2018-19 NHL Season

ninersdd

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don Cherry called them a "bunch of jerks" for their post-game celebrations. 

He had an aneurysm when Ovechkin pretended his stick was on fire and does his grouchy ahole grandpa bit any time anyone in this sport tries to show a modicum of personality, which is insane coming from the same goofball who wears those obnoxious suits. His response was so predictable and unsurprising, we all saw it coming from 100 kilometers away. I just don't know what took him so long. They've been doing it all season. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

2 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

Okay I’ve definitely missed something, anyone wanna fill me in? 

Don Cherry went full Abe Simpson.

51079082_778097095916667_853979211023055

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

47 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Don Cherry being an old, out of touch curmudgeon has made the Hurricanes more relevant than they’ve ever been since they won the Cup that one year hockey was awful. 

Brian Burke has ranted about them this year as well. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2018/11/23/nhl-analyst-ex-nhl-exec-brian-burke-rips-hurricanes-win-celebration/2091214002/

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

10 hours ago, LMU said:

Of course, the Hurricanes should be more concerned with being bottom-four in attendance than the rantings of Don Cherry but that's none of my business. ☕🐸

It's marketing. All of this is being used for marketing.

The clap and cellys get the fans involved, which makes them feel connected, which drives more people to the games. I've seen the games on TV and the amount of people in the stands has gotten larger per game, on average, every game. Plus, since it's new and all that, so it gets people mad, which gets more eyes on the team, which drives up TV views and gets more butts in the seats.

Not to mention the boosted comradery in the locker room. All of this is really smart by the Canes.

I just can't imagine caring. It has no impact on the games, it's fun at best, it's harmless when it's at its worst, and it's being done by a team that's either going to miss the playoffs or is doomed to get destroyed by Tampa in the first round.

It's like getting upset that a team took their moms on a road trip. It's on that level of thing that doesn't matter. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I’m so glad the Canes are doing this. I can’t stand Don Cherry. I vividly remember one time watching something on a Alex Ovechkin and Cherry coming on and saying that he used to be “immature” because he celebrated too much, but now he shows “respect for the game” because he just does a little fist pump after he scores (not word for word but you get the idea). Gimme a break. If Crosby or Toews did the same thing he’d call them “passionate.”

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Zeus89725 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Don Cherry isn't famous because people agree with him, he's famous because he wears crazy suits and is hockey's "crazy old grandpa"

Depends on the generation. My dad unironically loves him (he once suggested he try to run for Prime Minister...yes you heard that right) and thinks he's right about mostly everything.

People my generation and younger like him for the reasons you say. He's the crazy old guy who's entertaining at the very least.

I don’t mind end of game celebrations for the fans as long as it doesn’t get long winded and take more time to set up than execute. Like the Iceland hand clapping thing is fine, but if it takes more than like 30 seconds of setup, it’s probably too long.

Also how did the West wild card teams get so bad? Somehow the Hawks have resurrected themselves in a month and the freakin’ Blues discovered life is better post-Yeo. Unreal.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Getting mad at Ovechkin for celebrating in the heat of the moment is unfair, but, having no patience or tolerance for fake spontaneity, criticizing these pre-planned celebrations that the marketing department is fully in on is totally within reason. This is a sequel to All-Star Game Participant John Scott in that Reddit dorks have been so insufferable about the whole thing that the stodgy traditionalists ended up being right all along, but now with the added wrinkle that the team is actively using this to market merchandise to the Reddit dorks. If you would even so much as consider buying this t-shirt, you're such an easy mark that a carnival will come to your town just to personally exploit you, the idiot.

You know what, make the playoffs in a year that starts with "201" and maybe then the time is right to show everyone up with your wacky, Twitter-approved choreographed hijinks. This is like the Super Bowl Shuffle as performed by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

EDIT: testimony to the fact that Hurricanes fandom is just a bunch of posters is that this shirt is to be sold in their arena but is based on comments from a television program that does not air in the United States. This shirt is utterly without context to people who don't gavage themselves on Twitter. They'll still sell well.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

EDIT: testimony to the fact that Hurricanes fandom is just a bunch of posters is that this shirt is to be sold in their arena but is based on comments from a television program that does not air in the United States. This shirt is utterly without context to people who don't gavage themselves on Twitter. They'll still sell well.

Considering my local paper ran a gallery of everyone that ever said anything bad about Buffalo (going back to Mark Twain!), I'd think maybe the local news picked up Cherry's comments. Everybody's gotta fill time.

Ducks final 21 games under Carlyle: 2-15-4, 34 GF, 80 GA, -46

Ducks last 4 games under Murray: 3-1-0, 10 GF, 5 GA, +5

And thanks to the rest of the West, now 3 points out of the playoffs.

What a dumb season.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived