2014 MLB Changes (logo, uniform wise, etc)

TheFloridianLogoMan

IMO, nothing looks worse than when a team doesn't follow the traditional "team name at home, city name on the road" protocol. To me, it looks minor league and cheap when a team doesn't do it and reflects a lack of pride in the city they represent.

Are you :censored:ing kidding me?

I'm serious. Tell me you're :censored:ing kidding.

I am sure he's not kidding.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to see that it looks minor league and cheap, but I most definitely do not like to see the same exact wordmark at home and on the road. Obviously, in this era we all know what team is from where, etc. but the tradition dates back to a day when the home team would wear the team name (because Pirate fans already knew they were in Pittsburgh) and played against a team wearing "Chicago" on its jersey; the home fans knew them as "Chicago", not really as "Cubs". Obviously, today, we pretty much know everyone by their name, but it's still a charming little tradition to wear "Pirates" at home and "Pittsburgh" on the road. Even though such historic teams as the Tigers and Yankees don't quite do that, most have a history with it and I wish teams like the Brewers would do it now.

I tend to agree with giving the Phillies a pass because of what "Phillies" means along with the length of the name (though I would rather they use the above photo).

There's 'charming tradition', which is fine, and then there's brain-melting bull :censored: like 'it's minor league and shows a lack of pride in their city'. I can deal with the usual zealotry about wordmarks, I see it every time I browse here, but when people try to rationalize the home-team-road-city thing like it's the only logical thing to do, I've just had enough.

There shouldn't be a blanket opinion about it, it should boil down to the team in question. A tiny Philadelphia script on those road uniforms would look bad. The Cardinals' St. Louis script doesn't look very good. Tampa Bay on the Rays' roads would look like crap. On the flipside there's some teams whose city mark looks better than the team name mark and whom I would be fine with using it for everything, I'm thinking specifically of Oakland, Seattle, and Kansas City. And of course Texas, who in 2009 figured out that their city wordmark looked a gazillion times better than that godawful Rangers wordmark. If they lose the dropshadow (another case-by-case thing) on it they'll have the best set in the league.

Did you actually stop and read what you wrote? It's pretty hypocritical. On one hand you call it "bush league" whatever that means, when a team uses the nickname on the front of the jersey, then in the next paragraph you say it should boil down to the team in question, and some it doesn't look good on. What? Have you ever thought maybe the powers that be in Philadelphia have tried time and time again to put the city name on the jersey and it looks bad? It has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of pride in their city, unless you're talking Arte Moreno. It has everything to do with trying to look good. Miami has "Miami" on their jerseys and the whole set looks like crap. Until you can bring a sensible argument to the board, sit back, watch, and learn how to do it before you go off and post another contradictory post like this one.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One team that desperatley needs a new look is San Diego. Bring back the 1985-1990 set

Dodgers need "Dodgers" back on the road uniform.

Giants need to make the Sunday road the permanent road set.

Cubs new road uniform still hasn't been confirmed but it needs to look like the 1990-1993 set.

Reds could bring back the 1993-1996 white with pinstripes for an alternate.

Pirates need to go back to the 1987-1996 look.

Brewers either 1987 or 1994-1997 set.

Braves need to get rid of the Navy Alternate and Road cap and just use the Standard cap for all Road games.

Indians need to go back to the 1986-1993 look. (Major League)

Tigers road set needs to look like the 1984 set.

Twins need to make the "M" cap the home cap.

One team that desperatley needs a new look is San Diego. Bring back the 1985-1990 set

Dodgers need "Dodgers" back on the road uniform.

Giants need to make the Sunday road the permanent road set.

Cubs new road uniform still hasn't been confirmed but it needs to look like the 1990-1993 set.

Reds could bring back the 1993-1996 white with pinstripes for an alternate.

Pirates need to go back to the 1987-1996 look.

Brewers either 1987 or 1994-1997 set.

Braves need to get rid of the Navy Alternate and Road cap and just use the Standard cap for all Road games.

Indians need to go back to the 1986-1993 look. (Major League)

Tigers road set needs to look like the 1984 set.

Twins need to make the "M" cap the home cap.

Brewers and Braves are the only decent ones here. Maybe the Twins though they've used the M cap usually an alt or road cap.

Every other one you listed would be a vastly significant downgrade.

Did you actually stop and read what you wrote? It's pretty hypocritical. On one hand you call it "bush league" whatever that means, when a team uses the nickname on the front of the jersey, then in the next paragraph you say it should boil down to the team in question, and some it doesn't look good on. What? Have you ever thought maybe the powers that be in Philadelphia have tried time and time again to put the city name on the jersey and it looks bad? It has absolutely nothing to do with a lack of pride in their city, unless you're talking Arte Moreno. It has everything to do with trying to look good. Miami has "Miami" on their jerseys and the whole set looks like crap. Until you can bring a sensible argument to the board, sit back, watch, and learn how to do it before you go off and post another contradictory post like this one.

Did you stop and read what I wrote? Or the guy I was responding to? Because if you did, and had an ounce of reading comprehension, you'd have noticed that the guy who originally said it was 'bush league' and 'showed a lack of pride in their city' (Lights Out, here's the proof!) and the guy who said there shouldn't be a blanket take on it and should boil down to the team in question, and actually :censored:ing said that the Philadelphia script doesn't look good (me) are two different people.

So. Until you can muster up the effort to sort out who actually said what in this whole thing without turning into a wall-eyed, drooling, blithering buffoon, please take your own holier-than-thou advice about sitting on the sidelines until you can say something sensible.

Jesus.

^You are wrong about pretty much everything. Also, you need to chill.

I'm dead :censored:ing right about pretty much everything I post. About your notion that I need to chill, let your avatar be a hint as to what my response to that is.

I'm dead :censored:ing right about pretty much everything I post. About your notion that I need to chill, let your avatar be a hint as to what my response to that is.

No you're not, your opinion isn't fact, its just that, an opinion. Like Rangers I think makes a fine wordmark for a jersey. But guess what I'm not going to say that is a fact, it's just what I think.

Also here's a tip, calling stuff "Godawful", "Hideous", italicizing words to make your point and more importantly, inserting ": :censored::ing" makes you come off pretty bad, immature and that you think you're opinions and yourself is better than everyone.

No you're not, your opinion isn't fact, its just that, an opinion. Like Rangers I think makes a fine wordmark for a jersey. But guess what I'm not going to say that is a fact, it's just what I think.

Also here's a tip, calling stuff "Godawful", "Hideous", italicizing words to make your point and more importantly, inserting ": :censored::ing" makes you come off pretty bad, immature and that you think you're opinions and yourself is better than everyone.

Don't educate me about opinion vs fact, educate Old Roman. He's the guy who keeps popping up everywhere right after I post to throw in pointless garbage like 'no', 'incorrect', or 'you're wrong about pretty much everything'. Why am I getting flack for pushing back in kind? And I'll use whatever language I please.

I'm dead :censored: ing right about pretty much everything I post.
Please tell me you're a troll, or that you're putting on some kind of Internet tough-guy persona. There's no way you're for real.

Oh, and to the statement at hand. No. You're not.

Note that I prefaced my post with "IMO," as in, "in my OPINION." C's, on the other hand, has gone on a very odd and completely unprovoked meltdown and is pretending that his opinion is a fact.

And for the record, C's, if my OPINION that teams should always wear their city name on the road is really enough to make you throw an embarrassing tantrum like this, you're in dire need of a life.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I'm dead :censored: ing right about pretty much everything I post.
Please tell me you're a troll, or that you're putting on some kind of Internet tough-guy persona. There's no way you're for real.

Oh, and to the statement at hand. No. You're not.

You're right, I'm not for real. I'm a bot. Just kidding, I'm CC97's alt.

I admit this is a pretty silly thing to keep carrying on, but as long as you people keep quoting me to take more pot shots, I'm kind of obligated to defend myself.

Archived