The 2014-2015 NHL Boondoggle

Sanic

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now, best of all really, all those that jumped on the bandwagon in the last three years, this is how being a hockey fan actually works. Hell, this is how being a Kings fan works. We'll see if they're really cut out for this. The smarminess and snarkiness doesn't play as well when you're not successful. Maybe they'll learn some humility, but I'm not holding my breath.

#GolfKingsGolf

You mean I might actually be able to find tickets next year without having to apply for a loan?

(For the record, Stubhub tickets for the top of the lower bowl for Saturday's game against the Sharkies were going for $250 a pop)

I hear ya. I always try to go to a Ducks/Kings game in LA each year, and this was the first year I hadn't in a while. Prices were ridiculous. And especially because the nosebleeds at Staples might truly give you a nosebleed.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I've fully accepted that I'll never in my life fill out a playoff bracket that doesn't include the Detroit Red Wings.

LA, San Jose, and one of Boston or Pittsburgh missing the playoffs is consolation enough though. I'll take that.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The circle jerking going on over two of the California teams being eliminated is one of the weirdest groupthink examples I've seen in a while. Makes me wonder if we'll see the same reaction when Chicago, New York or DC not make it in.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

The circle jerking going on over two of the California teams being eliminated is one of the weirdest groupthink examples I've seen in a while. Makes me wonder if we'll see the same reaction when Chicago, New York or DC not make it in.

Caps missed the playoffs last year

People like cautionary tales where arrogance goes unrewarded.

We don't need to ban fighting, it's going away on its own.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2015/04/09/colton-orr-remnant-of-nhls-enforcer-past-arthur.html

Most telling statistic in the article: there were 347 fights in the 48 game season two years ago. There's been 383 in the almost completed full season this year.

Teams are figuring out that having a guy who can't score, pass, skate, or keep possession take up a spot on the bench just so he can punch the guy on the other team who can't score, pass, skate, or keep possession is a detriment. Why not fill that spot on the roster with a guy who can actually play?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Yeah, I don't miss fighting. A rare blast of catharsis is fine, but as a regular part of the game, it serves no purpose today. Columbus leads the league with 43 fighting majors, which would have placed them 17th as recently as 2008, when the Flames finished the year with 70.

Speaking of the Beej, DAMMIT BEAT THE SABRES ALREADY.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why do the Sabres suck as badly as they do?

They don't have the incompetent front office of the Oilers nor the culture of losing ala the Leafs.

Hell, they've actually made the playoffs AND won a playoff series more recently than those teams

Because they got to the end of the road with the Vanek/Pominville/Miller core and had to start from scratch in order to be competitive again. Gotta go to the bottom to go to the top. With development from Ristolainen, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Zadorov (god, I love all these names), plus high-profile new additions, I think the Sabres will make a big leap. They'll look like the 2008 Blackhawks: ultimately short of the playoffs, but highly promising.

The real question is "why don't the Sabres suck more?", to which the answer is "Ted Nolan is playing Bogosian for like 32 minutes a night to eke out wins."

Because they got to the end of the road with the Vanek/Pominville/Miller core and had to start from scratch in order to be competitive again. Gotta go to the bottom to go to the top. With development from Ristolainen, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and Zadorov (god, I love all these names), plus high-profile new additions, I think the Sabres will make a big leap. They'll look like the 2008 Blackhawks: ultimately short of the playoffs, but highly promising.The real question is "why don't the Sabres suck more?", to which the answer is "Ted Nolan is playing Bogosian for like 32 minutes a night to eke out wins."

Arturs frickin' Irbe. That bastard.

I'm listening to the Penguins' radio feed of the Isles-Pens game. How long has Mike Lange sounded like he's at death's door? This is uncomfortable.

Beej scored, so the Sabres are six minutes away from clinching Jack Eichel at worst.

EDIT: Grabner from Bailey puts the Isles up 2 late; Pens' arena is an effing morgue right now.

Senators = 97/36 - @PHI (NOTE: Ottawa can still clinch A3 over Detroit (@CAR))
Penguins = 96/38 - @BUF
Bruins = 95/37 - @TB

Capitals/Islanders is our 2nd confirmed playoff matchup, with home ice still TBD

Boone Jenner, wider than a mile, scores the empty-netter and the Sabres clinch 30th! Congratulations, Buffalo fans! Best of luck from here.

Last year's Stanley Cup playoffs were exhilerating. This year, you can expect the same great matchups and unpredictability, yet good competitive balance, but with tons of feel-good teams in the mix (Islanders, Winnipeg, Calgary, Nashville, hopefully Ottawa). And being able to enjoy the playoffs sans the Kings (!) and hopefully the Bruins warrants a long sigh of relief.

It's gonna be a GREAT tournament; I can't wait to root incessantly not only for "my" Blackhawks, but for the aforementioned feel-good teams as well.

25yzwqg.png

With the possibility of some new teams in the playoffs, and there will be a new Stanley Cup Champion - it got me thinking of an interesting trivia question, possibly really easy answer, but it took me longer than expected to find the answer.

Excluding work stoppages, Who was the last NHL team to win the Stanley Cup after missing the playoffs the previous season?

We'll see how good my ten minutes of research was to find what I think is the answer :)

With the possibility of some new teams in the playoffs, and there will be a new Stanley Cup Champion - it got me thinking of an interesting trivia question, possibly really easy answer, but it took me longer than expected to find the answer.

Excluding work stoppages, Who was the last NHL team to win the Stanley Cup after missing the playoffs the previous season?

We'll see how good my ten minutes of research was to find what I think is the answer :)

That'd be the Carolina Hurricanes. 2006 was the only year (that I can recall) where both finalists failed to make the playoffs the year prior and after their playoff runs.

Other than those '06 Canes, you have to go all the way back to the '94 Rangers and '91 Penguins.

Before that.... the '71 Habs. In 1970, Montreal missed the playoffs for the only time between 1949 and 1994. Otherwise, they would have had 46 straight playoff appearances.

Some trivia: This'll be the 7th time the Flames and Canucks have met in the Playoffs; every meeting has been in the first round. The last 3 times they've met, 1989, 1994 and 2004, the series went a full seven games, required overtime in the decider, and the winner proceeded to go all the way to the Finals.

Archived