The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to Calgary and Winnipeg!

Flames/Canucks is our first confirmed playoff series, although home ice is still up for grabs

Winnipeg will be the lowest wildcard and face the higher ranked of St. Louis or Anaheim

Minnesota needs a win + Chicago loss in regulation to get C3; otherwise it'll be Nashville/Chicago while Minnesota gets the higher wildcard

Tampa Bay needs a win + Montreal loss in regulation to win the Atlantic; otherwise it'll be Montreal

Detroit is in and has a 1-point lead on Ottawa for A3. They cannot be caught by Boston

The Islanders are in and could be M2, M3 or a wildcard

Jets-Blues would be fun if we can get those wiseacres in Winnipeg to do a "hands up, don't shoot" chant.

185+ minutes of shutout hockey from Pababib, go f'ing figure.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Losing Willie Mitchell was hard to overcome. Slava going Varlamov on his wife was even worse. Sekera being knocked out for the final few games was just icing on the cake.

At the same time, as a Kings fan, I'm the first to admit that they got lucky with their cup wins. They put themselves behind the eight ball every year and this year it bit them in the ass. At least this gives Lombardi a to-do list for the offseason: find a hardnosed defender and one or two guys who can actually score in a God damn shootout.

VmWIn6B.png

And with that, literally half of the teams from last year's West playoffs will not make it this year (Colorado/Dallas/San Jose/Los Angeles).

Winnipeg/Calgary/Vancouver/Nashville in.

And we already have no Philly/Columbus in the East, with Boston/Ottawa thisclose to making it 7 teams out from last year.

Losing Willie Mitchell was hard to overcome. Slava going Varlamov on his wife was even worse. Sekera being knocked out for the final few games was just icing on the cake.

At the same time, as a Kings fan, I'm the first to admit that they got lucky with their cup wins. They put themselves behind the eight ball every year and this year it bit them in the ass. At least this gives Lombardi a to-do list for the offseason: find a hardnosed defender and one or two guys who can actually score in a God damn shootout.

Any good defenders in the upcoming draft?

Any chance the Jets can petition the league to wear white home and away? Maybe wear the '80s sweaters at home? Anything but those dreary head-to-toe midnight blue uniforms. Gotta have the whiteout.

EDIT: jets.nhl.com has been whited out.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any good defenders in the upcoming draft?

Hanifin is the #3 prospect on NHL Draft Central. But, if they can get out of Voynov's contract then I'd like to see them make a run at Martin or Franson.

Besides, if the BASS prediction of doom happens, they'll be getting that McDavid kid in the draft :P

VmWIn6B.png

I always prefer to see the defending champs at least make the playoffs for a title defense, but the Flames have been playing a playoff style all year and it will be interesting to see what they can do. If they can have one of their goalies separate themselves from the others as a true game-in, game-out option they could win a round or two.

Now that I've accepted reality that there won't be any springtime hockey in DTLA for the 1st time since 2009, let me applaud the Kings for giving everyone their brightest 5-year period in franchise history. Never in a million years would I have seen a Stanley Cup championship before a World Series title in my lifetime, let alone two in three years. Maybe being ousted now rather than in the playoffs will teach 'em a lesson, that these last 5 years were unsustainable in playing hockey very dangerously to the high wire. Maybe the emergence of the new Canucks, Flames and other teams will finally show these Kings that derping the regular season is no longer was never feasible to being a championship contender.

The difference came down to defense. Of course, the Voynov situation pulled the rug out of nowhere, while Willie Mitchell's pursuit of avoiding property taxes in Florida provided a second uppercut to the team's defensive woes. But overall, Calgary, Winnipeg and Vancouver wanted to win; the Kings expected themselves to win. That half-ass lolligagging was seen by perhaps the worst OT/SO record in the post-2005 NHL era, and (at long last for some people) it caught up to them. Onto recharging for 2016.

And it will be fun to watch playoff hockey without a dog in the fight this time. It'll be fun to watch other teams/fans be nervous this time of year for a change. Enjoy your 2-month Game of Thrones tournament, ladies and gentlemen; I'll be watching from a high chair relaxed and cool.

Now that I've accepted reality that there won't be any springtime hockey in DTLA for the 1st time since 2009, let me applaud the Kings for giving everyone their brightest 5-year period in franchise history. Never in a million years would I have seen a Stanley Cup championship before a World Series title in my lifetime, let alone two in three years. Maybe being ousted now rather than in the playoffs will teach 'em a lesson, that these last 5 years were unsustainable in playing hockey very dangerously to the high wire. Maybe the emergence of the new Canucks, Flames and other teams will finally show these Kings that derping the regular season is no longer was never feasible to being a championship contender.

The difference came down to defense. Of course, the Voynov situation pulled the rug out of nowhere, while Willie Mitchell's pursuit of avoiding property taxes in Florida provided a second uppercut to the team's defensive woes. But overall, Calgary, Winnipeg and Vancouver wanted to win; the Kings expected themselves to win. That half-ass lolligagging was seen by perhaps the worst OT/SO record in the post-2005 NHL era, and (at long last for some people) it caught up to them. Onto recharging for 2016.

And it will be fun to watch playoff hockey without a dog in the fight this time. It'll be fun to watch other teams/fans be nervous this time of year for a change. Enjoy your 2-month Game of Thrones tournament, ladies and gentlemen; I'll be watching from a high chair relaxed and cool.

I don't think you can underestimate the effect that going so deep in the playoffs the past three years has had either. Three short summers in a row adds a lot of wear and tear.

Archived