Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

Oh, I definitely am. I've been known to spew profanity throughout the halls of my dormitory at every cheap hit, goal against, and loss. I'm just trying to keep my composure. I haven't been blessed with a good playoff hockey team like the fine folks of Chicago have, so winning isn't really expected of my team. I expected to see a classic CS85 meltdown after the Blues scored those two goals late in the second and then the Tarasenko goal in the third.

Winning is absolutely expected of the Blues this year. Yeah?

And in regards to meltdown posts I've made a point to stay off of my computer during games. It's not worth the indignity anymore.

Speaking of indignity, here's Derek Roy.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh let's face it; winning is expected of every single one of our favorite teams...except when they actually play the meaningful games. Then we expect our teams to fall into the cataclysmic abyss of misery, torture, suffering and despair we fear-of during the playoffs, while the opponents derp their way into another victory, somehow.

If our team wins, "yippee," "let's do coke," Brazzers, "let's light one up," "boner-boner-boner-climax!!!"

If our team loses, "I hate life," "I don't want to live in this world," "I'm so miserable," binge-ice cream, binge-Dirty Dancing."

So the series with the next possible division opponent has to go two more, as do two of the potential opponents in the third round series, with the same variable. Yes, it's all coming together nicely. You kids just keep on playing there. No need to end things in regulation now....

tumblr_m9359jBrbJ1rzhv5ho1_400.gif

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Oh, I definitely am. I've been known to spew profanity throughout the halls of my dormitory at every cheap hit, goal against, and loss. I'm just trying to keep my composure. I haven't been blessed with a good playoff hockey team like the fine folks of Chicago have, so winning isn't really expected of my team. I expected to see a classic CS85 meltdown after the Blues scored those two goals late in the second and then the Tarasenko goal in the third.

And in regards to meltdown posts I've made a point to stay off of my computer during games. It's not worth the indignity anymore.

Yes and no. Yes the predictions from everyone saying we're going to win were all good and nice but we show every year that we cannot get past our playoff woes. When I was a kid in 1999-2000, we were hailed as one of the best teams ever, we won the President's Trophy and were subsequently swept in the first round, correct? So it's not really expected of us to win. We're not some great franchise that has shown they can win consistently. We're a good team, yes. But until that championship is won, we're just another hockey team that's overshadowed by that damn baseball team that even I'll admit has an annoying fanbase (and I'm a St. Louisian, born and raised).

To be honest, I eagerly await your posts, they amuse me. It's funny seeing you go from ecstatic to devastated (or vice versa) at the drop of a hat. It's become a staple of these playoff threads and a big reason that I've been following this one so closely (not to mention that our teams are playing each other and the rivalry has never been bigger). I don't think any less of you when you make your posts. I see you as a passionate sports fan who really wants his team to win, I guess I can relate. And you're not a complete asshat :P You recognized that the Seabrook hit was unjustified and weren't butthurt about the ensuing penalty that came of it.

But, I digress. We'll see who picks up the two victories needed to advance.

YOU PROVEL-FETISHIZING PIG :censored: -ERS ARE DONE IN SIX.

(sorry, I've had a lot of Malört tonight)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

YOU PROVEL-FETISHIZING PIG :censored: -ERS ARE DONE IN SIX.

(sorry, I've had a lot of Malört tonight)

6ADLV4r.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The funny thing about the Ducks losing, is their HUGE weakness is showing through. They don't have goaltending. I don't care what anyone says, but when you have to rotate goalies, you don't have a starter. Even if they survive Dallas, it will kill them. They've become the Flyers or Caps of the west, teams that look good on paper, but will go nowhere in the playoffs because they don't have a guy who will grab and be that #1 goaltender. Their last legitimate #1 was Giguere. Of course the rest of the world is figuring out that Dallas is a damn good team. Truthfully, the way it looks right now, it doesn't matter, the Cup goes through San Jose. Of all the teams playing, they are rolling 4 lines and clicking in every facet of the game, and that's what Cup champions do. Of course there is the next round. There's just that feeling of a team that has one thing in mind and no one will stop them, and that to me looks like San Jose.

So you're telling me that you Japanese tentacle fetishists don't enjoy the delicacy that is St. Louis style pizza? For shame.

No one outside of St. Louis enjoys St. Louis Style pizza. Christ, even Andrew Zimmern turned up his nose at the stuff, and that guy never met an anus he wouldn't tongue. Once people escape the Metro and discover actual cheese, they realize how much they've been duped by Imo's all their lives.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

So seriously now, how long do the Penguins hold on to Fleury? He's like the John Tortorella of goalies... doesn't deserve the job now, but still clinging to those saves he made in the last minute against the Red Wings to win the Cup.

Here's his career GAA numbers:

He's not awful, but there'll probably be two or three guys as good or better this summer in free agency, and maybe they won't throw away playoff games like this.

Boudreau better not pull this scratch :censored: with Selanne again in Game 5 or people will call for his head. When NEEDED him and his leadership tonight.

No he didn't. Selanne's leadership is not nearly as important as his actual play, which has not been good.

Intentional injury? Bull :censored:. What about the goon squad the Ducks sent out with around 15 seconds to go? The intent was to take out Garbutt when the game was out of hand…goonish as it gets.

Goon squad? Who the hell is a goon? Patrick Maroon is on the :censored:ing first power play. That's not a goon.

I heard a lot of great stuff about Imo's, then tried it not knowing it was supposed to change my life. My buddies were like, "Wasn't that incredible?" I was caught off guard and thought they were talking about something else before they were like, "That provel was insane, dude."

I'm not advocating for Chicago deep-dish pizza (I can't eat pizza cake-style) but give me the 90% grease of Palermo's 95th over Imo's any day.

twitter

Fleury's gonna Fleury.

That is all.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

I like Imo's... and Domino's thin crust... and prefer thin crust in general... googling Provel now...

*begins slow walk of shame and banishment to St. Louis*

I'm not saying Imo's was TERRIBLE, it was just kinda a pizza place. I'd totally rather have Monicals if we're talking thin crust. Dominos does nothing for me.

twitter

I've been in enemy territory for 6 years now...I still don't get the provel thing. The only explanation I can give is "it's all they know."

But there are some solid pizza places that have emerged in the last several years. Pi, which offers a really excellent Chicago style pizza AND good mozzarella-based thin crust is perhaps the most well known. It's the place that Obama had come to the White House to make pizza for the fam. My favorite Chicago style, however, is from this little place in South City called Louie's. Carryout/delivery only, but it's pretty darn good. I mean, it's no Giordano's or Lou Malnati's, but it'll do. It's also like 3 minutes from my house, so perhaps its attainability is skewing my perception.

Archived