Unpopular Opinions

15 hours ago, Ark said:

The 2003 Marlins set isn't as good as the 1997 set but I still prefer it to the original set. 

Minnesota+Twins+v+Florida+Marlins+cGV8h7

61.josh-beckett.jpg

2736990.jpg

pitcher-armando-benitez-of-the-florida-m

That black road alt was gorgeous, especially the silver and teal script, but the rest of the set really needed more teal. At least the 1997 set had teal pinstripes.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

The Miami Heat looked their best in the mid-to-late 1990s, once they had added the red alt to their original white home and black road uniforms. All their sets since have been decent updates on the original uniforms - they've kept a visually consistent brand - but the originals plus the red alt, the successors to that set have not yet caught up to it. That Mourning-Hardaway red alt is easily in my top 10 NBA jerseys ever.

4crryrkot16wqeghtfoy_alonzo_mourning_tim

I think their current set is a bit better (not by a huge wide margin though, as I was a fan of the 90s set). My complaint is I wish they'd go back to the brighter red instead of the more crimson color.  

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

That black road alt was gorgeous, especially the silver and teal script, but the rest of the set really needed more teal. At least the 1997 set had teal pinstripes.

The black alt was the jersey that needed more teal. The silver letters on black jersey was just an odd look. You can barely see the teal outline. 

Image result for marlins world series 2003

This would've been a lot better:

Related imageImage result for florida marlins batting practice jersey

• Like 9

5 hours ago, daveindc said:

The black alt was the jersey that needed more teal. The silver letters on black jersey was just an odd look. You can barely see the teal outline. 

Image result for marlins world series 2003

This would've been a lot better:

Related imageImage result for florida marlins batting practice jersey

That's odd. Normally I'd be with you in calling for more teal, but I loved the silver script. Maybe a bit stronger of a teal accent would have been nice, but that script looked wonderful to me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I think their current set is a bit better (not by a huge wide margin though, as I was a fan of the 90s set). My complaint is I wish they'd go back to the brighter red instead of the more crimson color.  

Absolutely yes. Lack of bright red is their current set's biggest problem. I just wish there weren't so many other red-and-black teams. The Bulls should be red and black straight up, the Heat should be black and red with yellow and/or orange accents, the .Blazers should be black and red with just a hint of silver, and the Raptors should be purple and red, with any other color (black/silver/gold) limited to trim.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

That's odd. Normally I'd be with you in calling for more teal, but I loved the silver script. Maybe a bit stronger of a teal accent would have been nice, but that script looked wonderful to me.

Maybe adding more teal to it would help, but to me it just looked flat out incomplete or blank. 

14 minutes ago, daveindc said:

Maybe adding more teal to it would help, but to me it just looked flat out incomplete or blank. 

Maybe I loved it because metallic silver is pretty rare in baseball and I like shiny things. Lol

28 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Marlins are going to look similar to this soon, aren't they.

I would think so. The rebrand was a disaster and they owned teal in the MLB (I know the Dbacks also had it). Going back to the 2003 set with the black pinstripes on the home and the home alt (pictured above) seems like a rational choice. They better have a black AND teal hat though...

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Marlins are going to look similar to this soon, aren't they.

Hopefully not too similar. A Yankees South look would only work if they had a top-5 payroll. Plus I think Jeter has too much respect for the Yankees' look to not bring it to Florida.

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The Miami Heat looked their best in the mid-to-late 1990s, once they had added the red alt to their original white home and black road uniforms. All their sets since have been decent updates on the original uniforms - they've kept a visually consistent brand - but the originals plus the red alt, the successors to that set have not yet caught up to it. That Mourning-Hardaway red alt is easily in my top 10 NBA jerseys ever.

4crryrkot16wqeghtfoy_alonzo_mourning_tim

The problem with these jerseys is that the white drop shadows are the highest-contrast element on the jersey, and are the first item to catch your eye. So the dominant design element of the jersey is a weirdly-shaped white block, rather than the team name or the player number. These would have been more visually appealing if the white and black on the number were inverted.

• Like 5
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

44 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Hopefully not too similar. A Yankees South look would only work if they had a top-5 payroll. Plus I think Jeter has too much respect or the Yankees' look to not bring it to Florida.

This. Jeter is too intelligent to create a Yankees rip-off. Might the look be Yankees "inspired" in some ways? Sure but that doesn't mean take the Yankees template and just put Marlins logos in place of all the Yankee logos. Also, there's no guarantee teal even returns. It's probably leaning in that direction but there's always the chance they try something new and teal could also be a "once a week at home throwback" like the Brewers, DBacks, and Padres do. 

And as far the debate about the 93, 97, and 03 Marlins looks everything depends on your preferences for the balance between teal and black. All their looks have had strengths it just depends how much teal you like, how much black you like, and how much silver you like as an accent. As a Marlins fan I lean towards the 97 look which seemed to be more balanced but there's something magical about the "too much teal" days of 1993-94 as well. The 03-11 look was cool at the time but hasn't aged well because it's just too darn dark. As someone said you almost forget there was even any teal. The rebrand in 2012 reminded everyone how colorless the previous look was. The visuals of 2012 was liking looking at a color TV for the first time after years of black and white TV. 

Lastly those Heat jerseys are ruined by the enormous white block shadows on the numbers. Either invert the colors as the post above suggests or at least make the shadows the same as they are on the letters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

The problem with these jerseys is that the white drop shadows are the highest-contrast element on the jersey, and are the first item to catch your eye. So the dominant design element of the jersey is a weirdly-shaped white block, rather than the team name or the player number. These would have been more visually appealing if the white and black on the number were inverted.

That could also be seen as a quirk that makes them unique. I can see the issue though. But it wouldn't be hard to make a versiob that flips the black and white while leaving the rest of the design intact. At the very least, I wish they still used that bright shade of red.

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This. Jeter is too intelligent to create a Yankees rip-off. Might the look be Yankees "inspired" in some ways? Sure but that doesn't mean take the Yankees template and just put Marlins logos in place of all the Yankee logos. Also, there's no guarantee teal even returns. It's probably leaning in that direction but there's always the chance they try something new and teal could also be a "once a week at home throwback" like the Brewers, DBacks, and Padres do. 

And as far the debate about the 93, 97, and 03 Marlins looks everything depends on your preferences for the balance between teal and black. All their looks have had strengths it just depends how much teal you like, how much black you like, and how much silver you like as an accent. As a Marlins fan I lean towards the 97 look which seemed to be more balanced but there's something magical about the "too much teal" days of 1993-94 as well. The 03-11 look was cool at the time but hasn't aged well because it's just too darn dark. As someone said you almost forget there was even any teal. The rebrand in 2012 reminded everyone how colorless the previous look was. The visuals of 2012 was liking looking at a color TV for the first time after years of black and white TV. 

Lastly those Heat jerseys are ruined by the enormous white block shadows on the numbers. Either invert the colors as the post above suggests or at least make the shadows the same as they are on the letters.

If the Marlins bring in a once-weekly home throwback, I hope it has a teal cap. I know they didn't win squat wearing teal caps, but they looked awesome.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

If the Marlins bring in a once-weekly home throwback, I hope it has a teal cap. I know they didn't win squat wearing teal caps, but they looked awesome.

This below would be my preferred "scheduled throwback" if they did that. Even if they bring back teal in a rebrand I doubt they'd go with "too much" teal in their primary look so if they're gonna do a scheduled throwback then I think that's the time to go with the too much teal look. It would look great in Sunday home games with the roof open which is what it was for in 93-95. As a matter of fact in 1995 this look stuck around as the Sunday alternate as they had already gone to the black caps as the primary home cap every other day of the week. 

Related image

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

This below would be my preferred "scheduled throwback" if they did that. Even if they bring back teal in a rebrand I doubt they'd go with "too much" teal in their primary look so if they're gonna do a scheduled throwback then I think that's the time to go with the too much teal look. It would look great in Sunday home games with the roof open which is what it was for in 93-95. As a matter of fact in 1995 this look stuck around as the Sunday alternate as they had already gone to the black caps as the primary home cap every other day of the week. 

Related image

I think this would be great as a Sunday alternate. Sunday’s are usually day games, and this is bright and fun. 

• Like 2

Marlins can't legally go back to being the "Florida Marlins" due to their deal with the city of Miami so I'd think a return to the exact old logo would be a no go. Perhaps they'll go the route of something similar featuring an "M"

Anything is better than the current orange-centric rebrand

• Like 1