College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think HBCUs always make terrible uniform decisions.

To my knowledge, this it the last year which HBCUs are under contract with Russell for uniforms.

I believe that the majority, if not all SWAC/MEAC/CIAA schools have had a blanket shoe deal from Nike since 2007.

Next year, a problem may arise if the schools who possess more of a national name (Grambling/Southern/Jackson St./FAMU/Howard) want to have more $$$ than their conference mates

Southern has new uniforms with jaguar spotted numbers.

Bs1d4-ICAAADKIf.jpg

This isn't new. Southern wore them at last year's Bayou Classic.

Also as a student of a HBCU, Russell isnt worth the money nor the eyesore. It feels embarrassing wearing their uniforms and warmup gear in any sport. RA's tshirts are actually good though.

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

I was under the impression that Grambling's athletic dept. is nearly broke. If they can get any better uniform deal it can't come a moment too soon

Most HBCUs are running major deficits regardless and some also have greater NCAA restrictions/penalties placed on them due to the APR.

I know that for the MEAC, part of the current Nike deal for shoes was that each school must annually purchase as much as $20,000 worth of sports merchandise from Nike. so it is basically a trade off. What the MEAC got were summer internships from Nike. So essentially the cost of an internship was equal or greater than the Nike merchandise given to them.

Regardless of a conference deal or a separate deal which an individual HBCU may be able to obtain, the issue of cashflow will still be there.

Some student governments at major HBCUs paid for uniforms, which many students upset because the contracts stated that Russell was to provide all uniforms.

As someone who truly loves and heavily watches HBCUs, I would really love for them to get rid of Russell. I'm tired of seeing Jackson State and the rest of the SWAC in the garbage that they tend to wear. They deserve better, but they just can't afford it.

As someone who truly loves and heavily watches HBCUs, I would really love for them to get rid of Russell. I'm tired of seeing Jackson State and the rest of the SWAC in the garbage that they tend to wear. They deserve better, but they just can't afford it.

Nike, adidas, ua generic stuff is cheap

Russell is capable of designer something but whoever is designing this trash needs to be fired, nobody thinks this looks good.

Houston has posted on their Facebook and twitter that they will be unveiling new uniforms next Wednesday. I really disliked their 2013 set, so I think this is a good move as they move into the new TDECU Stadium.

houstonunitease_zps2595447a.jpg

Here's hoping the red jerseys with white shoulder yokes are a thing of the past.

Tease pic #2

houstonnewuni2_zpsba32b7c6.jpg

:huh: I'm getting a sinking feeling here...

New helmets for the USF Bulls...no changes to the uniforms.

10516752_10152566802829600_7759058167379

So embarrassing that I had to search back to find it.

It took us what, 10 years to fix the old helmets? And in year one of that, they ruin the jerseys. Now they make the helmets terrible again, and we're back where we started. Except now, instead of a completely boring and dull set, now we have a complete mish-mash of modern and gawdy.

SigReflect.png

Brian Kelly apparently won a battle, as Notre Dame Stadium will have Field Turf this fall.

The football field itself will include the traditional diagonal striping in both end zones. There will be 18 lines (nine in each end zone), and they will be oriented at 42-degree angles toward the Basilica and the Golden Dome. The numbers 18 and 42 represent 1842, the year the University was founded.

There will be a traditional interlocking ND logo at midfield, and the 35-yard-line marks for kickoffs will include small green shamrocks.

"The interlocking ND is the most recognized symbol of our University and its athletics programs, and we wanted to communicate that to our fans and all those viewing our home games on NBC," said Notre Dame vice president and athletics director Jack Swarbrick.

53c71eb457347.preview-300_zpsvybf53nl.jp

There are too many "good idea fairies" in college sports. Enough with the "We want to communicate this to our fans". Real fans don't need to be pandered to.

You know if the players got paid, they wouldn't have to funnel money to marketing consultants and design consultants to zero out the budget.

Something to think about.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I first heard the rumor on Illinois Loyalty.

Was Nike's reasoning they couldn't mass-produce the blue dye? If the rumor's true, that's unfortunate because it was my favorite jersey they debuted.
The reasoning I heard was that since the school had to replace uniforms for so many sports because of the rebrand they didn't have funds for 4 sets of football uniforms (orange, navy, grey & white). Apparently for some reason someone decided to get grey uniforms this year and wait until next year to get navy uniforms. I'm assuming the players and recruits were a factor in the decision. The school still hasn't confirmed no navy uniforms this year, but everything so far is pointing to that.

How on earth could a school in the B1G run out of nikebucks to procure new uniforms immediately after the unveiling of a rebrand? I thought the schools minted money off these apparel deals with their suppliers?

The state aid checks to the university come in the form of IOUs. That's one reason. The other is the vacant space between the ears of current Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is a rumor going around from the guy who runs Duke's Scout.com board that he has seen the 2015 Duke uniforms and that the 2014 uniforms are really only a 1 year throwback to the 25th anniversary of Spurrier's 1989 ACC co-championship. He says the 2015 uniforms go back to the 2008-13 jerseys, but upgraded to new materials (presumably Speed Machine or its ilk).

Seems a bit early to have intel on 2015 uniforms....

Archived