2014 FIFA World Cup

DS729

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, the first time a defending champion was the first team eliminated from the tournament.

Second team. Australia were the first team today to be eliminated.

They were eliminated simultaneously, so technically they're still the first.

It is also the 5th time a defending champ has been knocked out in the group stage.

Italy 1950

Brazil 1966

France 2002

Italy 2010

glory10.png

I'll go ahead and put my "money" on...

• 4/1 on Argentina to win the World Cup
  • 11/10 on Brazil and Croatia to advance from Group A
  • 5/6 on Chile to advance from Group B
  • 3/1 on Côte d'Ivoire to win Group C
  • 9/4 on Uruguay and England to advance from Group D
  • 4/1 on France to win all three group stage matches in Group E
  • 3/1 on Nigeria to finish bottom in Group F
  • 11/4 on Ghana to advance from Group G
  • 9/5 on Belgium to finish 1st and Russia to finish 2nd in Group H
  • 12/1 on Sergio Agüero to win the Golden Boot

Let's see how this goes.

Using this as a springboard to make some commentary on the tournament as a whole...

I had a pretty good feeling this Chilean team would make some noise—I wouldn't have been shocked to see Spain out in the group stages, just not like this.

Uruguay and England both won't make it out of D—only way it could happen is if everyone finishes 1-1-1 and even then, Uruguay and England would have to win big.

Ghana's not getting out of G and for that, I'm thrilled.

EDIT: Anyways, perhaps we should've seen this coming with Spain after the club campaign. After Barça's less-than-successful season and the thrashing of Bayern in the Champions League semi-final, maybe the writing was on the wall for tiki-taka.

6fQjS3M.png

Also, the first time a defending champion was the first team eliminated from the tournament.

Actually Australia was eliminated first since the Netherlands handed them their second loss (effectively eliminating them) before Spain and Chile played.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Actually Australia was eliminated first since the Netherlands handed them their second loss (effectively eliminating them) before Spain and Chile played.

Sure they were effectively eliminated. But if Spain were to have won their match, Australia could've advanced if they had beaten Spain. Therefore Australia was only eliminated when Spain lost.

1zqy8ok.gif

Sure they were effectively eliminated. But if Spain were to have won their match, Australia could've advanced if they had beaten Spain. Therefore Australia was only eliminated when Spain lost.

You are right actually now that I went back and went through the scenarios in my head but I believe that the Netherlands would also have to beat Chile for Australia to have advanced as well.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Technically speaking, Cameroon still play a role in Group A; with a win over Brazil and a CRO-MEX draw, Mexico would win the group with Croatia coming in second over Brazil on goal differential (+2 for Croatia vs. +1 or worse for Brazil).

Not like that'll happen, but, hey, it's still a possibility, I suppose.

25yzwqg.png

Archived