NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

6 hours ago, the admiral said:

Doesn't the Japanese hatred of Koreans go back further? Having Korean blood makes you an untouchable. 

It goes back to 1910 when the Japanese ended the Joseon dynasty and annexed Korea as part of the Japanese Empire. The Japanese authorities were...aggressive...in trying to stamp out Korean culture and language. There was a racial component too, as the Korean imperial family was forcibly paired off with lesser Japanese nobles, so that there were no "pure" Korean heirs to the Joseon throne. The idea being to frustrate independence ambitions by denying Koreans a member of their ruling family to rally around.

• Like 3

I was half joking about this on twitter, but it's just crazy enough to maybe work. So we're going to have 31 teams on the draft floor for the foreseeable future. They used to have 5 rows of 6 tables, but now they'll have an odd number. I propose they still use 5 rows of 6, but the team who finishes with the worst record, regardless of what happens in the lottery, has to sit on the stage. We could call it the "Shame Pedestal" or something. You want to tank on purpose? Well then you're gonna have to sit in the corner with your dunce cap. Again, half serious idea here. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

The latest info in the sad saga that is Phoenix metro hockey. I particularly love this line:

"Everything you never really wanted to know about the Coyotes arena drama, but sometimes ask anyway. "

http://www.fiveforhowling.com/2017/5/11/15485614/nhl-arizona-coyotes-arena-issues-rumor-gila-river-arena

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, goalieboy82 said:

but knowing the NHL, Phoenix will get it first.  

I'm sure they're wetting themselves over the chance to have it in "Vegas", as well.

4 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I'm sure they're wetting themselves over the chance to have it in "Vegas", as well.

I'm honestly a little surprised they didn't have it in Vegas. Not that I think they should, but it seems like the NHL thing to do.

Regarding Buffalo, are they even trying to host the ASG? I haven't been looking closely, but I can't recall anything about them trying to get it.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

5 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I'm honestly a little surprised they didn't have it in Vegas. Not that I think they should, but it seems like the NHL thing to do.

Regarding Buffalo, are they even trying to host the ASG? I haven't been looking closely, but I can't recall anything about them trying to get it.

There's been talk on the news of the Sabres bidding for it, but nothing concrete.

The area around the arena has come a long way from the mid-90s, but it's going to be changing a lot more over the next 3-5 years or so. The Sabres might be waiting for the right time to strike.

I'm sure it's just a token waiting period for Vegas.

Speaking of the NHL and bad business, what will it take for hockey's AAA to enjoy the knd of stability AAA baseball does?

A decade ago, 16 of the markets, this coming season, weren't in the league. Hell, go back three seasons, and it's still a third of the league, to turnover.

1 hour ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Speaking of the NHL and bad business, what will it take for hockey's AAA to enjoy the knd of stability AAA baseball does?

A decade ago, 16 of the markets, this coming season, weren't in the league. Hell, go back three seasons, and it's still a third of the league, to turnover.

I feel like we're still at least a couple of years away from that happening, especially now with the trend of teams moving their AHL teams to be near their parent clubs (i.e. Western expansion, Belleville, Laval, etc.). There are still a few that have teams nowhere near where their parent club is, such as Utica. Though at the same time, the AHL markets have never really been very stable aside from a select few in the northeast (Hershey, Rochester, etc.). The turnover rate is always fairly high compared to some other leagues.

Sporting Venue Count (for games): OHL: 19 (28 Total)- 770 games (after 18-19),

MLB: 13 (15 Total), NHL: 4

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

I'd have thought the pinnacle of bad business decision All Star Games would be the Isles hosting at Barclay's.

At least the car for the MVP would already be in the building.

• Like 8

VmWIn6B.png

1 hour ago, LMU said:

At least the car for the MVP would already be in the building.

We all know that Honky the SUV is already the MVP... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Flames to Seattle or Seattle expansion? They'll probably be talk of the Flames to Portland too if Paul Allen can get them on the cheap but I just can't see them being more popular than the Blazers or Timbers. Oregon has more than enough sports it can support.