRE61I0OBE00_RTRO

Pavol%20Demitra%202006_slide.jpg

Slovakia_vs_France_2002_Winter_Olympics.

and their nation's flag is royal blue. Doesn't make sense, but Nike's gonna do what they want and for some reason they wanted Slovakia to wear navy blue.

Man, 2006 was a terrible year for Olympic hockey uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah team USA looked damn good in the whites, its just too bad that Slovakia looks the exact same... I thought the shades of blue would at least be different. Make one of them royal instead of navy...

I know! The weirdest part is that Slovakia has worn royal blue in the past 3 Olympics.

and their nation's flag is royal blue. Doesn't make sense, but Nike's gonna do what they want and for some reason they wanted Slovakia to wear navy blue.

Man, 2006 was a terrible year for Olympic hockey uniforms.

Yeah I'm not sure why the sudden change to Navy. I have an older Slovakia jersey, not an Olympic one, but it looks much better in royal instead of navy...

And I totally agree, the Nike Swift jerseys for the 2006 games were much worse than this years. Take about template looks, every team had the same weird striping pattern on their jerseys. And the terrible vertical stripes.

Does anyone have a good pic of Slovenia? I've seen some green in pics but don't really know about the full set

They actually look fairly decent:

AR20140213RUSvsSLO455.JPG?height=330&wid

(For some reason IIFH.com decided to focus on Russia for all but two terrible photos of Slovenia)

They are decent. It just bugs me when teams use colors that have NOTHING to do with their country or flag. Like when Canada used black.

Except it does have something sorta to do with Slovenia, as the soccer team changed their colours back in the 90's to add green because it's in the colours of the Ljubljana, the capital. The hockey team followed suit, I guess.

Archived