Orioles-Braves Sunday

slapshot

This has probably been posted already, but I didn't see it, and I figure this belongs on the main logo/uniform board.

I saw a bit of the O's-Braves game today. Those Orioles uniforms looked beautiful. I think they were from 1968, and the Braves were 1969-72 era roads. I think these would be perfect for the Orioles to use now. Just update the script and keep the current bird (the old one is too cartoony, but might work as a patch). I think these unis are a great balance of black and orange. The O's now have a lot of orange, and I think they sacrifice legibility with the lettering by not having enough black. Black lettering for the names above orange numbers seems a perfect fit. I don't mind the vests, and the socks were cool too.

In comparison, the Braves looked very drab. Almost monochromatic (a little red, not much). Definitely not as "fun" as Baltimore's.

If someone can find some pics, that would be good too.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I smell mutton! :hockeysmiley:

ok seriously. I didnt mind the orioles throwbacks, except for the cartoon bird on the hat. if they pulled a pittsburgh pirates with those uniforms and brought it back today with the current bird rather then the cartoon id be cool with it

the braves though, they were just blah and boring.

wow...I almost got Shark to like a retro uni :D

Seriously, you and I seem to agree that these would look great with a minimum of contemporary tweaking (the current script and current hat)...very similar to what the Pirates did. The red the Pirates added wasn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt the whole theme...it actually complements the yellow numbers on the black alts (and that's the only place it appears as well)

BAAAAA :P

when my new computer gets up and running, I might work up this idea for a concept

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

this is OT but i didnt want to start a new thread..

the Mets played in thire black road alts today vs the Yanks like so...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/...kees_nyy113.jpg

but some of the newly called up players, such as Tom Wilson below, wore the Mets black HOME alts, like so...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/...kees_nyy216.jpg

just thought id add that

untitled-1.png

I know those "oops-es" must violate some uniform rule. Couldn't they run down the Sports Authority and pick up the extras?

lol like that commersial with mo vaughn..lol

i remember a pitcher on the Twins did this last year where he switched unis bc his road alt was wet but he put on his home alt and was forced to change again

untitled-1.png

this is OT but i didnt want to start a new thread..

the Mets played in thire black road alts today vs the Yanks like so...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/...kees_nyy113.jpg

but some of the newly called up players, such as Tom Wilson below, wore the Mets black HOME alts, like so...

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/...kees_nyy216.jpg

just thought id add that

Ha! I didn't even notice that!

ESPN Article on Mets jersey snafu

Yeah, these two uniforms would have been used at the same time during 1968 and 1969. The Orioles look really good and the Braves looked alright. I like the all blue caps. On the Braves TBS telecast the announcers were talking about the uniforms and said they were created originally to make the Braves "the Yankees of the South" what with the very simple layout and pinstripes at home.

I like that Indian Head the Braves had on the shoulder. I wish the world wasn't so damn sissy and PC, and we could rock that again.

Speaking of sissies..

lcrbc040628.gif

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The patch is bad in general, and worse as a logo. If that came out as new you'd all likely lambast it as having no design merit.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Bah!

I love the laughing Brave.... its camp, retro, and non-PC all at once! Perfect!

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The Braves did 2 things wrong with these throwbacks. First, they wore the wrong pants. The pants should have been plain gray with no piping, but instead they wore the current pants. Second, they should have worn blue stirrups but instead were just wearing the blue socks they use now(the Orioles wore the correct stirrups). I think both teams wore the current helmets, but that's understandable. From what I can tell from Dressed to the Nines, the Orioles were perfect.

I can't really comment on the accuracy of the Braves uniforms, but I CAN tell you that the Orioles were close...but no cigar.

Socks: OK going from the bottom, until you hit the second white stripe, at which point the stirrup should go back to orange...instead they went white, black, orange, black.

Pants: that piping didn't appear until the seventies.

Jerseys: O's wore the same fat football numbers that Atlanta currently wears on their home jerseys in the sixties. Stripes around the sleeves and neck should have been three stripes not two. NOB should have been the same arch style as Atlanta currently uses. (Having said that, I actually LIKE what they did wrong with the numbers and NOB...I hate the numbers and NOB lettering that Atlanta uses. So, by screwing that up, they actually improved the jersey! :lol: )

Archived