Conrad.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so to recap the "new identities":
Bsmq_wBIgAAhs6K.jpg

We've not yet seen:

- Warriors alt uni (i'm very afraid)

- Hawks Pride uni (hopefully something based on the Pacman unis from the '80s)
- Celtics Pride uni (?)
- Nets Pride uni (black and white version of Dr J. uni)
- Heat Pride uni (?)
- Suns Pride uni (a black uni?)

New Cavs court:

Blue OOB area, wine lanes. Wood-toned skyline on the bottom sideline. New(?) "C" logo with a blue dropshadow.

Sigh. Having a blue OOB without any blue in their actual jerseys is really dumb. The giant C logo is clownish (and the C is a terrible logo to begin with). The skyline is awful because 1) Cleveland doesn't have a distinctive skyline; and 2) it further clutters an already busy-as-hell court. Same with the "Cleveland" wordmark randomly slapped on the court. Worst of all, they refuse to give up the :censored:ing two-tone wood. It looks horrible, and it's a dated trend. Just let it go. The whitewashed parts look awful.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The skyline is awful because 1) Cleveland doesn't have a distinctive skyline; and 2) it further clutters an already busy-as-hell court. Same with the "Cleveland" wordmark randomly slapped on the court.

They need the wordmark so people will know that the non-distinct skyline is Cleveland. :)

Bsmq_wBIgAAhs6K.jpg

We've not yet seen:

- Celtics Pride uni (?)

- Heat Pride uni (?)

I was scrolling the boards for these last night!! Conrad must been a relative of Cleo the psychic. (Jk)
shado_logo.gif

Bsmq_wBIgAAhs6K.jpg

We've not yet seen:

- Celtics Pride uni (?)

- Heat Pride uni (?)

I do know that the Gray and Blue Nets' alt will be modified a bit for next season (mostly just putting the herringbone design into the side stripe); might be the reason for the inclusion there.

New Cavs court:

Blue OOB area, wine lanes. Wood-toned skyline on the bottom sideline. New(?) "C" logo with a blue dropshadow.

The skyline is awful because 1) Cleveland doesn't have a distinctive skyline.

Look, I don't want to start another "thing" on this, but people need to know that there's a difference between "distinct" and "unknown", the latter being what people seem to mean by this.

Truth is, nearly EVERY major city in America has a "distincive" skyline in some ways. And skylines become known and recognizable by EXPOSURE. If they want to show the Cleveland skyline, let em.

I really don't know why that's an issue. It's like complaining about people who'd rather have pineapple on their pizzas instead of pepperoni.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

^ Those are good points.

The other key takeaway is that it's done for the local fans. Who is going to see the Cleveland home court the most? Fans in Cleveland. All of whom would obviously recognize that skyline.

I don't think it's meant to tout the physical buildings to the rest of the NBA, but rather take hold of their city, and their local fanbase and build up a sense of pride for their town and their team. To me, it's the same as showing a flyover shot of the skyline during player intros, or something like that. It's about creating an atmosphere.

the problem is you need the rights to these buildings in skylines to be shown and if the team cannot gete those rights they end up making the skyline look generic which then makes it pointless. Plus the courts look horrible with all the sponsors/skylines...and what not now, it's gotten out of control.

the problem is you need the rights to these buildings in skylines to be shown and if the team cannot gete those rights they end up making the skyline look generic which then makes it pointless. Plus the courts look horrible with all the sponsors/skylines...and what not now, it's gotten out of control.

I don't think the Mets own any of the rights to the buildings used in their logo.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Bsmq_wBIgAAhs6K.jpg

We've not yet seen:

- Celtics Pride uni (?)

- Heat Pride uni (?)

I do know that the Gray and Blue Nets' alt will be modified a bit for next season (mostly just putting the herringbone design into the side stripe); might be the reason for the inclusion there.

Ah, okay. I hope you're wrong and we see a new uni, but you might be right as well.

Also, I forgot that the Suns already have a black Los Suns uni, so maybe they'll go with a different color for the Pride uni.

This would be tolerable if they removed the arched "Cleveland" and navy.

By377SDCIAEwHza.jpg

This looks a lot better than the graphic that was posted. The color of the wood stains look wayyy better here.
Looks great in real life!!! Cleveland wordmark makes sense so people outside Cleveland knows what skyline it is but they could have done that wordmark more subtle.

New Cavs court:

The skyline is awful because 1) Cleveland doesn't have a distinctive skyline.

Look, I don't want to start another "thing" on this, but people need to know that there's a difference between "distinct" and "unknown", the latter being what people seem to mean by this.

Truth is, nearly EVERY major city in America has a "distincive" skyline in some ways. And skylines become known and recognizable by EXPOSURE. If they want to show the Cleveland skyline, let em.

I really don't know why that's an issue. It's like complaining about people who'd rather have pineapple on their pizzas instead of pepperoni.

Excellent points man!! This may have opened up the floodgates though, I can see more teams incorporating their skylines or landmarks now.
shado_logo.gif

Aren't these buildings in the public line of sight and thus part of the public domain? Maybe an individual building's likeness cannot be used for commercial purposes but once it's in public and part of the general skyline (especially in aggregate or abstract) I don't think that same protection applies. Would be curious to see the legal basis as opposed to pure speculation on my part.

Archived