NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

. Teams and NFL Properties tend to know what they want to do and what will actually sell in 2014. Which is all its about anyway.

Unfortunately, that's true. But just because something is popular among the masses doesn't make it good, as evidenced by some of the fashion crazes, hairstyles, hit songs, hit movies, and yes, sports uniforms of recent decades. Today's "cool" is tomorrow's "tacky" in so many cases.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Indeed, momentary popular taste is frequently a terrible barometer of quality.

As in, the entirety of the 1970s.

My gosh, those of us who had to live through that Avocado, Rust and Metallic Gold nightmare of a decade knew that we'd be laughing at it in the future. Not a surprise.

. Teams and NFL Properties tend to know what they want to do and what will actually sell in 2014. Which is all its about anyway.

Unfortunately, that's true. But just because something is popular among the masses doesn't make it good, as evidenced by some of the fashion crazes, hairstyles, hit songs, hit movies, and yes, sports uniforms of recent decades. Today's "cool" is tomorrow's "tacky" in so many cases.

Absolutely. My alma mater Illinois underwent a Nike rebrand this year. Every part of the new identity ranges from mediocre to horrible, they didn't fix issues they set out to fix, they maintained the logo ambiguity by making a miniscule change to the block I that most manufacturers won't bother adjusting to, they retained elements of the previous era that literally nobody wanted (slanted wordmark), and basically went full-on Nike. Of course, some players, some students and message boarders largely loved the new crap, saying that anyone who didn't like it was totally old, and that it's what Illinois needed to do to bring in recruits.

It was revealed this week that for the homecoming game, they will wear gray uniforms. :censored:ing GRAY. And the uniforms don't feature a bit of orange, which they made the new primary color in this rebrand. And freaking morons love them! They think they're dope, and it makes us look "big time", and other teams' fans love them so you should too. In summation, "cool" is showing up to your most important game of the year, wearing a color which isn't even in your palette and completely removing your actual primary color. So we shouldn't brag about liking what's "cool" design-wise any more than we would bust out old Z Cavaricci jeans or Doc Martens.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Indeed, momentary popular taste is frequently a terrible barometer of quality.

As in, the entirety of the 1970s.

My gosh, those of us who had to live through that Avocado, Rust and Metallic Gold nightmare of a decade knew that we'd be laughing at it in the future. Not a surprise.

Or - ugh - the 80s. Big hair, shoulder pads and repression. >shudder<

Somebody on this site should know the answer to this question. If the Eagles Midnight Green jerseys were delayed due to lack of Midnight Green material, how were they able to put that color on the existing uniforms?

the color on the other uniforms was incorrect like the midnight green ones.

Somebody on this site should know the answer to this question. If the Eagles Midnight Green jerseys were delayed due to lack of Midnight Green material, how were they able to put that color on the existing uniforms?

Tackle Twill, thread colors and striping are different materials than the jersey fabric.

And the main part of the jersey itself has multiple materials (I believe). The Eagles may have disliked the color matching between those materials.

I think this happened to the Jets too. Multiple parts, multiple materials, multiple shades of green.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

And the main part of the jersey itself has multiple materials (I believe). The Eagles may have disliked the color matching between those materials.

I think this happened to the Jets too. Multiple parts, multiple materials, multiple shades of green.

ny_jets_tripanel_jv_576x324.jpg

hi-res-7691376_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=42

I thank you for posting the newest version of the New York Sack Exchange... :notworthy:

Very good point about the multiple greens...

I'm surprised they haven't added gray/tan to look like a desert cardinal.

7084-1.jpg

I put this together years ago along those same lines...the Arizona Pyrrhuloxias.

ArizonaPyrrhuloxias_PRM_9999.png

... and that looks beautiful!

Gray is such a trendy color, and the real life example is out there... I'd bet this is at least on Nike's radar.

Archived