NFL Changes 2014+

EJ_Barlik

I'm surprised they haven't added gray/tan to look like a desert cardinal.7084-1.jpg

I put this together years ago along those same lines...the Arizona Pyrrhuloxias.ArizonaPyrrhuloxias_PRM_9999.png
... and that looks beautiful!

Gray is such a trendy color, and the real life example is out there... I'd bet this is at least on Nike's radar.

I dig the colors and logo, but I would retain the Cardinals name.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised they haven't added gray/tan to look like a desert cardinal.

7084-1.jpg

I put this together years ago along those same lines...the Arizona Pyrrhuloxias.

ArizonaPyrrhuloxias_PRM_9999.png

Gray is such a trendy color, and the real life example is out there... I'd bet this is at least on Nike's radar.

I also mentioned this a while ago. I'm actually surprised they don't have a "Desert Cardinal" alt already. It's too perfect. It would even look better than most of what they have now.

I'm surprised they haven't added gray/tan to look like a desert cardinal.

I put this together years ago along those same lines...the Arizona Pyrrhuloxias.

I also mentioned this a while ago. I'm actually surprised they don't have a "Desert Cardinal" alt already. It's too perfect. It would even look better than most of what they have now.

Something like this? (quick mock up)

vq4mf5.jpg

Eagles team president is on the radio right now and the host just peppered him with a ton of uniform-related questions. Some notes (nothing really new) (my commentary in italics)-

-any use of kelly green would be throwback only. No plans at all to switch to kelly green. They discuss uniforms from time to time, but not switching the color.

-there's an 18-24 month process to introduce anything new (throwback or full set), plus (as we know) there's a rule about how long they need to keep the black as their alt (I think they dropped it for a year or two, so maybe the clock reset) so kelly green can't happen anytime soon. I thought you could have an alt in addition to a throwback, but this would contradict that.

-confirmed the one-helmet rule is currently making it a non-starter. The league isn't budging on that. League is serious about player safety and the integrity of the helmet.

-Eagles can't wear black again this season since they wore it once in preseason and once last week. I didn't think preseason counted, but apparently so. Also, there's rules regarding alts in prime-time, so you can only do the "big game" thing once (assuming big game coincides with prime time).

-There are a few "things they'd like to see happen" with the jerseys. Didn't elaborate when pressed for more.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

League is serious about player safety and the integrity of the helmet

Anyone care to take a stab at explaining what this phrase actually means?

I believe that is has something to do with breaking in the padding of the helmet... Of course, the way the padding is made now, breaking it in really isn't necessary... I'm pretty sure this is the NFL taking some fake measure to look like they care... Just like they do with everything involving "integrity."

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Well, I know this is an unpopular opinion on this board, but I think the NFL (while, yes, using the issue to cover their asses, obviously) also actually believes the risk of switching helmets (however small) just isn't worth it. People on this board have a less than mainstream view of the importance of things like throwbacks and alternates. To most of the people involved, losing the ability to wear a second helmet is no big deal what so ever. My guess is, if some expert came up with the opinion that outlawing secondary helmets decreased the risk of head injury by .01 the powers that be would say that's reason enough.

Well, I know this is an unpopular opinion on this board, but I think the NFL (while, yes, using the issue to cover their asses, obviously) also actually believes the risk of switching helmets (however small) just isn't worth it. People on this board have a less than mainstream view of the importance of things like throwbacks and alternates. To most of the people involved, losing the ability to wear a second helmet is no big deal what so ever. My guess is, if some expert came up with the opinion that outlawing secondary helmets decreased the risk of head injury by .01 the powers that be would say that's reason enough.

I wonder if they got the former commissioner's personal physician to write the league a Dr's note and called it a day at that point.. If there's an organization corporation that's been exposed for a complete lack of integrity and hollow gestures in how they conduct their not for profit business, it's the shield.

This is ridiculous. If there was even one legit report or suggestion from a physician that there was even a little risk involved in using a new helmet that hadn't been properly broken in, and some player got his brains scrambled while in an alt helmet and that report got out, even if the new helmet had nothing to do with it, the public, the media, and most of you would be giving Goodell and the league absolute hell about disregarding doctors just so they can wear a few throwbacks and make $$$.

If there's even a little validity to the suggestion, and if it's been made in writing (and could therefore come back to bite them), then they have to follow it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, I've been pretty hard on the NFL for its treatment of head injuries, but I think the "one helmet" rule is coming from the right place.

My question is why can't they use vinyl wraps and apply throwback stickers over that?

And don't most second helmets have their insides/ padding swapped to the new helmet

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Those are good questions. I'm going to give the league the benefit of the doubt here. They certainly don't like passing up money making opportunities (and they'll find ways to profit off of every last little tiny thing) so if they're forgoing the chance to market throwbacks and potentially lose sales then there must be a good reason. They don't leave money on the table.

Archived