kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Shadojoker said:

Anybody sees this??!! The jersey of the future!!!! The jersey that changes name and number!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2820955-nba-unveils-jersey-of-the-future-during-2019-nba-all-star-weekend

I am completely unphased watching a dimly lit jersey hanging on the wall change numbers. For all we know it was a tv screen.

42 minutes ago, Magic Dynasty said:

I agree - my only complaint with the way the Magic have been doing the throwbacks is there’s no corresponding court. I mean, look at my picture - they even “retro-ize” the scoreboard!

I agree. I'd be fine with a half-assed retroized court like the Warriors have done with their jerseys.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I am completely unphased watching a dimly lit jersey hanging on the wall change numbers. For all we know it was a tv screen.

This is exactly my reaction. It's like saying someone bought a color changing car, but really just posting photoshopped photos on instagram.

1 minute ago, the heat suck said:

People get way too uppity over ad patches. They don’t instantly make a uniform terrible.

Not aesthetically. Some of them actually do blend in pretty well. But it is a principle thing for many. Traditionally the only logo other than the team's is rhe manufacturer's, and most sports have been that way for a very long time. The jersey ads are probably the future, and they don't always look bad, but their very presence is kind of jarring to some of us, myself included. I don't particularly care for them.

9 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Not aesthetically. Some of them actually do blend in pretty well. But it is a principle thing for many. Traditionally the only logo other than the team's is rhe manufacturer's, and most sports have been that way for a very long time. The jersey ads are probably the future, and they don't always look bad, but their very presence is kind of jarring to some of us, myself included. I don't particularly care for them.

I should’ve probably also mentioned that it CAN make a uniform bad, but it doesn’t automatically do so.

image-2023-06-05-005249976.png

1 hour ago, the heat suck said:

I should’ve probably also mentioned that it CAN make a uniform bad, but it doesn’t automatically do so.

Ads on jerseys (not soccer/football) are bad!! Mkay.

mkay.jpg

No ad on a jersey has been cool for me to say..wow this ad makes me want to buy that jersey. But understand what you meant. Just putting my 2 cents into the jar.

shado_logo.gif

1 hour ago, Shadojoker said:

Ads on jerseys (not soccer/football) are bad!! Mkay.

mkay.jpg

No ad on a jersey has been cool for me to say..wow this ad makes me want to buy that jersey. But understand what you meant. Just putting my 2 cents into the jar.

No main sponsor makes a football jersey look better (IMO) but weird somehow. 

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/01/river-plate-19-20-home-kit.html?m=1

"The front of the shirt is free as River is currently without a main sponsor, whilst Axion Energy's logo is placed on both sleeves."

9 hours ago, the heat suck said:

People get way too uppity over ad patches. They don’t instantly make a uniform terrible.

I think most in this thread would agree that this statement is something of a hot take. When it comes to desecrating NBA uniforms, there's no such thing as "too uppity".

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How the hell does this work?

Years and years of textile science R&D that everyone loves to hate on. 🙂

Kidding aside, I think fabric as a tech and display medium is going to be a big part of the future. Imagine being able to fold your phone up like a lens cloth and stuff it into your pocket. Imagine a piece of fabric that unfolds and is a usable keyboard for your tablet. Imagine never having to worry about breaking your thousand dollar device. This particular application could be fantastic as a design tool (imagine being able to design the uniform directly on an athlete’s body), but I can’t tell if it’s actual fabric tech or just a good projection of some sort.

Another part of me is salivating at the potential for disaster when people start hacking their jerseys and putting the most obscene of things on them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

How the hell does this work?

Don’t forget about all the additional advertising opportunities available with this tech. Rotating jersey ads here we come! I can imagine full sections of jersey will be sold for specific time periods during the game. Player is at the free throw line, the entire front morphs into a Mcdonals logo, etc.  this is the nba after all!

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Years and years of textile science R&D that everyone loves to hate on. 🙂

Kidding aside, I think fabric as a tech and display medium is going to be a big part of the future. Imagine being able to fold your phone up like a lens cloth and stuff it into your pocket. Imagine a piece of fabric that unfolds and is a usable keyboard for your tablet. Imagine never having to worry about breaking your thousand dollar device. This particular application could be fantastic as a design tool (imagine being able to design the uniform directly on an athlete’s body), but I can’t tell if it’s actual fabric tech or just a good projection of some sort.

Another part of me is salivating at the potential for disaster when people start hacking their jerseys and putting the most obscene of things on them.

So basically.... you don't know.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Not surprised to see the players taking part in the skills challenge this evening are wearing their respective team’s city jersey: 

I imagine the dunk contest will follow suit. (Edit: They are)

(I know, I know... you feel they should wear their team’s association or icon uniform instead)

4 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

So basically.... you don't know.

You’re trusting a bunch of internet yahoos to supply credible scientific knowledge? 🙂

Well in that case, the most advanced type that *I’m* aware of is essentially a thin, flexible film. It has a special coating that, by passing electricity through the film, can illuminate like an LED. For this, you’d wirelessly connect your device to it as if it’s any other screen-mirroring tech (like AirPlay), and it would probably make sense to operate only through a dedicated app so that only images generated in the app (jersey numbers and names) can be displayed on the jersey.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

Not surprised to see the players taking part in the skills challenge this evening are wearing their respective team’s city jersey: 

I imagine the dunk contest will follow suit. (Edit: They are)

(I know, I know... you feel they should wear their team’s association or icon uniform instead)

I'm just glad the nba removed the team sponsors from the jerseys for tonight.

Archived