1 hour ago, Pabig said:

Doesn't change the fact that Germany was the home team for this match and should have insisted on wearing black shorts.

The thing is? Germany and France could both have worn their traditional uniforms. W/Blk/W contrasts perfectly with Bl/W/R.

BUt I do agree with @Magic Dynasty, I think the all navy is here to stay

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PSG are debuting their Jordan Brand kits for the Champions League today vs. Liverpool. Can't say I'm a fan; beyond my not being wild about the precedent of a special kit for the UCL, dropping the usual colors for this gray tonal thing as a *first* choice doesn't sit right with me either. But one advantage is in the coaching gear, such that Tuchel gets kitted out in a sweet bomber jacket today which is a striking contrast from Klopp's usual "youth soccer dad with no chill" New Balance athleisure look.

psg-jordan

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

Here's a bit more info about the entire partnership. Interesting that Nike/Jordan is positioning PSG as the ultimate cool team in streetwear. I'd wager that they're one of the less watched of the big European leagues since relatively few care about the French league outside its borders, and I don't know how much Mbappemania will change that. On the other hand, maybe that makes PSG the perfect team to market to casuals and hypebeasts -- No need to worry about alienating anyone by taking sides in an English or Spanish derby. PSG can be for all.

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

Here's a bit more info about the entire partnership. Interesting that Nike/Jordan is positioning PSG as the ultimate cool team in streetwear. I'd wager that they're one of the less watched of the big European leagues since relatively few care about the French league outside its borders, and I don't know how much Mbappemania will change that. On the other hand, maybe that makes PSG the perfect team to market to casuals and hypebeasts -- No need to worry about alienating anyone by taking sides in an English or Spanish derby. PSG can be for all.

I think Neymar is why this happens. He's been wearing "Jordan branded" Mercurials and other clothing over the last few years. Mbappe being there as well just makes the links between a younger demographic and Jordan brand much more likely. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I think Neymar is why this happens. He's been wearing "Jordan branded" Mercurials and other clothing over the last few years. Mbappe being there as well just makes the links between a younger demographic and Jordan brand much more likely. 

Of course. I'm overthinking it. (But I do like my theory of PSG as blank page.)

3 minutes ago, Digby said:

Of course. I'm overthinking it. (But I do like my theory of PSG as blank page.)

I agree with you. Nike wants to use PSG in the same way it uses Michigan, North Carolina and other Jordan schools. By only linking up with the "cool kids in the room" they seek to set them apart from the rest of Ligue 1. Their only other team that I can think of is Monaco but other than Falcao no one else on that roster jumps out at non-soccer fans. And even Falcao would only ring a bell if you somewhat follow the Premier League. 

You still don't give the manufacturer pride of place on your own logo though. The only school that allows anything like this is Minnesota with the Fleckinization of their football uniforms. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, Scratcher said:

According to Marca, Barcelona next season will have a Croatia-style checkered shirt instead of stripes.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2018/09/18/5ba12efbe5fdeaaa3b8b45ae.html
Marca is completely wrong sometimes too, though.

I could see Nike doing this just to freshen up a look from time to time. They did wear hoops a few years back. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 minutes ago, Scratcher said:

According to Marca, Barcelona next season will have a Croatia-style checkered shirt instead of stripes.

http://www.marca.com/futbol/barcelona/2018/09/18/5ba12efbe5fdeaaa3b8b45ae.html
Marca is completely wrong sometimes too, though.

Sport broke the news on this earlier today:

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/revolucion-proxima-camiseta-del-barca-7041112

These two media outlets have been pretty reliable in the past in regards to Barça kit news, so there’s a pretty good chance it’s legit (the final product would likely have some subtle differences, though). The club often sets out checkered flags in the seats inside Camp Nou, so if this turns out to be true then that’ll likely be the Nike speak for why they went that route:

3251778.jpg?t=1450555156000

BkIJ8DeCMAAigPw?format=jpg

Camp-Nou-1040x572.jpg

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Apropos of nothing, this is my favorite USA typeface set and among my favorite of any soccer team ever. I'm sure it'll go away in favor of a new one next week, because modern football, but I'll enjoy it for now.

usa-mexico-nashville-600x315.jpg

rapinoe-morgan-uswnt-mexico.jpg

Hopefully it survives at least one more uniform cycle. It's clean, even with the inline separation. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

10 hours ago, Digby said:

Apropos of nothing, this is my favorite USA typeface set and among my favorite of any soccer team ever. I'm sure it'll go away in favor of a new one next week, because modern football, but I'll enjoy it for now.

usa-mexico-nashville-600x315.jpg

rapinoe-morgan-uswnt-mexico.jpg

It should survive til at least March 2020 since National team kits usually run on 2 year cycles and Nike kits usually launch in March, with the occasionally special kits introduced for specific tournaments (at least for "bigger" brand nations like the US). The away kit might get replaced with new "third" kit, since Nike has been doing that with the US in recent years.

42193738_2578330155514171_5580071895224542153351_2578330232180830_4570343835762142247230_2578330318847488_9051072002072242130558_2578330402180813_50005459493160

Had the awesome opportunity to once again design the kits for the newcastle jets this year, shortly before leaving the company and now 4 months later they have been released.

Super happy with how these turned out (especially compared to how disappointed I was with last years) although would have liked the contrast to be higher on the blue kit.

13 hours ago, KOREA said:

It should survive til at least March 2020 since National team kits usually run on 2 year cycles and Nike kits usually launch in March, with the occasionally special kits introduced for specific tournaments (at least for "bigger" brand nations like the US). The away kit might get replaced with new "third" kit, since Nike has been doing that with the US in recent years.

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. Pardon the incoming rant, but...

The previous cycle saw the US have *four* kits. Initial white with light blue sleeves, the black away, the red third that effectively replaced the black away, and the striped Gold Cup kit. The latter two of those were hardly even used on the pitch. I guess we should count our blessings that they didn't see fit to give the women a separate kit set anymore. But it's all just too much considering how little national teams play; two kits per two-year cycle is plenty!

And given all the turnover, I think typefaces could hypothetically be a nice area of consistency and branding through the years. It was nice when the US wore the same typeface from 2006 to 2013 or so, even with different styles applied based on Nike's gimmick of the year, it still stood out. But since then we had block numbers then thinner block numbers then those goofy puffy round numbers and now the current one. It's all too much! I know everyone's here to make money but these maneuvers seem more likely to confuse the marketplace than anything else. Ah well.

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah, that's what I'm figuring. Pardon the incoming rant, but...

The previous cycle saw the US have *four* kits. Initial white with light blue sleeves, the black away, the red third that effectively replaced the black away, and the striped Gold Cup kit. The latter two of those were hardly even used on the pitch. I guess we should count our blessings that they didn't see fit to give the women a separate kit set anymore. But it's all just too much considering how little national teams play; two kits per two-year cycle is plenty!

And given all the turnover, I think typefaces could hypothetically be a nice area of consistency and branding through the years. It was nice when the US wore the same typeface from 2006 to 2013 or so, even with different styles applied based on Nike's gimmick of the year, it still stood out. But since then we had block numbers then thinner block numbers then those goofy puffy round numbers and now the current one. It's all too much! I know everyone's here to make money but these maneuvers seem more likely to confuse the marketplace than anything else. Ah well.

Changing the crest didn't help either. It doesn't say soccer specifically and has been used by the more obscure Olympic sports as a stand-in for the simple US flag with initials underneath it that those teams usually get now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Changing the crest didn't help either. It doesn't say soccer specifically and has been used by the more obscure Olympic sports as a stand-in for the simple US flag with initials underneath it that those teams usually get now. 

Oh totally. Feels like the USSF rebrand turned into a "be careful what you wish for" sort of thing. The old one was as bad as everyone says, of course, but the new one's genericness, coupled with the traditional lack of a kit identity being cycled through more quickly than ever ... the program just kind of lost its way identity-wise, and that's before even talking about what's happened on the pitch!

Archived