Rite of Spring '14: Can you fall asleep with a panic switch?

The_Admiral

Quad-City pizza... many don't know that exists.

Also CS... yes to Monical's.

On topic... I'm still thinking Blues.

And great recap, McCarthy. I find the CCSLC CBJ bandwagon odd but I can't think of a good reason not to be on it, or at least live vicariously through you and the other die-hards. Until the Final, anyway... and maybe even then, too. :)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

California pizza, brah. All about that barbecue chicken. (But for real, it's New York pizza. No contest.)

---

The Ducks realistically probably fall into that Maple Leaves camp that stat people were crowing about all season: an OK team that played above its heads and in reality isn't that good. I never thought the team, aside from Getz/Perry and the vets, was in "ready to win now" mode. Perhaps Murray agreed, going by his lack of making a big move at the trade deadline. The core depth players just aren't there yet.

I'd disagree with that. Saying they played above their head and all that stat stuff, people are always waiting for the other shoe to drop at some point during the season. And for the Ducks, that shoe never dropped. At some point, you are what you are, and I think the Ducks proved they are a very good team. Did they have their little slumps? Sure, but nothing ever as catastrophic as the stat people predicted or what the Maple Leafs did.

I think you could say that shoe dropped for the Ducks, perhaps around the time you proclaimed they wouldn't last long in the first round? ;) It may not have been a Leavian catastrophe but it doesn't have to be. They're better than the Leaves, so the regression wasn't going to be as dramatic.

Blues-Hawks series has been fantastic. I feel like the Blues should have won all four games. Hawks likely feel the same way.

Blues need to hold serve at home tomorrow. Mainly for all the obvious reasons. Also so people around here STFU about this series being so similar to 2013 vs. LA. (The results are. Many of the key players and the actual action is not.)

The adult in me is not enough of a pizza sommelier to say what kind is the best. I will say, however, that toppings probably have the greatest influence on the quality since they tend to be the most pronounced flavor when eating pizza, before acknowledging texture of the crust and quality of the sauce.

That said, the ten-year old in me had a clear-cut favorite:

049_2007_totinos3.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEI

As for non-pizza discussion, the cream usually comes to the top and that's why the Sharks/Avs/Hawks/Ducks will move on. Basing it more on sight of play, rather than Corsi and Fenwick since I'm not that hardcore of a sports nerd, those are the better squads and should make it, though it wouldn't surprise me if Dallas somehow got it done.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

You know, Totino's is such amazing crap. It's so plasticky and processed-tasting, but I love it. It reminds me of summers in my childhood. I haven't had one in years, but I'd still half-seriously list it among my favorite pizzas.

I am not a big fan of Chicago pizza. However, the wife likes it, so that's what we normally end up ordering. I don't dislike it, but I don't drool over it like everyone else around here seems to. I haven't been to New York or had a chance to try their pizza, but I would like to some day. I had never heard of STL pizza until today. Good or bad, I have to try this pizza now.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

New York style pizza is the best. Neapolitan is a close second. I've never had Chicago-style, but I want to try it.

This thread was my introduction to "St. Louis-style" pizza too, and after some quick research I can honestly say I'm not interested. That doesn't even seem like cheese. More like a cheese-esque substance made from the lesser parts of other cheeses.

I grew up on this pizza and have remained on it:

l.jpg

l.jpg

Case closed.*

*incoming attacks from NYC/Chicago pizza blowhards...

My elementary school had La Pizza Loca delivered every Tuesday. It was awful. I mean, it was at least edible insofar as it was still actual pizza, but it did not make me look forward to pizza days. Sorry, Mexicans.

l.jpg

l.jpg

Case closed.*

My elementary school had La Pizza Loca delivered every Tuesday. It was awful. I mean, it was at least edible insofar as it was still actual pizza, but it did not make me look forward to pizza days. Sorry, Mexicans.

Pfft. Like I cared if the food served at my elementary school tasted good. I just ate whatever the hell I saw and I enjoyed it. It adds to my nostalgia and mystery factor. I'm still alive today, aren't I?

Although the worst food served at my school that I can think about is a tie between the pieces of crap they call "lasagna" and "chalupa."

I love how a playoff hockey thread turns into a pizza-discussion tread. Because if sports, beer, and women can't lead men in a passionate discussion, pizza can!

That being said. Imo's isn't even the best pizza joint in St. Louis. Try Cecil Whittaker's and you'll never go back. I can hardly eat anything that isn't thin crust. Pizza is about sauce, cheese, and toppings. Not. Bread. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat a slice of pizza that's 90% bread.

l.jpg

l.jpg

Case closed.*

Pfft. Like I cared if the food served at my elementary school tasted good. I just ate whatever the hell I saw and I enjoyed it. It adds to my nostalgia and mystery factor. I'm still alive today, aren't I?

Although the worst food served at my school that I can think about is a tie between the pieces of crap they call "lasagna" and "chalupa."

Since the thread's already been derailed... that pizza's size does not look impressive. It looks like a longer, but narrower version of a sheet pizza that every single pizza place sells. Or that could just be a giant stove.

You know, Totino's is such amazing crap. It's so plasticky and processed-tasting, but I love it. It reminds me of summers in my childhood. I haven't had one in years, but I'd still half-seriously list it among my favorite pizzas.

I am not a big fan of Chicago pizza. However, the wife likes it, so that's what we normally end up ordering. I don't dislike it, but I don't drool over it like everyone else around here seems to. I haven't been to New York or had a chance to try their pizza, but I would like to some day. I had never heard of STL pizza until today. Good or bad, I have to try this pizza now.

I feel the same way but I like Mama Celeste

The most awesome video you will all year 65 years in the making

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Chicago's thin-crust offerings really get the short end of the stick. I never even had deep dish until I was 17, and was on a school outing. Deep-dish is only a once or twice a year pizza.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love how a playoff hockey thread turns into a pizza-discussion tread. Because if sports, beer, and women can't lead men in a passionate discussion, pizza can!

That being said. Imo's isn't even the best pizza joint in St. Louis. Try Cecil Whittaker's and you'll never go back. I can hardly eat anything that isn't thin crust. Pizza is about sauce, cheese, and toppings. Not. Bread. I don't understand why anyone would want to eat a slice of pizza that's 90% bread.

There are a handful of great St. Louis Style pizzas all with a slightly different taste. I love Imo's and it's the most successful (and thus well-known), but I really like most of these places. Cecil's is definitely a favorite. St. Louis Pizza & Wings is great. As is Elicia's. Those are the 4 that have a bunch of locations and a wide delivery range. (And have locations in city limits.) There are a lot of single joints and maybe some suburban chains that do it well also.

Provel is a fantastic cheese. People act like it's fake cheese just because it's processed, but all that really means is it's a mixture of multiple cheeses and other ingredients. It's amazing. I highly recommend trying it. And if you decide you don't like it, well you're just the worst.

The best kind of pizza is Chicago-style thin crust. I'm so tired of everyone dwelling on deep dish.

And what's with this turn of events that has you declaring the season a failure when down by a goal while Andy is being level-headed? Quick, post clever wordplay to prove you two haven't traded user accounts.

I've consumed too much hockey and short-circuited.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Also so people around here STFU about this series being so similar to 2013 vs. LA. (The results are. Many of the key players and the actual action is not.)

If I took my hockey analysis seriously I'd actually be offended by that insinuation that I'm just being lazy and comp'ing 2013 to 2014 because, hey, 2-2.

Besides, it's been months since I last "Hitchpuck'd" this joint and there's a reason for that.

Eh, whatever, I'm only pretending to give a scathing rebuttal to that comment because I don't know anything about the various forms of pizza that exist in this country.

spacer.png

There are a handful of great St. Louis Style pizzas all with a slightly different taste. I love Imo's and it's the most successful (and thus well-known), but I really like most of these places. Cecil's is definitely a favorite. St. Louis Pizza & Wings is great. As is Elicia's. Those are the 4 that have a bunch of locations and a wide delivery range. (And have locations in city limits.) There are a lot of single joints and maybe some suburban chains that do it well also.

Provel is a fantastic cheese. People act like it's fake cheese just because it's processed, but all that really means is it's a mixture of multiple cheeses and other ingredients. It's amazing. I highly recommend trying it. And if you decide you don't like it, well you're just the worst.

I agree with everything in this post. Elicia's used to be my favorite pizza place as it is a Friday night staple at my grandparent's house. I just remember going over there almost every Friday night to enjoy pizza and playing cards or Scrabble with my grandma. Those were simpler times...

watchmen9.jpg

Since the pizza talk seems okay... Skokie's La Rosa (also chicken parm) and d'agostinos thin crusts are also favorites. I like a deep dish now and then, but any thin crust is usually preferred.

Agreed that Blues-Hawks has been great. Could be over or any combo... 3-1 2-2 1-3.

Archived