New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

I don't know that I have anything new to add, other than the BROWNS leg script is probably my favorite part of the set.

It feels faux-retro, like it's evoking a football design trend that should have existed but never did. What would put it over the top is if the jerseys were mesh like the 80s Eagles' set. The CLEVELAND up top bugs me, but the pants probably would have looked unbalanced without it.

They may not be everyone's favorite, but I think the Browns are due a little credit for shaking up their overall look while remaining unmistakeably the Cleveland Browns (and the uniform will damn sure remind you!).

EDIT: I keep in seeing Syracuse referenced here. Maybe the Orange of the 80s and 90s, but definitely not whatever this mess is supposed to be:

-b1af9aae32596e2d.jpg

I try to pretend these don't exist.

That kind of shenanigans should be for a school like UTEP, not Syracuse.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They may not be everyone's favorite, but I think the Browns are due a little credit for shaking up their overall look while remaining unmistakeably the Cleveland Browns (and the uniform will damn sure remind you!).

Everyone always complained about how "ugly" or "bland" their old uniforms were. I felt that the Browns were in a lose-lose situation. If they went modern the backlash would have been unbearable. If they went with subtle tweaks, they would have been ridiculed just like after the new logos were unveiled. In the end, they picked a good middle ground. They took aspects from the past and evolved them to make a decent uniform that mixed modern and traditional. They designed the uniforms for the fans and the players. Of those two groups, I'd say over 90% of them love the new uniforms. The Browns have a look that is unique and refreshing. They may not be perfect, but how many NFL uniforms are?

I don't think everything you said here was accurate. I did think the old uniforms were bland. The white on white combo was one of the worst in the NFL. It looked like a uniform from the 70s that had been continually washed over and over and over and the colors got faded.

Agree:

• The Browns were in a tough position.
  • The backlash from ultra modern uniforms would have been monumental.
  • They tried to combine traditional and modern (which usually never works).

Disagree:

• It was not a lose-lose situation, had they handled it correctly.
  • I think they took poor aspects from passed uniforms and perpetuated them instead of picking strong aspects and perpetuating those.
  • They took poor modern aspects and implemented those.

The biggest thing I disagree with is the bolded statement. The Browns actually did the opposite of what the fans wanted. The fans continually said we want modern logos, minor updates on the uniform. The Browns decided to have minor updates to the logo, with more modern uniforms. Had the Browns listened and updated the logos to everything that was rumored (Paul Brown, new bulldog) and then just switched the shoulder stripes to match the helmet stripes, it would have been a huge success on both fronts, by all accounts. Unfortunately, they pulled a Cleveland.

What the heck?

The way the colors used to look on the white uniform. It reminds me of when you go to the thrift store and see a sweatshirt or something from the 70s or 80s and the colors are dull and faded. That's what I saw when I looked at the white uniforms. The orange and brown just looked dull to me. No other way to say it. Dull.

youth xl came today.

11128641_10204081563027762_1993902318_n.

:therock:

Are you small, or am I tall? I'm about 5'11" and I wear adult medium sized clothing.

5'9" 163 lbs. I dropped 67 lbs last year. It's nice paying 30 less bucks for a jersey. I was wearing adult xl last year at this time. I wear small or xsmall now in regular clothes, tight fitting, to show off I guess, my wife likes it when i wear tight clothes.

youth xl came today.

11128641_10204081563027762_1993902318_n.

:therock:

Are you small, or am I tall? I'm about 5'11" and I wear adult medium sized clothing.

5'9" 163 lbs. I dropped 67 lbs last year. It's nice paying 30 less bucks for a jersey. I was wearing adult xl last year at this time. I wear small or xsmall now in regular clothes, tight fitting, to show off I guess, my wife likes it when i wear tight clothes.

Congrats on the weight loss. The sleeves probably do look better than they would for the adult sizes.

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

"Congrats on the weight loss. The sleeves probably do look better than they would for the adult sizes. "

thanks! and yeah you guys were talking about how you wish nike would make the sleeves shorts to look more like the on field jersey. Youth is the closest thing to that.

Congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome! I am about 5'9 or 5'10 and I weigh right around 165...I'll fit into a youth xl?

I am about 5'9 160 and I wear an Adult Medium. That being said they do fit me a little big so might try a small this year just to see if it fits better. That being said, I already find arm movement to be snug in the medium so not sure I would want it any smaller

Congrats on the weight loss! That's awesome! I am about 5'9 or 5'10 and I weigh right around 165...I'll fit into a youth xl?

I am about 5'9 160 and I wear an Adult Medium. That being said they do fit me a little big so might try a small this year just to see if it fits better. That being said, I already find arm movement to be snug in the medium so not sure I would want it any smaller

i wear a short sleeve or long sleeve under armor under a jersey. Other than my Rodgers jersey adult med. the others just hang on the wall in my nfl den. I only wear the jersey of another team if the Packers don't make the super bowl and my wife wears the team that I want to lose in the super bowl. It doesn't fit tight but I could see how most want loose fitting. I guess I'm just used to wearing stuff that clings to me now.

What exactly about monochrome is it that appeals to the 'dope swag' crowd, I don't get it.

I'm not sure it has anything to do with 'dope swag' as you put it. I don't think it has anything to do with a specific group of people that would use those terms, as you are implying.

However, I think that's the trend we are seeing now. Its just like anything else in society. There was an era where all uniforms were the helmet and pants always matched and the jersey were just 1-1 switch, between white and alternate color (Green Bay, Oakland, orange-pants-Cleveland, San Francisco, Dallas, New Orleans). Then there was a trend where a metallic color was being added to every uniform (Tampa Bay, Jacksonville, Carolina, St. Louis, Phila). Then there was a trend of weird shoulder stripes (Atlanta, Seattle, Minnesota, Cincinnati, Arizona). Now, the trend is to have more of a monochrome look. To have consistent striping throughout the uniform as opposed 2 sets of matching stripes (helmet/pants and shoulders/socks).

Monochrome is just something do out of the 17 weeks of the season really. Hell, it's why any team wears different jerseys in any sports. Look at MLB, theres like 453495834905 games in a season and so you gotta do something to mix it up to avoid potential monotony. Sure there's teams like the Yankees and Cowboys who just do the same thing day in and day out, but if you have a choice then you might aswell do something about it. At the end of the day it's about what goes in the Win/Loss column.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived