Toronto Raptors rebrand

MkDon

If you want a really liberal interpretation of "raptor"...

Sure. Naming your Canadian team after an American fighter jet fits right in with aping the US Constitution for team spirit.
And the Jets already did it
No, they didn't.

"No...no, they didn't...but you could imagine what it'd be like if they did, eh? EH?!"

G3Ba7J0.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 911
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if you are going to get a new primary, just promote the claw logo you already have.

Conspiracy theory--I wonder if they are getting away from the dinosaur imagery.

"Raptor" is also a term for a predatory bird. Any set of talons could be the marks on that logo, such as from an eagle, falcon,......or owl!

ovo-owl-150x150.jpg

The team has stated that the dinosaur will remain the mascot. Theory debunked.

Also, the more I think about it, the worse I'm imagining this black and gold alternate jersey will be. I'm picturing sleeves and "The Six" written across the chest.

I guess it's a good thing for the raptors marketing department that the grammar police have never (yet) killed an unarmed man.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If you want a really liberal interpretation of "raptor"...

Sure. Naming your Canadian team after an American fighter jet fits right in with aping the US Constitution for team spirit.
And the Jets already did it
No, they didn't.

Canada owns fighter jets, even if they were built by American companies. The US (last I heard, at least) won't give up the F-22... too advanced to share with those shifty-eyed Canadians.

I'm one of the most pedantic people on this board and even I think you guys are flipping out over a tagline and a comma too much.

THANK YOU!! I'm very disappointed after reading through this thread.

"We the North" is a play on "We the People", the preamble / first three words of the U.S. Constitution.

"We the People" has become a three word phrase that pretty much summarizes the entire constitution. Therefore "We the North" is, in essence, a three word phrase / preamble / battle cry that summarizes an entire imaginary document. The contents of that imaginary document would essentially be explaining how the North (Canada) is independent from the powerful South (U.S.), but the North will still fight for their right to be recognized as champions over the South.

The Constitution would've done well to use better grammar, but despite that, "We the People" is almost a slogan now. "We The North" is a play on a slogan, and therefore is grammatically correct. Only a few people in the basketball community seem to know this, so hopefully this post can enlighten the ones who don't know so that they can spread this info.

TL:DR, "We the North" is grammatically correct because it is a play on a slogan. Let's stop debating this forever.

No matter if it's grammatically correct or not, it's a poor slogan.

It's not grammatically correct, and I don't particularly care for it. "Northern uprising" conveyed the same idea without sounding so...poorly thought out (and I find people taking issue with "Northern Uprising" from a grammatical standpoint to really be splitting hairs).

That being said...is "We the North" a poor slogan? Despite my distaste for it, it's not. It's great, actually. It's catchy, and easy to remember/chant while drunk on overpriced beer. I may prefer "Northern Uprising" but it never stood a change against "We the North." I'm not happy about it being a great slogan, but that doesn't change the fact that it is one.

"Northern Uprising" ? not that cool, sounds like you want to start a civil war !

It works because it represents the Raptors rising up and forcing the US-centric NBA media to take notice. In that sense? It's sort of a one-team civil war against the rest of the NBA.

"Northern Uprising" ? not that cool, sounds like you want to start a civil war !

Northerners don't start civil wars. We finish them. :P

So in the context of the NBA does that mean we can expect to see the Raptors winning the Larry O'Brien trophy? ;)

I'm one of the most pedantic people on this board and even I think you guys are flipping out over a tagline and a comma too much.

"We The North" is to slogans what the Oregon Ducks are to football uniforms.

Something that people complain about that isn't that bad. Then again I don't care about college football or the Raptors (I know they are in the Knicks division but outside of Brooklyn & Boston I don't care about the Atlantic) so I don't have a dog in either fight.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

What happened? We were doing so well with Pelicans and then Hornets. The render of the claw into the ball looks sloppy to me. Just plain block type? I'm not against it, just seems arbitrary. Are the claws just merging with the lines of the ball? The ball-footprint logo was far ahead of its time. Sad it doesnt seem itll be around.

Anyway, FWIW, this was something I was working on, very prelim stages - a few weeks old. Was planning to go back and tweak, perhaps talk to the folks I know at the NBA and push this to the organization, but at this point it seems as if they chose what it is. I can't believe the Raptors fell for that if that is the new logo.

Raptors_Covercopy_zps4300609a.png

Raptors_Colorscopy_zpsce63cfb5.png

Raptors_Primarycopy_zps885c3c48.png

Raptors_Sec2_zps7048de3d.png

Raptors_Sec1copy_zpse6288703.png

No, if the ball was traveling away from the raptor I could see the scratches getting deeper (and wider) as it sunk its claws in.

Of course, it would have deflated the basketball, so the logo still makes very little sense.

I agree, the jagged scratched look just seems amatuer, especially with with only a primary and background color.

What happened? We were doing so well with Pelicans and then Hornets. The render of the claw into the ball looks sloppy to me. Just plain block type? I'm not against it, just seems arbitrary. Are the claws just merging with the lines of the ball? The ball-footprint logo was far ahead of its time. Sad it doesnt seem itll be around.

Anyway, FWIW, this was something I was working on, very prelim stages - a few weeks old. Was planning to go back and tweak, perhaps talk to the folks I know at the NBA and push this to the organization, but at this point it seems as if they chose what it is. I can't believe the Raptors fell for that if that is the new logo.

Raptors_Covercopy_zps4300609a.png

Raptors_Colorscopy_zpsce63cfb5.png

Raptors_Primarycopy_zps885c3c48.png

Raptors_Sec2_zps7048de3d.png

Raptors_Sec1copy_zpse6288703.png

Secondary 1 would be the perfect primary logo for them... well done.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived