2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series

rvrdgsfn

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A week ago, I mentioned how Jeff Gordon was no longer the guy NASCAR fans love to hate.

Well, I just watched an old "Top 5 reasons you can't blame" on diehard NASCAR fans for hating Gordon.

One of the reasons they mentioned was Brooke and how their seemingly perfect marriage back in the day rubbed some fans the wrong way- this was when everything Gordon touched turned to gold.

Keep in mind he's not the only NASCAR driver that got married at a time they became big stars early (Matt Kenseth) or hailed from California (Kevin Harvick, who got married to Delana just a few weeks before the famous first win).

Do you think it was a case of the Gordons seemingly being too perfect? Or that Brooke never seemed to dive headfirst into the sport like, say, DeLana Harvick?

Remember, Brooke was a Miss WInston before they married. She didn't really like the life of a NASCAR wife. Add to it the Earnhardt fans insisting Gordon was gay AND Dale Sr hated him (Hated him so much they went into business for a while).

His current wife, Ingrid Van Den Bousch, a former model, LOVES the NASCAR family life, though his has a nanny, but then again, so do most of the drivers with kids.

Delana Harvick is a child of a small track driver. She was born into racing.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Scary news out of the Nationwide series: Milka Dunno has a ride!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAVE FUN GUYS

ALSO: MrRangersFan, if you could stop it with the post padding by letting everyone know when there's a wreck during a race, that'd be great. It's fine to discuss the happenings of the race while it goes on but the key word is discuss, not inform. If people want to know what's going on in the race, they're going to have better ways to find it out—watching the race, following on Twitter, etc.

It's post padding and keeps the topic at the top of the forum non-organically, pushing down other threads where there are actually discussions going on.

Thanks.

(Oh, and IndyCar's better. :P)

K. Thanks for telling me,Carson. But I like NASCAR better than Indycar. Just my opinion.

Here's an interesting opinion of mine about the Chase:

I think it could have worked out long-term under the old format with a simple tweak- Freeze the top 10 and those within 400 points of the leader, BUT no points adjusting and leave that as it is.

I believe had they done that, you could have had the best of both worlds- keep the playoff feel, but make the seedings feel a bit truer, and you don't punish the guys at the top.

Had this been in place- well, Jeff Gordon would have been a six-time champion and considering how NASCAR fans have felt about him/Jimmie, would NASCAR fans have felt better or worse if he, not Jimmie, was Mr. Six-Time?

Eh, we still can't make any Championship predictions thanks to everything turning into a 4 driver crapshoot at Homestead

Agreed. It's all about who gets hot at the right time. Gordon's been steady all year but if he falters during the chase, the he gon'.

Are there any good, reliable ways to stream Sprint Cup races online? There isn't any official way of doing it through NASCAR or the channels that televise the races outside of ESPN3, is there? I'm looking to get rid of cable because it's expensive and me and the wife can make do with Netflix, Hulu, etc., but I'd hate for it to mean I can't watch the races anymore in halfway decent quality. Races on Fox shouldn't be an issue but other than that, I'm not sure.

IUe6Hvh.png

NASCAR is not usually associated with chokes/collapses since the circumstances are different, but can you ever recall any instances of a NASCAR chokejob? (i.e. a driver blowing a race they had in the bag late or a big-time standings drop or blowing a title late in the season).

The only one I can recall- and this hurts me to say it because he was one of my guys- was Elliott Sadler in 2005. 3rd in the overall standings going into the Pepsi 400, didn't even make the Chase (albeit would have made it if top 12 were involved).

Honorable mention- Bobby Labonte in 2004. Were as high as 4th in the standings after June Michigan, then tumbled out of the Chase following the baffling firing of Fatback McSwain (They were 6th in the standings after his last race as crew chief for JGR and finished 7th at July Daytona 2 weeks ago)

NASCAR is not usually associated with chokes/collapses since the circumstances are different, but can you ever recall any instances of a NASCAR chokejob? (i.e. a driver blowing a race they had in the bag late or a big-time standings drop or blowing a title late in the season).

The only one I can recall- and this hurts me to say it because he was one of my guys- was Elliott Sadler in 2005. 3rd in the overall standings going into the Pepsi 400, didn't even make the Chase (albeit would have made it if top 12 were involved).

Honorable mention- Bobby Labonte in 2004. Were as high as 4th in the standings after June Michigan, then tumbled out of the Chase following the baffling firing of Fatback McSwain (They were 6th in the standings after his last race as crew chief for JGR and finished 7th at July Daytona 2 weeks ago)

Tim Brewer cost Bill Elliott a title in 1992.

Mark Martin choked due to fuel in numerous races in the 90s and choked the titles.

Hamlin choked in 2010 at PIR. "Desani Denny" as he hit the water bottle against the pit rail in disgust with Dr. Jerry. That YouTube video is classic.

Question- do you think the race should go on as planned today?

We've seen different types of tragic situations that happened before race day- Ernie Irvan, Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki- and the races went on as scheduled.

While this was different, I just want to get your take here.

We've seen different types of tragic situations that happened before race day- Ernie Irvan, Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki- and the races went on as scheduled.

You also had the J.D. McDuffie crash at Watkins Glen really early on in the 1991 running of the Budweiser at the Glen. NASCAR and tragedy seem to have some sort of magnetism to each other, simple as that.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

You also had the J.D. McDuffie crash at Watkins Glen really early on in the 1991 running of the Budweiser at the Glen. NASCAR and tragedy seem to have some sort of magnetism to each other, simple as that.

Racing is a dangerous sport... Simple as that

Danica way down in the standings... I think we all knew she wouldn't make an "impact" in NASCAR. ... at least she is out of IndyCar.

Well she never made an "impact" in IndyCar, so...

That said, I'd love to have her back because of the interest she created in open-wheel racing.

6fQjS3M.png

Results from Watkins Glen:

1. Allmendinger

2. Ambrose

3. Kurt Busch

4. Larson

5. Edwards

6. Logano

7. Harvick

8. Biffle

9. Kenseth

10. Vickers

This was a crazy Watkins Glen race. The final laps didn't disappoint & now AJ is in the chase. Next up is Michigan...

SN: It looks like everything is falling into place at JGR...

http://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cup/news/could-there-be-a-crew-chief-shuffle-at-jgr-in-2015/

Could there be a change in the crew chief line up at Joe Gibbs Racing?

Before Darian Grubb found himself on sabbatical following infractions on the No. 11 Toyota in the Brickyard 400, there was chatter of a crew chief shuffle at JGR for 2015 in the advent of Carl Edwards’ arrival.

Over the last four months, JGR has been recruiting for the fourth team for Edwards – which is expected to be supported by Toyota Care, Subway and a sponsor that’s currently with another driver. But could Grubb be a candidate to lead Edwards’ crew?

“They’re trying to put together the race teams and everything but I haven’t noticed anything being different for us,” Denny Hamlin said. “I think literally that will be an October question more so than right now because all the crew chiefs are so worried about how we’re going to run in the Chase.

baltimoreravens.png

Remember how I said when Gordon won at Indy that it was the happiest I've ever seen anyone win a race? That's changed in the past 10 minutes.

CONGRATS AJ! You deserve it!

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

That was a GREAT win for AJ. He really deserves that. I cant belive that AJ is in the chase.

YES! After all AJ was through; being on Penske, to being out of the sport; to Phoenix Racing and then to JTG Daughtery racing, he was through so much. He and Marcos has one epic duel, reminded me of watching videos of Ricky Rudd and Rusty Wallace's classic duels on Sonoma and Watkins Glen and both deserved it, and both poured their hearts out and left it all on the track.

spacer.png

84p0o3A.png

Archived