kimball

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Timberwolves rebrand was a downgrade from the previous identity right from the get go. Sure, the unis that preceded the update were dull without green, but these new ones aren't any better. The logo package that got replaced was gorgeous.

This new look tries to make up for the lack of green on the main unis with a predominantly neon green alternate, but instead that uni is absolutely hideous, and I'm surprised it has still lasted. The hated Dallas 'trashbag' unis have nothing on them in that sense.

The new colors could very well have worked, but the way everything was executed, it falls short.

I’m consulting the illustrations and I think the Wolves set is actually close to salvageable! Ideas:

1. The Minnesota wordmark looks great. The Wolves wordmark is just awkward and bloated when straight... but not bad at all on that gray city jersey from last year. So maybe arch that one and keep the Minnesota ones straight?

2. I’m partial to yoke stripes on basketball jerseys in theory but here, that thinner lower stripe is clutter.

3. Sneak some green outlines on that lettering.

those three things alone and you end up with something that looks not dissimilar to the earliest Wolves jerseys, but not dated at all, either.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

51 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Bucks wearing black at home, but have their normal court. Don’t they have an alternate court specifically to go with these uniforms?

I came to say the same thing. LockerVision has them with the Fear the Deer court too.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, CitizenTino said:

Bucks wearing black at home, but have their normal court. Don’t they have an alternate court specifically to go with these uniforms?

My prediction would be that because fiserv forum has a concert tommorrow and a bucks game again saturday on their normal court, it would be too much work for the arena to bring the black court out. Obviously that wouldn't make much sense since they have to take the court apart anyways, but thats just my theory.

On 2/20/2019 at 7:39 AM, Froob said:

Anybody else hate the T Wolves unis? I kinda liked them at first, but they’re so damn bland and I hate the stripe across the front.

The prince ones and the grey cities from last year are their only good jerseys they’ve had since the rebrand. They’re so bad. Removing the stripe off the front would help a lot (do this for the Wizards icon jerseys too).

I like them and they look super cool on rose. It’s just that they don’t fit the team. It’s too slick and “futuristic” for a team like the wolves who were always known for their... well it’s hard to describe their style of jerseys but they were distinctive. I’ve said this before but the Timberwolves jerseys would fit for a team like the wizards or nets. Especially the wizards who had a thing with stripes but tried minimalizing it to fit the modern style

and I don’t know why but something about the Timberwolves uniforms look “long”. Maybe it’s the design that gives off the illusion 

IMG-7122.gif

2 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

I like them and they look super cool on rose. It’s just that they don’t fit the team. It’s too slick and “futuristic” for a team like the wolves who were always known for their... well it’s hard to describe their style of jerseys but they were distinctive. I’ve said this before but the Timberwolves jerseys would fit for a team like the wizards or nets. Especially the wizards who had a thing with stripes but tried minimalizing it to fit the modern style

and I don’t know why but something about the Timberwolves uniforms look “long”. Maybe it’s the design that gives off the illusion 

Hot Rod Hundley always called them the pesky Timberwolves. I think their ‘96 look captured that.

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

41 minutes ago, pelicanfan said:

1126665277-850x560.jpeg&c=sc&w=590&h=389

these are the types of matchups I love seeing. Both teams wearing vibrant primary colors. While the home teams court and uniforms match perfectly and the away team is perfectly differentiated 

Or maybe it looks good because that's What it's supposed to look like. Lakers in yellow(goldish) at home vs the rockets in a colored uniform.

I agree with the overall sentiment, though. Tonight’s Jazz-Thunder matchup is gold vs light blue on a predominately light blue court. Looks much better than the traditional navy vs white. 

Jazz-Thunder makes for some fun matchups stretched over a seven-game series, too. Utah City vs OKC Statement might be my favorite matchup in the entire league. 

12 hours ago, pelicanfan said:

1126665277-850x560.jpeg&c=sc&w=590&h=389

these are the types of matchups I love seeing. Both teams wearing vibrant primary colors. While the home teams court and uniforms match perfectly and the away team is perfectly differentiated 

Cue up the 1986 video of Ralph Sampson’s game-winning shot against the Lakers in the WCF and you’ll see the exact same colors.  

I don’t need 75 different uniforms per team, NBA.  Perfectly happy with a home, road, and one alternate.

13 hours ago, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Or maybe it looks good because that's What it's supposed to look like. Lakers in yellow(goldish) at home vs the rockets in a colored uniform.

Well obviously yes. But given how nba uniforms are now (lakers literally wearing dark purple at home at times and away team is wearing white) it’s worth mentioning here 

IMG-7122.gif

That photo and color combo takes me back. 

Speaking of the rockets, they will have only worn white three times in a three month span at HOME. Teams seem to love their black set more than anything. During that same span, they will have worn white five times on the ROAD. 

Id love to see some other photo examples of just well executed jersey combos. The lakers seem to wear purple as often as yellow at home.  I’d love a numbers breakdown of locker vision 

On 2/22/2019 at 8:03 PM, 63Bulldogs63 said:

Any time Houston isn't in black it's a good thing.

Archived