2014 Sochi Olympic hockey sweaters

Frankie

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure it's a stretch, but why go there at all?

Because if you have to stretch to make the connection, you're not "there" at all.

I really don't think it's that much of a stretch. These organizations still exist today in, thankfully, small fragments. Touching on that idea at all is bad. At least it's the Canadian jersey and not the American one, I can't imagine too many neo-nazis being willing to wear a maple leaf.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I am not a history major so that never popped into my head. And this is the first I've heard of this comparison so maybe most people outside of here don't make that immediate connection?

You don't have to be a history major to notice it. I'm the only history major of the three hosts of Basically a Sports Show and both Still MIGHTY and infrared41 got the Nazi connection without me even having to point it out.

Sure it's a stretch, but why go there at all?

Because if you have to stretch to make the connection, you're not "there" at all.

We are "there" though. Not everyone is going to make the connection, but some people are making it. So it's not like something's being made out of nothing.

It's obviously not what they were going for, but the red band on the left arm on a black uniform is just something to stay away from. Funny thing is this whole thing could have been avoided if they had just put the stripes on both arms for Canada. Why that basic principal of hockey sweater design wasn't followed is beyond me.

Because Nike, that's why.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm no history major, although I do consider myself more history-literate than most*, and I saw it right away. Somebody, somewhere along the way at Nike had to have seen it. If your sports jersey looks even a little like the Nazis designed it, you're doing something wrong.

*not a big accomplishment

Not sure if this has been answered in here, I searched around and couldn't find it on the web.

It always comes up why teams wear certain colors for national events. IE: Italy in blue and the Netherlands in orange.

Why do US teams wear a dark blue rather than the same shade as in the flag? I've noticed it over the years and never thought much of it since it's still in the same color hue, but does anyone know if there is a rhyme or reason behind it?

The blue on the American flag is unique. It's darker then your standard royal blue, but it's not quite dark enough to be navy. The US used to employ royal blue for international competition, but switched over to navy to better match the flag. The flag isn't navy, but navy was seen as being closer to it then royal was.

My guess for why they don't use the exact shade the flag uses? Again, the flag uses a unique shade. So it's probably easier on manufacturers to mass produce gear in stock navy then it would be to use a custom shade of blue.

That's a poor excuse if that is their reasoning. I like navy blue, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have the red, white and blue to be the same as the flag.

Not sure if this has been answered in here, I searched around and couldn't find it on the web.

It always comes up why teams wear certain colors for national events. IE: Italy in blue and the Netherlands in orange.

Why do US teams wear a dark blue rather than the same shade as in the flag? I've noticed it over the years and never thought much of it since it's still in the same color hue, but does anyone know if there is a rhyme or reason behind it?

The blue on the American flag is unique. It's darker then your standard royal blue, but it's not quite dark enough to be navy. The US used to employ royal blue for international competition, but switched over to navy to better match the flag. The flag isn't navy, but navy was seen as being closer to it then royal was.

My guess for why they don't use the exact shade the flag uses? Again, the flag uses a unique shade. So it's probably easier on manufacturers to mass produce gear in stock navy then it would be to use a custom shade of blue.

Just imagine if when charged with designing a flag for the new nation, Betsy Ross had contacted Reebok for design and manufacturing guidance. Our blue would be the former "Seahawks" or "Pacific" or "Slate" or whatever it was called, and there would be no stripes, thereby making our flag 31.5% lighter than Great Britain's and probably leading to an earlier end to the conflict. Thousands of lives could have been spared.

Hahahaha. One of the best posts I've read here in some time.

2ly2w09.jpg

Did we see a release for the alts that USA are wearing? I can't remember seeing one?

1960 Uniforms

They wore them in the previous Winter Olympics...... but I didn't think they'd wear them again this year since we didn't hear anything about it. They still look manificent.

CCSLC sig 2016.jpg

20kujjp.jpg

I wonder if something happened to the new white jerseys and these white jerseys are back ups. The blue pants don't match the blue on the jerseys. I would think if they were planning on wearing them they would have brought pants that matched the blue on the jerseys.

I also find it odd that USA Hockey isn't selling these throwback jerseys with the shield patch on their website. They're still selling the 2011 World Juniors version.

They're also selling Nike Fan jerseys for $59.99. Does anyone know the quality of those and if they're worth buying?

Did we see a release for the alts that USA are wearing? I can't remember seeing one?

1960 Uniforms

They wore them in the previous Winter Olympics...... but I didn't think they'd wear them again this year since we didn't hear anything about it. They still look manificent.

%100 agree, I like these more than the 1980 throwbacks.

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

I wonder if something happened to the new white jerseys and these white jerseys are back ups. The blue pants don't match the blue on the jerseys. I would think if they were planning on wearing them they would have brought pants that matched the blue on the jerseys.

That happened at the World Junoirs, too. They only bring one pair of pants, so you're left with a bothersome royal/navy combination.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

That's a poor excuse if that is their reasoning. I like navy blue, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather have the red, white and blue to be the same as the flag.

Just imagine if when charged with designing a flag for the new nation, Betsy Ross had contacted Reebok for design and manufacturing guidance. Our blue would be the former "Seahawks" or "Pacific" or "Slate" or whatever it was called, and there would be no stripes, thereby making our flag 31.5% lighter than Great Britain's and probably leading to an earlier end to the conflict. Thousands of lives could have been spared.

Hahahaha. One of the best posts I've read here in some time.

I'm glad someone saw it - I thought it got lost in the shuffle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That happened at the World Junoirs, too. They only bring one pair of pants, so you're left with a bothersome royal/navy combination.

I find it funny that USA Hockey has no problem with mismatched jerseys and pants, but won't wear navy helmets because the shade of navy varies a little between manufacturers.

I understand why Canada has an alternate (so they have a third jersey to sell), but in a tournament when you're playing, what 7 games at the most, you definitely don't need one.

Need? No. But having it kept Austria v Canada from looking like Slovakia v USA.

I find it funny that USA Hockey has no problem with mismatched jerseys and pants, but won't wear navy helmets because the shade of navy varies a little between manufacturers.

well its uniform when everyones jerseys and pants are mismatched, versus having 5 different blue helmets for a team

White helmets have been standard for the USA for a while.
1134994_slide.jpg

56880970.jpg

97178832_10.jpg

oshie-quick_2824063b.jpg

Personally, I prefer it to this:
11_slide.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived