2014 NFL Season Thread

I'll just say that I'd much rather overpay for a good quarterback, even if he's not "elite", than try to find one through the draft or free agency. I also think too many people in the media and fans out way too much stock in team results (especially in the playoffs) when judging the ability of a quarterback.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Glennon won't be seeing the field for the Bucs anytime soon, as Josh McCown was already named immediate starter. I expect something similar to a Rich Gannon situation, where a veteran backup with the physical and mental tools is finally given the pieces of the puzzle to make it work. It's Josh's team now, and I have good hope that he succeeds in his role. Bucs will probably look for a future QB in the next draft, as I don't see Mike Glennon being the future of this team. Then again, I could be wrong. Sitting under McCown would be the best way for Glennon to learn.

'Tis a shame. He can't fumble the ball anymore against the Cowboys...

On a serious note, it sucks to see any player retire this young, but at least he walks away with his health which is more than many players can say. Health is always more important than any game.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Gave that a whirl and this is what I got

BuOyzV7IQAAtQVg.png

Not sure if I agree with all the records it spit out, but for the most part I agree with the running orders

Wow, the NFC West really is bull :censored:

Repeat after me. Never draft an RB in the First Round.

The Bengals signed Andy Dalton to a six year 115 million dollar extension.

I really don't like this.

I never thought the day would come when I thought Sam Bradford might actually be underpaid.

Oh well, thank you for forcing Seattle and San Francisco to need to make "decisions" in the next few years.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

With the Cowboys I fully expect either a 7-9/8-8/9-7 type of season. I threw in 9-7 as being generously optimistic. Defense really worries me, I don't feel confident that they really improved at all. Now offensively I could see them doing somethings, unless they plan on lighting teams up with 40-50 points each game, I have my concerns going into this season. Now I don't want to channel crownking, but I have to think for Jason Garrett, it has to be playoffs or bust if he plans on keeping his job. I can't see him surviving the next off season going 7-9/8-8.

I too see us going 7-9/8-8/9-7. I don't think this is a make it or break year for Garrett. This defense lost it's best player in OTA's and lost a legend this off-season. Any coach would need time to make this defense good. Anything will be better than last year, we just have to... We can't possibly be worse, right?

This is season is the first one in a while where we don't have any high expectations. I think that'll be perfect for us. Offensively we'll be good, and if we manage to be average on defense, this season will be a success as far as I'm concerned.

DAL is a 6-win team at best, and it could get worse if Romo is injured in week 1 against SF. The best way for them to win is to milk the clock on offense, but last year DAL was:

24th in drives of 5:00 or longer

24th in 10 yard rushes

24th in rush yards per game

29th in drives of 10 plays or more

31st in rush attempts

And now you add Scott Linehan as the OC, who throws the ball even more than Garrett.

Defensively, I have no idea who their best three players are? Scandrick? Melton (coming off an ACL tear)? Carr? Spencer (off knee microfracture)?

Personally, San Diego is just one of those teams you cannot handicap; they sure are unpredictable. Luck does tend to shine on them at the most opportune times, however.....

As a life-long Charger fan who has watched this franchise invent new ways to blow games on a yearly basis, this couldn't be farther from the truth.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Using Kevin's widget link, the records may not be what I would've tabulated, but all six playoff teams I have tabbed from each conference are in agreement; the only disagreement is that I think Seattle wins the NFC West, but that's small beans.

records.png

I'm really bullish on Cincinnati. Don't go :censored: ing over your team in the playoffs again, Andy.

spacer.png

Well... Photos of Jerry "The Pimp" Jones with two very young women just surfaced... He looked intoxicated in both pictures... How 'bout them cowboys...

I keep telling Cowboys fans that if they think Jerry's crazy NOW, just wait a few years when he's in full fledged Al Davis mode. He's probably going to live 'til 100 out of spite and it's going to be glorious chaos up until that point.

GR30a5H.png

It is underestimated just how hard it is for an entire division to have teams finish .500 or better.

I also think it's way to easy to dismiss Cincinnati because they've had some really rough playoff games the past three seasons. That team is stacked in talent. I probably wouldn't have tabbed them to be the #1 overall seed if I was doing random Excel work, but they definitely would've been my division pick and 11+ wins as a lock.

spacer.png

The Bengals signed Andy Dalton to a six year 115 million dollar extension.

I really don't like this.

I never thought the day would come when I thought Sam Bradford might actually be underpaid.

Oh well, thank you for forcing Seattle and San Francisco to need to make "decisions" in the next few years.

well it's an NFL contract so almost none of it is guaranteed and it's hella incentive laden. Might as well say a billion dollars over the next 20 years*

*19 million guaranteed

The franchise, as they are wont to do, made sure to cover their asses. It's not as bad as it first appears.

PvO6ZWJ.png

With the Cowboys I fully expect either a 7-9/8-8/9-7 type of season. I threw in 9-7 as being generously optimistic. Defense really worries me, I don't feel confident that they really improved at all. Now offensively I could see them doing somethings, unless they plan on lighting teams up with 40-50 points each game, I have my concerns going into this season. Now I don't want to channel crownking, but I have to think for Jason Garrett, it has to be playoffs or bust if he plans on keeping his job. I can't see him surviving the next off season going 7-9/8-8.

I too see us going 7-9/8-8/9-7. I don't think this is a make it or break year for Garrett. This defense lost it's best player in OTA's and lost a legend this off-season. Any coach would need time to make this defense good. Anything will be better than last year, we just have to... We can't possibly be worse, right?

This is season is the first one in a while where we don't have any high expectations. I think that'll be perfect for us. Offensively we'll be good, and if we manage to be average on defense, this season will be a success as far as I'm concerned.

DAL is a 6-win team at best, and it could get worse if Romo is injured in week 1 against SF. The best way for them to win is to milk the clock on offense, but last year DAL was:

24th in drives of 5:00 or longer

24th in 10 yard rushes

24th in rush yards per game

29th in drives of 10 plays or more

31st in rush attempts

And now you add Scott Linehan as the OC, who throws the ball even more than Garrett.

Defensively, I have no idea who their best three players are? Scandrick? Melton (coming off an ACL tear)? Carr? Spencer (off knee microfracture)?

There isn't a chance Dallas wins only 6 games this year. Unless if we lose Romo. Then we're screwed.

And despite all of those useless stats you put out there, Dallas finished 5th in ppg. Like I said, offensively, we're fine. The only concern is on defense but after last year, the only way to go is up. We can't possibly be any worse. This is a 9-win team at best. I don't think we'll actually win 9 games, but 9 wins should be enough to win the division.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived