College Football 2014 Season

buckeye

Houston just went from trying too hard with the fill-tool, order your own template to not trying hard enough.

Either get a classic looking uniform without nonsense sleeve inserts and generic pants stripes, or get a uniform where there was effort in the identity involved. Is Nike not willing to work with some schools on unique designs?

Houston isn't worth the resources unless Houston is willing to pay, Nike would bend over backwards for likes of Bama, Texas, OSU.

Do mid majors at least have an art department at the school that could help the athletic dept pick and choose from the nike catalog? Seems like that could be a low cost solution to a full nike rebrand.

it really wouldn't help because its just picking between what panels to make what color, and a limited variety of stripes. i feel they could have had TV numbers on the sleeves though.

Obviously you would not get blank canvas designs and options in the catalog are quite limited but having some design expertise could add a bit of clarity/sanity to the process for the simple effect of preventing on field aesthetic disasters.

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BtQh7PtCEAA55zc.jpg

BtQopJkCQAAWKR2.jpg

Meanin no disrespect, but are you gonna post and run without identifying the team? I have a relatively in-depth knowledge of CFB but am not sure which program these photos are representing.

Eastern Tennessee State I believe

yep from their logo unveil earlier (logos here >> http://www.etsubucs.com/media/General%20PDF/2014-15/easttennesseest_ath.pdf )....oh god they jumped on the bfbs train or do they have previous history with black?

i dont want to jump the gun too quickly

Cal Bears | Miami Dolphins | Cleveland Cavaliers |
@dcjames5

Aren't the uniforms provided to Duke by Nike at no cost? Duke is one of Nike's upper-echelon/premier schools.

In any event, I doubt game-worn uniforms for a football team are a huge expenditure. Probably $40-$50K for three sets. (paging BRice16)

Duke's contract with Nike states they get X amount of free gear. It's up to Duke how that's allocated. Duke has to pay for anything over the amount listed in the contract.

I can't speak for all schools, but at most Nike and adidas schools, uniforms in football and men's basketball don't count against the X amount of free gear. The reason? Replicas of those jerseys are sold at retail. It is in the company's best interests to supply multiple sets and to tweak them each year to move more product at retail.

That's why the Illinois blue jersey saga in this thread has me stumped. I feel like if the school wanted four football jerseys, Nike would ship them four football jerseys so they could sell them at retail. Something in that story doesn't add up.

SMU's jerseys look cheap, yet they are a classic look?

69_Charles.jpg

Yeah, the blue jerseys are a classic look. Much better than the red jerseys with the awkward three stripes. They're pretty much back to the Dickerson/James uniforms (though my favorite look was the 1989 uniforms)

1989 (post-Death Penalty):

42_homecoming.jpg

Pre-Death Penalty:

SMUdickersonCropped.jpg

I respectfully disagree. The red pony on the helmet is far superior to the blue one.

Those UH uniforms are so boring, I'm falling asleep just looking at them.

Personally I'll take boring over ugly any day of the week, but to each his own.

No doubt and I think anybody who knows me on here knows I prefer plain uniforms, but these are just too much (or too little) for my liking. I hate cap sleeves. I don't like having stripes on pants, but not the helmet. I don't like having a contrasting facemask on one helmet, but not the other. I don't like the lack of a logo on the collar V. And I think the font may even be too boring.

IMO, you could fix all of those things and have a plain uniform that isn't this blah.

The other thing is, I think a uniform should fit a program. I think Texas has the perfect uniforms for the school, but they wouldn't work for a school like TCU or Boise, etc... I think UH could have (and should have) gone a little more outside the box for their uniforms, but that's JMO.

Fair enough.

A couple of additional notes from yesterday's press conference. First, the earlier player photos were taken a couple of weeks ago before the conference logo patches were added.

HOUSTONCOUGARSUNIFORMS2014SMALL_zps98a52

Second, Coach Levine mentioned the possibility of different gloves and/or shoes as well as alternate helmet decals this season. This may or may not be a reference to the rumored 1989 throwbacks that are to be worn for homecoming as part of the festivities honoring the 25th anniversary of Andre Ware's Heisman season.

Archived