College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aren't the uniforms provided to Duke by Nike at no cost? Duke is one of Nike's upper-echelon/premier schools.

In any event, I doubt game-worn uniforms for a football team are a huge expenditure. Probably $40-$50K for three sets. (paging BRice16)

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Aren't the uniforms provided to Duke by Nike at no cost? Duke is one of Nike's upper-echelon/premier schools.

In any event, I doubt game-worn uniforms for a football team are a huge expenditure. Probably $40-$50K for three sets. (paging BRice16)

Duke's contract with Nike states they get X amount of free gear. It's up to Duke how that's allocated. Duke has to pay for anything over the amount listed in the contract.

Duke is Elite for basketball, but they weren't a tier 1 Nike football school last year. Maybe they were promoted this offseason?

You probably know better than I do..I just assumed the entire athletic department at Duke was "elite" status, but this assumption could be way off.

Duke's contract with Nike states they get X amount of free gear. It's up to Duke how that's allocated. Duke has to pay for anything over the amount listed in the contract.

Roger that, thanks!

TTU wearing throwbacks this year

Zach Thomas throwbacks...black jerseys with the double sleeve stripes, silver pants, black helmet with unbeveled TT. To be worn against Arkansas.

Northern Illinois is going to be wearing special commemorative jerseys during their home opener in honor of "Corn Fest", a popular free music festival in Illinois. The jerseys were designed to represent Corn Fest and DeKalb, IL. The jerseys haven't been released yet, but the Corn Fest website has an auction for them beginning August 8th, so I'm assuming that's when we'll see them.

Is there a worst unis of the year award? These have quite a bit of potential.

It's _____________ and Toledo still sucks.

[insert time here]

10590194.jpg

Looks like very similar pants to the Atlanta Falcons of the 90s

I love that look (minus the 90s half shirt).

I love the look. I'd just love to see a red version of that to go along with "Red Raiders".

One of my co-workers is an Alum of Duke University where he played the TE position for the team and he said that the uniforms that where introduced a few weeks ago are indeed only to be worn this year and they will have new uniforms next year. I don't know if he is right, but I asked him how they could afford to buy these uniforms and he said the University has more money than people realize and the fact that season tickets raised up to $300 a ticket this year could be a factor.

Is Duke going through some sort of rebrand

Duke had its rebrand in the summer of 2011 - consisted of making the Iron Duke D the primary mark, the Devil Head the secondary mark, getting rid of the Iron Duke D with the Devil Head (which was the primary mark). The rebrand also removed the Duke Basketball logo from uniforms etc., but it still remains as a secondary mark. Duke also tweaked the block word mark very slightly and the number font was slightly modified from its standard block, most notably in the 2s and 5s. The football uniforms are more consistent but still slightly inconsistent. That was also the year that Duke's new long-term all sport Nike Team Sports contract which had been transitioning for three years when the latest deal was signed, completed becoming the supplier for all 26 varsity sports.

Duke is Elite for basketball, but they weren't a tier 1 Nike football school last year. Maybe they were promoted this offseason?

You probably know better than I do..I just assumed the entire athletic department at Duke was "elite" status, but this assumption could be way off.

Roger that, thanks!

TTU wearing throwbacks this year

Zach Thomas throwbacks...black jerseys with the double sleeve stripes, silver pants, black helmet with unbeveled TT. To be worn against Arkansas.

Duke's been a top tier Nike school for years (they signed the new Nike Team Sports contract in 2008 as I noted in the last post and finished transitioning in all sports with the "rebrand" in 2011. Most Duke sports have been Nike supplied since the mid-2000s with men's basketball going back to 1993-4 and women's basketball going back to 1995-6. Duke gets all the top line stuff in every sport except, for some reason, it uses the catalog ordered uniforms in football (it has all of the other nike football gear that the big schools have though). Duke is platinum elite in men's basketball, silver elite in women's basketball and gets all sorts of innovative gear in men's lacrosse and even gets the top line gear for baseball despite not making the NCAAs since 1961.

i don't think a school that was using the destroyer template until last year could be an elite nike school for football anyway

What are.you talking about? Oklahoma, Texas, UGA, and FSU were all using the destroyer template until last year or 2012. Those are all elite Nike schools.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

i don't think a school that was using the destroyer template until last year could be an elite nike school for football anyway

What are.you talking about? Oklahoma, Texas, UGA, and FSU were all using the destroyer template until last year or 2012. Those are all elite Nike schools.

Please, there's no way the National Champions are elite :rolleyes:.

10590194.jpg

Looks like very similar pants to the Atlanta Falcons of the 90s

I love that look (minus the 90s half shirt).

I love the look. I'd just love to see a red version of that to go along with "Red Raiders".

b0f408d59be34e8622ed40bc628b7809b92f9182

Please, there's no way the National Champions are elite :rolleyes:.

'Elite' is a technical term when it comes to Nike. Of course, it only applies to their basketball line. Their football programs are on 'Tiers.'

From every picture I've seen so far, OU will continue to use the destroyer template for their standard uniforms again this year. Though, their alternates are the PC Hypercool template.

Archived