New Browns uni coming 2015

daveindc

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's weird that I don't hate the stitching, as it seems all the other grumpy traditionalists are down on it. To me, it's just too quiet to raise my hackles. It's like a small touch that you wouldn't really think about unless you in close proximity, so I'm not losing any sleep over it. Also, the oversized "Cleveland" wordmark doesn't wreck it for me. I think if you'd have described it to me without letting me see it, I would assume it would suck, but as a one-team-only design element, I'm OK with it.

The two deal breakers in my opinion are the orange numbers on the brown jersey, and of course, those horrific wordmarks on the pants. I wouldn't have thought the orange numbers would look as bad as they do, but immediately upon seeing them, it was obvious they weren't working. And the pants... just indefensible IMO. I know we all have our own opinions, and some are more drawn to modern designs, and yada yada yada... I get it. But there's just some things that seem so bad I can't imagine anyone liking it. The Jaguars' helmet fade, the Buccaneers' number font, and now "Browns down the leg". It's stunning to me that this decision was made.

Yeah, the only thing that really bothers me about this redesign is the wordmark on the pants. Terrible. Absolutely terrible. I don't really care for the orange numerals on the brown jersey nor do I like the "contrast" stitching, but neither ruin the set for me like the wordmark on the pants. I actually like the striping on the sleeves carrying on to the chest.

gYH2mW9.png

So about the stitching -

If they switch to a different template with different seam locations, would that count as a uniform change since the seams are now a distinct part of the design?

What if different players on the same team had different templates? Doesn't happen so much w Nike but used to all the time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think it's weird that I don't hate the stitching, as it seems all the other grumpy traditionalists are down on it. To me, it's just too quiet to raise my hackles. It's like a small touch that you wouldn't really think about unless you in close proximity, so I'm not losing any sleep over it. Also, the oversized "Cleveland" wordmark doesn't wreck it for me. I think if you'd have described it to me without letting me see it, I would assume it would suck, but as a one-team-only design element, I'm OK with it.

The two deal breakers in my opinion are the orange numbers on the brown jersey, and of course, those horrific wordmarks on the pants. I wouldn't have thought the orange numbers would look as bad as they do, but immediately upon seeing them, it was obvious they weren't working. And the pants... just indefensible IMO. I know we all have our own opinions, and some are more drawn to modern designs, and yada yada yada... I get it. But there's just some things that seem so bad I can't imagine anyone liking it. The Jaguars' helmet fade, the Buccaneers' number font, and now "Browns down the leg". It's stunning to me that this decision was made.

I'm not that down on any particular design choice (save the leg script). They're all pretty non-offensive on their own (save the leg script), but when you add it all together, when viewed as a whole, plus what they're giving up (tradition, history, prestige ("LOLZOMG WHAT HISTORY??! LOLZ SMDH")), I think they're a massive downgrade.

Yes, they could've been much worse, they could be wearing Bucs garbage, but that's not an endorsement.

On top of that, they're literally repeating a mistake the franchise has made before, almost element for element. It's impressive, really, how similar these are to the 1984 one year wonders.

PvO6ZWJ.png

That's pretty much where I'm at with these. I don't mind the stitching at all and I can live with the Cleveland word mark. It's not something I would have chosen, but it's not a deal breaker. The Orange numbers might have worked better if they went with a white outline instead of a drop shadow but yeah, as is, they look awful. There's simply no excuse for the pants. These uniforms could have been pretty great but the two main issues are so incredibly bad that they ruin all the good things about the set.

BB52Big.jpg

Same here, those two things are my only big issues with this. It's especially aggravating because it seems so simple, just keep the classic number color and full pant stripe. But no, apparently such common-sense thinking is beneath the "innovative, cutting-edge" minds of Nike and Browns management. And again, it's the pants that really drive me nuts. The number treatment I can live with, they've made it clear that they want Orange to be the de facto primary color. Fine, whatever. But the pants......I really can't express how stupid I think that idea is/was. Probably the single dumbest design element I've ever seen, with the Jags' helmet and the Celtics' inexplicable usage of Black in the Big 3-era set being the only things I can think of that come close to matching it. It single-handedly kills the entire look.

Tradition is the foundation of innovation, and not the enemy.

I don't know that I have anything new to add, other than the BROWNS leg script is probably my favorite part of the set.

It feels faux-retro, like it's evoking a football design trend that should have existed but never did. What would put it over the top is if the jerseys were mesh like the 80s Eagles' set. The CLEVELAND up top bugs me, but the pants probably would have looked unbalanced without it.

They may not be everyone's favorite, but I think the Browns are due a little credit for shaking up their overall look while remaining unmistakeably the Cleveland Browns (and the uniform will damn sure remind you!).

EDIT: I keep in seeing Syracuse referenced here. Maybe the Orange of the 80s and 90s, but definitely not whatever this mess is supposed to be:

-b1af9aae32596e2d.jpg

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

They may not be everyone's favorite, but I think the Browns are due a little credit for shaking up their overall look while remaining unmistakeably the Cleveland Browns (and the uniform will damn sure remind you!).

Everyone always complained about how "ugly" or "bland" their old uniforms were. I felt that the Browns were in a lose-lose situation. If they went modern the backlash would have been unbearable. If they went with subtle tweaks, they would have been ridiculed just like after the new logos were unveiled. In the end, they picked a good middle ground. They took aspects from the past and evolved them to make a decent uniform that mixed modern and traditional. They designed the uniforms for the fans and the players. Of those two groups, I'd say over 90% of them love the new uniforms. The Browns have a look that is unique and refreshing. They may not be perfect, but how many NFL uniforms are?

Everyone always complained about how "ugly" or "bland" their old uniforms were. I felt that the Browns were in a lose-lose situation. If they went modern the backlash would have been unbearable. If they went with subtle tweaks, they would have been ridiculed just like after the new logos were unveiled. In the end, they picked a good middle ground. They took aspects from the past and evolved them to make a decent uniform that mixed modern and traditional. They designed the uniforms for the fans and the players. Of those two groups, I'd say over 90% of them love the new uniforms. The Browns have a look that is unique and refreshing. They may not be perfect, but how many NFL uniforms are?

That is simply not true. The world isn't out to get Cleveland. There were plenty of positive posts about their now-former uniforms. I've made a few myself - including defending the gray facemask.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think everything you said here was accurate. I did think the old uniforms were bland. The white on white combo was one of the worst in the NFL. It looked like a uniform from the 70s that had been continually washed over and over and over and the colors got faded.

Agree:

• The Browns were in a tough position.
  • The backlash from ultra modern uniforms would have been monumental.
  • They tried to combine traditional and modern (which usually never works).

Disagree:

• It was not a lose-lose situation, had they handled it correctly.
  • I think they took poor aspects from passed uniforms and perpetuated them instead of picking strong aspects and perpetuating those.
  • They took poor modern aspects and implemented those.

The biggest thing I disagree with is the bolded statement. The Browns actually did the opposite of what the fans wanted. The fans continually said we want modern logos, minor updates on the uniform. The Browns decided to have minor updates to the logo, with more modern uniforms. Had the Browns listened and updated the logos to everything that was rumored (Paul Brown, new bulldog) and then just switched the shoulder stripes to match the helmet stripes, it would have been a huge success on both fronts, by all accounts. Unfortunately, they pulled a Cleveland.

[*]It was not a lose-lose situation, had they handled it correctly.

[*]I think they took poor aspects from passed uniforms and perpetuated them instead of picking strong aspects and perpetuating those.

I didn't know that Pete Carroll designed uniforms in his spare time.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

[*]I think they took poor aspects from passed uniforms and perpetuated them instead of picking strong aspects and perpetuating those.

Passed in the sense that... the time has passed since the last design. Not the design was in the past.

Passed in the sense that... the time has passed since the last design. Not the design was in the past.

Dude, the word you would use is still “past” in this case.

imagejpg1_zpsbdf53466.jpg
image.jpg1_zpswbnsopjp.jpg

The Bucs have the Best looking Nike uniforms IMO.

This made me laugh, and I'm a Buccaneer fan.

I've said it in the past , i'm not a fan of traditional stuff.
I love how someone here shares their honest opinion and then gets roasted because of it. To each their own. Some people are stuck with tradition and won't take to change and if they do it's kicking and screaming. Others welcome it and quite like it. To each their own.

*shield in hand*

On that note I love these new uniforms. Yeah they're a little quirky and gimmicky but they are unique and I love them!

The only the I don't like about the bucs unis is the alarm clock #s. If they got rid of the slashes or just got a different font it would be a close top 5 for me.

m0h76pO_zpslyciy1ir.png

I don't think everything you said here was accurate. I did think the old uniforms were bland. The white on white combo was one of the worst in the NFL. It looked like a uniform from the 70s that had been continually washed over and over and over and the colors got faded.

Agree:

• The Browns were in a tough position.
  • The backlash from ultra modern uniforms would have been monumental.
  • They tried to combine traditional and modern (which usually never works).

Disagree:

• It was not a lose-lose situation, had they handled it correctly.
  • I think they took poor aspects from passed uniforms and perpetuated them instead of picking strong aspects and perpetuating those.
  • They took poor modern aspects and implemented those.

The biggest thing I disagree with is the bolded statement. The Browns actually did the opposite of what the fans wanted. The fans continually said we want modern logos, minor updates on the uniform. The Browns decided to have minor updates to the logo, with more modern uniforms. Had the Browns listened and updated the logos to everything that was rumored (Paul Brown, new bulldog) and then just switched the shoulder stripes to match the helmet stripes, it would have been a huge success on both fronts, by all accounts. Unfortunately, they pulled a Cleveland.

What the heck?

I don't know that I have anything new to add, other than the BROWNS leg script is probably my favorite part of the set.

It feels faux-retro, like it's evoking a football design trend that should have existed but never did. What would put it over the top is if the jerseys were mesh like the 80s Eagles' set. The CLEVELAND up top bugs me, but the pants probably would have looked unbalanced without it.

EDIT: I keep in seeing Syracuse referenced here. Maybe the Orange of the 80s and 90s, but definitely not whatever this mess is supposed to be:

-b1af9aae32596e2d.jpg

I try to pretend these don't exist.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived