Did the Padres change logo?

RETROJR79

Navy and "sand" looks like what every dorky white guy wears to the office on casual day. Sports uniforms should have some boldness to them, not look like discount polo shirts and khakis purchased at the Gap outlet store.

The sand is just so dull, especially when paired with a non-bold color. I would imagine there's a psychological effect to wearing primary or at least bold colors like yellow, red, royal, etc. Maybe it excited or stimulates the brain rather than calm it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was in San Diego last week and caught a Padres game. Surprisingly to me, the hat I saw most often by a considerable margin (besides the current) around town and at the game was:

pMLB2-13567114dt.jpg

Surprising to me, because I would have figured it would be one of the brown or gold hats. It made me wonder if we uni nerds like the brown and gold for the Padres more than actual Padres fans do. (Granted, this was just one game and one week around town, so take it with a grain of salt. )

90758391980.gif

And to say that "the Padres are brown & yellow, period" is just false. They've been wearing navy now longer than they wore any combination involving brown.

But not in a good or consistent way. The navy is more like trying on different shirts and then throwing them in the discard pile. They are constantly tinkering which shows they at least "get" that it's not working. No one look ever really takes. The brown and yellow were the original and most consistent look the Padres have ever had.

Again, if you did not grow up with the Padres in the 70s and 80s I can see how its difficult to understand the love for brown. As someone else mentioned, maybe it's just the names of the colors. Maybe today's fan needs some chic-y color names like Espresso and Pacific Sunset.

There are countless examples of sports logos and color schemes that I don't particularly like but that are loved by their fan bases. I don't try and convince them that what they love is bad. It's their reality, what they lived. There is a lot to be said for that.

Navy and "sand" looks like what every dorky white guy wears to the office on casual day. Sports uniforms should have some boldness to them, not look like discount polo shirts and khakis purchased at the Gap outlet store.

The sand is just so dull, especially when paired with a non-bold color. I would imagine there's a psychological effect to wearing primary or at least bold colors like yellow, red, royal, etc. Maybe it excited or stimulates the brain rather than calm it.

Teams that wear red win more often; teams that wear black have more penalties called on them, kinda interesting stuff. I'm sure other colors have different effects too.

I believe that MLB teams that wear navy blue have won more World Series than with any other color. Yet, it just isn't working for the Padres.

If you factor the mild amounts of navy in the Red Sox and Cardinals, you pretty much have like 85% of World Series wins covered.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

I'm with you in that "unique" isn't always a virtue.

But brown and gold has the added benefit of being a very striking combination (the difference in hues creates a greater contrast, meaning the colors stand our more) as well as a very attractive one. In addition to being unique. That's what makes it such a great color scheme.

Plus, even though wearing colors that match your team name or city aren't any sort of requirement, I always liked that the Padres wore the brown of the Franciscan friars. Padres is a rather unique name in the universe of sports--and as a clergyman myself I especially like it--but their color scheme is as drab as generic (to them) as possible, without having a century or more of history to back it up. The Yankees' and Tigers' home threads consist of (darker) navy and white only, but nobody complains about them because they've earned the right to look the way they do, and they knock it out of the park uniform-wise. The "look classic like the Dodgers" deal was a real faux pas for the Padres, since I would think they would want their own niche in SoCal fandom, as the Dodgers are so well loved, have been around more than a decade longer in the area, and possess a much more successful history overall.

To have brown and sand--while it would further accentuate the friars image due to the beige cinctures friars wear aournd their waist--would be too drab, without a bright color to make things pop. Even the orange they wore with the brown in the late 80s and early 90s provided too little contrast, in my opinion. The gold worked well because it played so nicely off the brown. While the Padres went perhaps a bit too far in the way they tinkered with their unis from the mid 70s to the mid 80s, they were more a sign of the times than just ugly for ugly's sake or grasping for an identity. Several teams took nice color schemes and disco'ed them up (see Astros, Pirates, White Sox, just to name a few) during that era.

I would love to see the Padres return to the inaugural set that Gothamite trots out periodically. Beautiful, understated, uncluttered--to me perfect.

I believe that MLB teams that wear navy blue have won more World Series than with any other color. Yet, it just isn't working for the Padres.

If you factor the mild amounts of navy in the Red Sox and Cardinals, you pretty much have like 85% of World Series wins covered.

And the Yankees, you have pretty much 99 percent of the world series

And to say that "the Padres are brown & yellow, period" is just false. They've been wearing navy now longer than they wore any combination involving brown.

But not in a good or consistent way. The navy is more like trying on different shirts and then throwing them in the discard pile. They are constantly tinkering which shows they at least "get" that it's not working. No one look ever really takes. The brown and yellow were the original and most consistent look the Padres have ever had.

Original yes, but hardly the most consistent. They constantly tinkered with brown and yellow too. They changed their uniforms like 3 times in the 10 or so years that they wore that color scheme. All those things you said about the navy is true of the brown and yellow as well.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.org/dressed_to_the_nines/uniforms.asp?league=NL&city=San+Diego&lowYear=1969&highYear=1984&sort=year&increment=18

We've said it before; the Padres were one of those teams that got it right out of the starting gate, then almost immediately tarred ruining their look piece by piece.

At this point, their only real uniform tradition is a series of changes from one mediocre look to another.

Interesting how my memory tries to block out the scourge of the navy color being used. Guess it was more consistently used than the brown. Still the look from 1969 through 1977 I feel was the prime of their uniform existence and the Brown with Yellow has been the most common color combo in their history.

BROWN (21 years)

1969-1973 - Original, best

1974-1977 - New script but still nice

1978-1984 - Rounded letterform look (orange added in 1980)

1985-1990 - New script, pinstripes and no yellow

NAVY (23 years)

1991-2003 - Navy replaces brown

2004-2014 - New script and sand replaces orange

COLOR COMBO LONGEVITY

Brown/Yellow (15 Years... 5 with orange too)

Navy/Orange (12 Years)

Navy/Sand (10 Years)

Brown/Orange (5 Years)

http://caglaze.cts.com/

COLOR COMBO LONGEVITY

Brown/Yellow (15 Years... 5 with orange too)

Navy/Orange (12 Years)

Navy/Sand (10 Years)

Brown/Orange (5 Years)

http://caglaze.cts.com/

I grew up in the 80s so Brown/Orange seems right to me. The navy/orange was kind of a gradual change away from that, replacing the brown with another dark color. So the move to navy/sand was when they stopped looking like the Padres IMO.

All of my *official* sources so far are saying the primary logo for the Padres has NOT changed for 2014 -- still investigating, might need to just contact the team about this.

I would agree from what I've seen as well.

So they changed their primary again?! This is the third primary change in 3 years...can we say identity crisis?

Don't think so. they're still using the roundel with the Baseball club down at Petco Park. Not sure what the doofuses at EA sports are doing.

Again, if you did not grow up with the Padres in the 70s and 80s I can see how its difficult to understand the love for brown. As someone else mentioned, maybe it's just the names of the colors. Maybe today's fan needs some chic-y color names like Espresso and Pacific Sunset.

There are countless examples of sports logos and color schemes that I don't particularly like but that are loved by their fan bases. I don't try and convince them that what they love is bad. It's their reality, what they lived. There is a lot to be said for that.

Hate to break it to you, they never wore brown in any consistent way either.

Archived