ninersdd

Rite of Spring 2018-“What happens in the playoffs stays in the playoffs”

Recommended Posts

This game proves that the biggest factor of this series will be goaltending. Hellebuyck has been a beast, Rinne hasn't. I wouldn't say any of the goals he let in were particularly soft, but when the other guy is playing lights-out, you have to be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the bright side, if the Preds can get a 29 shot advantage in every other game, they'll probably win the series. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, that wasn't great. I'm not too worried. I fully expect this one to go seven games.

 

Aside from the goaltending, I liked a lot of what I saw from the Preds. They need to screen better. There was an abysmal lack of screening and Hellebuyck is just playing too well to rely on beating him flat-out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine if the 1999 franchise hadn't moved to Winnipeg and had remained a broom-closet subsidiary of the Atlanta Hawks. They wouldn't be this good, not without TNSE building a scouting department where there wasn't one and developing cost-controlled talent accordingly. The Golden Knights would be making an even bigger embarrassment of them than they already are.

 

EDIT: fun/sad fact, five wins is the deepest a Winnipeg Jets team has ever gone in the Stanley Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I shall declare that Winnipeg will end the threat of the Vegas Golden Bettman's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there’s karma in the works it’ll be Bettman’s greatest Sun Belt triumph being knocked off by Bettman’s greatest Sun Belt failure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rask is legendary against Tampa this season, so far he's thrown punches, a fit and a skateblade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shraks the only team not to break serve in the second round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boys in blue are :censored: ed. This was the matchup I didn't want in any way whatsoever. It's a matchup nightmare, and it's a psychological nightmare. The two advantages the Lightning had coming into this series was that they had a full week of rest while Boston had to drain themselves to beat Toronto, and the Lightning had the home ice advantage, so even if their terrible road history in Boston held true to form, they still had a way to win this series. And today, in addition to totally blowing both advantages they had, they renewed every fear that I had about this team in this matchup:

  • Vasi's dreadful 2nd half form
  • Atrocious penalty kill
  • Inability to keep Boston's top line even moderately in check

In order for me to feel good at all about their chances in this series, the Lightning needed to win today. And they gave me every reason to remember why I wanted Toronto so much instead in this round.

 

If this series goes more than five games I'll be surprised. The Bruins are the better team in every way that matters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

correction: they did not do it again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

The boys in blue are :censored: ed. This was the matchup I didn't want in any way whatsoever. It's a matchup nightmare, and it's a psychological nightmare. The two advantages the Lightning had coming into this series was that they had a full week of rest while Boston had to drain themselves to beat Toronto, and the Lightning had the home ice advantage, so even if their terrible road history in Boston held true to form, they still had a way to win this series. And today, in addition to totally blowing both advantages they had, they renewed every fear that I had about this team in this matchup:

  • Vasi's dreadful 2nd half form
  • Atrocious penalty kill
  • Inability to keep Boston's top line even moderately in check

In order for me to feel good at all about their chances in this series, the Lightning needed to win today. And they gave me every reason to remember why I wanted Toronto so much instead in this round.

 

If this series goes more than five games I'll be surprised. The Bruins are the better team in every way that matters.

 

Except for behind the bench.

 

Bruce Cassidy has a Marc Crawford-Bob Hartley Colorado vibe. Coaches a team so stacked even he couldn’t screw it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

 

Except for behind the bench.

 

Bruce Cassidy has a Marc Crawford-Bob Hartley Colorado vibe. Coaches a team so stacked even he couldn’t screw it up.

 

Claude Julien didn’t seem to have a problem sucking with ostensibly the same team last year before Cassidy turned them into a playoff team. I realize there are differences in the team from this year and last year, but saying Cassidy is just some terrible coach fumbling around and getting lucky is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear God, please let the trend continue and let the conference final be Winnipeg/San Jose. To lose two insufferable fanbases in the second round would be a blessing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

 

Except for behind the bench.

 

Bruce Cassidy has a Marc Crawford-Bob Hartley Colorado vibe. Coaches a team so stacked even he couldn’t screw it up.

I think that's more accurate for Gerard Gallant, than Bruce Cassidy. Not much has changed since he took over, yet they're playing like legit Cup Contenders. 

Both are nominated for the Jack Adams award, and while they'll almost certainly give it to Gallant (for making the playoffs with such a stacked team), I think Jared Bednar actually deserves it more than both of them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, Las Vegas has to cope for the first time with the agony that is losing an OT playoff game. With their lax laws one has to wonder if there was a even larger than normal spike in alcohol poisoning ER visits last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Capitals don't take advantage of Malkin being out, for a second game, this ends in a sweep.  Why do you choke-artists have to be the only remotely likeable team in the East...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Morgo said:

If the Capitals don't take advantage of Malkin being out, for a second game, this ends in a sweep.  Why do you choke-artists have to be the only remotely likeable team in the East...

Imagine rooting for them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now