NHL 2017-18

Bmac

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/16/2017 at 5:36 PM, Morgo said:

Anniversary logo in embroidered form.  Is it just me or does that shoulder patch look plastic like on the Premier Replicas?

2Q1EEf5.jpglGgr3TH.jpg

On 7/16/2017 at 7:54 PM, Sodboy13 said:

That shoulder patch is definitely screened twill, sewn onto the jersey. Same treatment as the old Reebok replicas.

If that's what $200 gets you now, what kind of trash are those Fanatics jerseys gonna be at $130?

The shoulder patch is not screened twill. A few of them are embroidered just as they were (Blackhawks, Stars come to mind), but most are woven. Much more detail can be held in a woven patch, so you can maintain the look of your typefaces and logos at small scale. Just compare the “1992” in the anniversary patch to the text on the woven shoulder patch, or better yet, see if you can find a photo that shows the “Hockey Club” text in the shoulder patch.

23 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

So here's another thing I don't get about the supposed tiers of jerseys: We've got Fanatics Replica, Adidas Fauxthentic. and Adidas Actual Authentic Made In Canada. Now, the actual authentics are allegedly not going to be made for sale. So if that's the case, and if these new uniforms are all about speed and performance and weight reduction, why not just fully sublimate the dang things? There's your hockey sweater, lighter than ever, more comfortable than ever because it doesn't bunch up around several large sewn-on elements. If you don't have to worry about stuff like perceptions of value to the consumer because you aren't actually selling this outside of those who use it as a work uniform, why are you keeping the counterproductive doodads on it?

A fully sublimated jersey would would be challenging for different reasons. For one, every single panel would have to be printed, then cut very precisely so that stripes can match up across panels in each individual size. You would not realistically be able to sublimate the names and numbers because they couldn’t be sublimated on-site by an equipment manager or seamstress.

14 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Thats sort of what some soccer teams have done, to cut down on chafing.  But they keep embroidering the badges on all retail versions because the real things look too cheap.

My guess is that sublimating all the elements will mean they don't look quite the same as the "authentics" offered for sale.   And that everybody in the industry knows that the whole "lighter!" thing is total nonsense. 

It's not nonsense, but there’s an optimum balance of weight and durability. Going from a five pound uniform to a four pound uniform is significant, but it can also be done without sacrificing durability if designed well. Going down to a one or two pound uniform? Theoretically possible, but the negatives begin to outweigh the positives at a certain point along the way.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

A fully sublimated jersey would would be challenging for different reasons. For one, every single panel would have to be printed, then cut very precisely so that stripes can match up across panels in each individual size. You would not realistically be able to sublimate the names and numbers because they couldn’t be sublimated on-site by an equipment manager or seamstress.

Wouldn't it be simpler to cut two panels (i.e. a front and back) and sew them with the sublimated stripes matching than sewing different colors of fabric to construct stripes between multiple panels? I'm thinking more of traditional hem striping than, say, the Ducks' complicated side panel look. And as long as teams generally know what numbers are going to be worn by which players (or sizes), names could still be sewn-on without adding a ton of weight.

Sublimation can produce some really cool effects, but I do not like it for primary on-ice jerseys.

16 hours ago, dont care said:

The fact that it's the same as what their favorite players wear. There is a lot of value for that to customers. It's not what it's worth for the manufacturer to produce it.

Right, but the difference is the game jersey is cheap garbage, used to be the other way around. 

Strange times indeed. Hopefully US sports will not suffer the same fate, no one is going to buy aut. MLB jerseys then, neither NHL jerseys, if the authentics become available that is.

1 hour ago, Surf said:

Right, but the difference is the game jersey is cheap garbage, used to be the other way around. 

Strange times indeed. Hopefully US sports will not suffer the same fate, no one is going to buy aut. MLB jerseys then, neither NHL jerseys, if the authentics become available that is.

Player comfort and performance will almost always come first, and they are far from garbage, a lot of the crests look better screen printed or chromaflex crests look better because they get more fine details embroidery doesn't get 

22 hours ago, Chico said:

That Lightning 25th anniversary patch bears a striking resemblance to the Devils 25th anniversary patch.

7yn9s2l3hh3bhz4hegvv.gif

2Q1EEf5_d.jpg

So we can called Tampa Bay a rip off team? Colors are rip off of Maple Leafs, logo are rip off of Marvel Flash character, jerseys are rip off of Red Wings and anniversary patch are rip off of Devils.

4r2eer.png

42 minutes ago, wildwing64 said:

It's a pretty standard template for an anniversary patch. Nothing remarkable about that Devils one either.

Not many hockey teams actually use that template though.  Especially with that number font.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Not going to dissect the block-quoting because I'm in phone, but thank you for the detailed response on that, Andrew. So the new shoulder patches are (mostly) like the patches seen on replica soccer jerseys, then. For me, that represents a drop in quality, but that is totally a matter of personal preference based on what I've grown accustomed to.

Not sure I buy the argument against sublimation, though. We see it in plenty of Euro leagues, the late '90s certainly had a ton of it stateside, many minor league baseball teams have gone to sublimated jerseys, and Australian football has worn fully-sublimated performance fabric jerseys for years, albeit with much less material. And as for the pickle of a last-minute call-up? Vinyl numbers, heat press, bang, done.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 hours ago, pepis21 said:

So we can called Tampa Bay a rip off team? Colors are rip off of Maple Leafs, logo are rip off of Marvel Flash character, jerseys are rip off of Red Wings and anniversary patch are rip off of Devils.

DC.  Pick a character, but they're all DC.

3341826-flash_family_together_young_just  Shazam-by-Alex-Ross.jpg 385px-Tampa_Bay_Lightning_Logo_2011.svg.

26 minutes ago, Prince Harry said:

It's the NHL's version of the Nike Flywire debacle. In some instances its okay, but some teams (DALLAS) really botched it.

It's truly amazing that a group of people decided it looked good.

To me when the inner ring and back half are one color and the front half at the same as the jersey (like Tampa) it looks like a polo collar, or the time the European All Star team had collars like that. 

Still hate them. If those were closer to the Reebok collars, if not identical, I would have no issues with the new uniforms design wise. Even the shoulder mesh. 

1 hour ago, daniel75 said:

It's truly amazing that a group of people decided it looked good.

Maybe the NHL hires design groups who aren't hockey fans and don't care about uniform aesthetics.

Archived