NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

Unfortunately, one of the team's star players wants a change, so it'll probably happen.

I don't think so. Foster will be a 29 year-old running back next season, which is similar to a 40 year-old super model. He's still putting up good numbers, but he's not likely to be on the Texans, at least as a top guy, for more than a couple seasons longer. And that's not to say that the Texans won't change anything, just that they're not going to tailor anything to what Foster likes.

Very true.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, one of the team's star players wants a change, so it'll probably happen.

I don't think so. Foster will be a 29 year-old running back next season, which is similar to a 40 year-old super model. He's still putting up good numbers, but he's not likely to be on the Texans three years from now. And that's not to say that the Texans won't change anything, just that they're not going to tailor anything to what Foster likes.

They could change their jersey/pants combos though right? Using the jerseys/pants they already have?

I don't think so. Foster will be a 29 year-old running back next season, which is similar to a 40 year-old super model. He's still putting up good numbers, but he's not likely to be on the Texans three years from now. And that's not to say that the Texans won't change anything, just that they're not going to tailor anything to what Foster likes.

They could change their jersey/pants combos though right? Using the jerseys/pants they already have?

Sure they could, but so far the Texans haven't given in to Foster's desire to wear odd combos. If the Texans were going to give into any player's uniform requests, it would be JJ Watt since he's young, will presumably be around for another decade, and looks like one of the best defenders of all time. I'm just saying that I don't think Foster would have a huge amount of pull. Watt might, if he so desires new uniforms. Still, they'd be wise to completely ignore suggestions from players and keep the team in the best uniforms possible. And the best uniform possible is almost always combo at home and one combo on the road.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

^^

I like that, but since the logo is a nod to the Texas flag, I think the darker blue is needed.

Agreed, it looks great but the uniform is based on the flag, You can't just go around re-coloring flags, especially one as important as Texas. ;)

The logo isn't the Texas flag though, it's only vaguely based on the Texas flag. Recoloring the Texans logo Luv Ya Blue isn't the same as doing it to the actual Texas flag.

Also, as Admiral said, they've already taken liberties with the flag's colors as it is.

2752244354_a1c2b19c8f.jpg=Texas%20Flag-%20Conroe,%20Texas.jpg

I don't think there's anyway around this. They're called the Texans, and their logo and uniforms are based on the Texas flag. Light blue and red makes no sense.

When I used to play Madden, I'd sometimes put the Texans in red jerseys, white pants, and blue socks. Can someone 'shop that combo please?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Why don't the players just shut up and wear what they have to wear?

Because this isn't North Korea?

I think what Foster and MANY other players get bored with is having to wear the same, stodgy combos week-in and week-out. The Texans at least change it up a few times a year (the all whites get one game a year and the all blues get one game a year). But when teams like the Panthers go the ultra conservative (and boring) route and act like any change to their uniforms is committing a federal crime, then that's what gets frustrating.

The Texans should have worn red pants with the white jersey's a couple of times (especially when they played in Indy where they have never won) before they ditched them a few years ago. I don't think Red tops and blue pants (when coupled with a blue helmet) would look bad at all. Would be very similar to what Baltimore does with their purple/black combo and that works very well. For one game a year, Houston ought to do it. They only wear the red alt once a year anyway. They could wear it twice if they wanted to. They should go for it in 2015.

Disagree with Foster that Houston needs to change their threads though. Its the other team in Texas that needs new uniforms.

Aren't you out of season to be posting here?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think it's too late in the Texans history (and with that logo) to do such a helmet. It's a good idea, but I think it's too gimmicky for the NFL. It looks like it might look really good on a CFL or USFL team, or as one of three helmets for an NCAA team, but I don't think it's enough for an NFL team. Also, if they were to go with that design, it would have to be on a white helmet.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Aren't you out of season to be posting here?

I don't know that Dennis has a season. Like Batman, he waits, perched menacingly, for someone to decry crappy modern mix and match, and then he strikes. Wherever people like traditional uniforms, he'll be there. Wherever people say, "hey, that throwback looks good," he'll be there. I actually think he might be a bot. Someone created the Dennis profile with a logarithm that finds whenever anyone praises a uniform designed before 1995 or calls for eliminating alternates, offering a stock response. At least they deleted the "throwemback" line from the programming a year or so ago.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I am not a Nike mark at all but I do not want to see Adidas with the contract either with their horrific template.

I think Paul just does not have anything else to write about so he is talking about something that won't be news until at least next year at this time.

I am not a Nike mark at all but I do not want to see Adidas with the contract either with their horrific template.

I think Paul just does not have anything else to write about so he is talking about something that won't be news until at least next year at this time.

Agreed on every point you make. Just UW filler. I thought his point of Nike being outbid by Adi for ASU and Miami meaning anything for the NFL deal was silly.

As up and down as nikes short NFL tenure has been I still think it could be worse with Adidas (and UA for that matter with their weird templates and across the thigh stripe affinity). I do wonder why this was such a short deal when originally signed though.

The interesting point toward the bottom of the article was the rumor of the special alts. I've read this on UW before so it's interesting he keeps bringing it up. I'm honestly torn on the idea. While I think the league doesn't necessarily need to do things like this, and some traditionalist will use phrases like "they're above this, that's a college/cfl/arena league gimmick" I think it could actually be a good thing. If it's only for Thursday games then that means most teams only would wear it once a year. Also Thursday is typically a night where the teams that aren't usually on prime time get a chance to be. I think if it was a thing they really were dedicated to, then in the long run it could lead to better uniform designs for the normal Home/Away sets for teams. My reasoning is that if Tampa or Jax could've gone with something crazy like they use now, for just one game, but still keep their uniforms more traditional they would've at least considered it. And as intolerable as tampas set is if it was a Thursday night only alt then it'd be a little more acceptable. Just a thought. And obviously it's another revenue stream for the teams and league. What do you guys think about that? Would it have any effect in that manner?

While Paul is probably reaching on the idea that Nike could lose this contract, there are some legit points there...quality has been an issue. I did not know about the Cowboys' blue collars, but that along with the Eagles having to wear black, the sweat boxes, and the Jets mismatched greens are worthy of concern, in my opinion. I have no problem with him bringing that stuff up...tough his headline, which is what pulls someone in, is misleading.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

blue top.red pants

1346306.jpg

That helmet is awesome. The rest goes from meh (jersey) to bad (pants/socks combo)

I don't agree with the helmet, because it makes it look like the player is a bull themselves. The rest of the uniform looks good though.

So do you hate the Eagles, Vikings and Rams helmets?

blue top.red pants

1346306.jpg

That helmet is awesome. The rest goes from meh (jersey) to bad (pants/socks combo)

I don't agree with the helmet, because it makes it look like the player is a bull themselves. The rest of the uniform looks good though.

So do you hate the Eagles, Vikings and Rams helmets?

They are called the Texans, not the Bulls. The bull logo is just used as a symbol of the state.

While Paul is probably reaching on the idea that Nike could lose this contract, there are some legit points there...quality has been an issue. I did not know about the Cowboys' blue collars, but that along with the Eagles having to wear black, the sweat boxes, and the Jets mismatched greens are worthy of concern, in my opinion. I have no problem with him bringing that stuff up...tough his headline, which is what pulls someone in, is misleading.

This was a completely fabricated issue based on Lukas' own projection of his views and bias of nike.

In the grand scheme of things those on-field issues are not even noticable to the general public. Unlike when rbk took on the 10 year deal (logo swap only keep existing , nike made a very bold attempt to bring their proprietary uniforms into the league at once. While it's debatable I'd say the vast majority of teams improved their looks moving to elite 51. I know many hate the collars but overall the uniform aesthetics are much more uniform on field as compared to the mess that became of the >10 year old altered beyond recognition ripon unis and a few tech fit teams.

From the league's and nike's perspective their view is entirely different. Their #1 concern with the uniform contract is the $$$ value of the contract and the amount of apparel sales generated. If we're using real financial criteria that businesses use I guarantee that nike's performance from a merchandising standpoint has significantly outpaced the rbk era. If the league is ever going to drop nike as a partner it's because they're going to lose to a higher bidder (or they take their merch in house) because the nfl is money hungry first and foremost.

Lukas' qualitative reasoning for his thoughts on a change is beyond naive (focusing on aesthetic snafus that don't impact the bottom line) and he consistently shows his lack of business acumen when it comes to the economics of the sports apparel industry. Also he is insufferably tied to all things retro for retros sake in order hold himself above the fray of a consumer driven economy. He's like the bizarro Darren Rovell but just as annoying.

Archived