2015 MLB Season Thread with Postseason Discussion

Gary

Just wanted to add, for all the social media buzz about Blue Jays' playoff drought redemption stuff, many Jays fans seem to be oblivious to the Rangers 2x recent WS failures, as if Rangers fans were spoiled lols.

Also - as mentioned a few pages ago here, only the Cardinals were more recent WS champions of all 2015 playoff teams than the Jays.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball wins with this ALCS matchup. Toronto-Kansas City was by far the best combination that could've come from today. Houston-Texas would've been a disaster. This playoff system is still broken, but at least it didn't nuke the AL field immediately this year, so here's a "whew" for that.

With the NL guaranteed to be a good one as well, I'm looking forward to this year's pennant matchups far more than 2014's dueling disasters.

Why? "Baseball wins." Are you kidding me?

My viewpoint actually has nothing to do with a vendetta against Texas. If the roles were reversed - Houston and Texas were the 93 and 95 win teams and facing the sub-90 win Royals and Blue Jays, then the Texas teams winning yesterday would've been the better ALCS.

It has zero to do with any personal dislike for your team or the other team in the state. That's not the way I operate.

spacer.png

Baseball wins with this ALCS matchup. Toronto-Kansas City was by far the best combination that could've come from today. Houston-Texas would've been a disaster. This playoff system is still broken, but at least it didn't nuke the AL field immediately this year, so here's a "whew" for that.

With the NL guaranteed to be a good one as well, I'm looking forward to this year's pennant matchups far more than 2014's dueling disasters.

Why? "Baseball wins." Are you kidding me?

A lot of the country doesn't care much for Texas, whether it's sports or otherwise.

The lone exception is the San Antonio Spurs. But that's probably cause their guys are from Argentina and France.

This comment about the Spurs is pretty false. Most of the country wasn't in love with the Spurs' brand of boring (but fundamentally great) basketball and Euro flops. Trying to argue otherwise is revisionist history.

And I'm not really sure how many people loved the Spurs because they had a couple of foreigners. That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Quick disclaimer, I didn't actually get to see the game so I can't say whether the roughned run was legit or not. Sounds like a freak baseball thing but, again, I don't know.

Congrats, yay, we don't have to have the dreaded evil empire known as the...Rangers? Seriously? Everyone hates the state of Texas so much that we'd rather watch a pretty classless (purely imo) home run bat flip over and over? Didn't a guy get suspended last year for doing far less during a home run?

I can take losses, even stupid losses where 1-2 guys completely crapped the bed with three consecutive errors. I even understand the emotions going on for the Blue Jays (again, congrats). But show some class! Flip the tables, and every one of you would be complaining about those terrible Rangers and how much of an a-hole that Fielder/Beltre/Odor was.

Congrats on the win. You certainly earned it. I know it's meaningless but Go Cubbies (now) and may the Toronto team rot in Hades.

#playoffBaseball

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

So my thoughts regarding Blue Jays-Rangers game...

That Bautista home run has legend written all over it. That's the kind of home run you hear people talk about year after year from now. Under those circumstances, that was as clutch as it comes. And I don't mind the bat flip; I think if I were in that position given what had just happened half an inning before, I'd have done the same thing. The whole home run from start to finish was just awesome. Congrats to the Blue Jays, definitely a memorable comeback. I'm rooting for them to take the pennant, I'd love to see this team in the World Series.

On the flip side of things though, I (still) don't think any hate is warranted to the Rangers over this. Watching the play, Choo isn't intentionally trying to interfere at all, and Odor's just doing his job seeing what he thinks is a live ball and bolting home (in a late tie playoff game, no less). It's just a weird sequence of events that the umpires didn't handle well. Blame the umpires for screwing this up, not the Rangers. There was nothing the Rangers ever did yesterday that I thought earned them any villainy. Even when the dugouts cleared...I mean, tensions are high after an event like that with fans throwing stuff onto the field. I would've expected either team still being heated over it. And dugouts clear sometimes; Cubs-Pirates did a week ago. That's part of baseball.

That's just how I see it; a weird, crazy fluke event that's chalked up to the umpires and not either team. Strange and mind-blowingly odd? Definitely. Malicious or evil, though? Definitely not. Let's put some things in perspective here.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

All non-monsters should be pulling for the Cubs right now.

But once the Cubs win it all they better not turn into Red Sox fans!

I can't hear you. There are a lot of kittens in this bucket.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

My opinion on the dead ball play: Who cares? It ultimately didn't affect the game anyway.

My opinion on the errors: I feel awful for Elvis Andrus, I really do. But thanks!

My opinion on the bat flip: You probably would've done the same thing after all that happened in the inning.

My opinion on the Rangers before the series: Meh.

My opinion on them now: Still meh, but thanks for being a part of one of the best sports events I've ever seen.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

As a Jays fan I obviously loved the result of that roller coaster of a game! I don't get the bashing of the Rangers, they had a really good team with some scary players on it. I felt from the beginning it was the worst possible draw for the Jays and would be a close series. If I don't have to see Deshields on the bases again I will be happy...that guy is scary.

Hated the weird call in the the 7th...I get the rule and I get why the rule applied but the fact the umpire stepped out and called it dead gets me. At that point all the players on the field arent treating it as a fair ball and trying to make the play so just seems weird after that to count the run. Doesn't seem fair after he clearly called it dead even though he obviously blew the call!

In the end doesnt matter thanks to some bad fielding and a couple awesome at bats. Personally I loved the Bautista emotion after the hit. I question anyone that says they wouldn't react similar in an emotion charged situation like that!

NHA - Kelowna Kodiaks - .455 winning percentage
Season 4: 13-26-11 3rd Smythe
Season 5: 21-21-8 2nd Smythe
Season 6: 16-30-4 4th Smythe

Season 7: 26-17-7 1st Norris - lost in 1st round

Even though I was halfheartedly rooting for the Rangers (division rivalry), I'm kind of glad the Jays didn't go out on that freak play. Unless it's the Yankees, I always feel bad for a team that has to go home on a freak play like that.

Who I really feel bad for today is the Astros and specifically Carlos Correa. After being the laughingstock of the MLB for about 6 years, they take a 4 run lead into the last few innings of a potential clincher at home to go to the ALCS and end up squandering it because of their bullpen and because their hotshot rookie (who had driven in more than half of their runs) booted an easy double play ball. And that's why Kansas City is going on and not the Astros. Even if you're a KC fan, at least a part of you has got to feel bad for them.

I think there are two major takeaways from last night's games:

1. Not sure if anyone has brought it up yet (and I'd be surprised if no one has), but the Blue Jays' run to the ALCS is very reminiscent of our run to the same stage last year. We'll see if they have the same fate as us.

2. For the first time since 2005 (White Sox) I think an American League team not named the Red Sox or Yankees will win the WS, especially if the Dodgers lose tonight. I'll definitely be rooting for the Cubbies, but the fact of the matter is that the Blue Jays and the Royals are the two best teams left in the postseason right now, and I think whoever wins the ALCS will also take the Big One.

spacer.png

With the Rangers-Blue Jays game, one of the announcers said that the Rangers' defensive woes in the bottom of the 7th was 'death by 1000 paper cuts' and that's the best way to describe it. All of those errors are going to add up and then... something magical happened. That moment shall be forever known as the 'Bat Flip heard around the World'.

As for me: ANYONE. BUT. THE. CUBS. Seriously... :censored: the Cubbies. :censored: their fan base and :censored: that stupid ass Back to the Future II crap. If anything, I want to see the Cubs lose 100+ games for next decade to make up for this.

With regards to Dyson's comments about Bautista's bat flip, all I'll say is I rather win the game while disrespecting it, then lose the game while respecting it.

Dyson can get as hot about it as he wants. The only thing he can do about it is sit at home and watch as the Blue Jays play in the ALCS.

Losers don't get to tell winners how to act.

a bat flip is only classless if it happens against your team. Really - who cares about a bat flip? Of all the things to worry about, that's it.

Regarding hating the Rangers - yes I hate the state of Texas for many political reasons that we shouldn't discuss on this forum. Though I'll concede that I had a great time in Austin and met a lot of people there that I feel I share a lot of ideals with, but this team doesn't play in Austin.

More than that though, there's just nothing at all compelling about this team, or the franchise in general. They're just kind of there, and have been so uninteresting for their entire existence. They don't even have cool uniforms or a cool stadium to make me want to watch.

I also think that baseball, especially October baseball, should be played in urban areas where people don't need to drive their gas guzzling SUV out to a giant ranch/parking lot, and if you don't have a car you're shut out, so I root against those teams (as much as I root period, which isn't much).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As for me: ANYONE. BUT. THE. CUBS. Seriously... :censored: the Cubbies. :censored: their fan base and :censored: that stupid ass Back to the Future II crap. If anything, I want to see the Cubs lose 100+ games for next decade to make up for this.

Other than all the things I've probably unknowingly done to you, what have I ever done to you?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love the bat flip throw. It was appropriate for the emotion of that inning. The Blue Jays battle back to tie the game, go down on some weakness that would've really sucked if that was what determined the series, Blue Jays tie it thanks to some errors, and then Bautista breaks it wide open. Baseball needs more of that, frankly. Granted, I would've hated it if, let's say, Matt Holliday did it, but this is sports and we're allowed to be impartial and hold double standards. I also would've hated if it happened in game 94 of the regular season, but an elimination game in the playoffs is the perfect time for that kind of display.

It's nothing against the Texas Rangers or the state of Texas. It's that I've been watching this Blue Jays team every night for 2 months. They're a super fun team and I've become invested.

Pretty crazy that the Blue Jays have the most recent world championship of all the teams left.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I really wouldn't have cared had Texas won, especially since Cole Hamels was pitching, and I would want them to win over the Mets if it came to that, but all things being equal I'd rather fans in Toronto get this one.

My rooting order is now:

1. Cubs

2. Toronto

3. LA

4. KC

5. FU

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Bautista looked like a prick with that move, but then again I can be a homer too.

Everyone hates the state of Texas so much that we'd rather watch a pretty classless (purely imo) home run bat flip over and over?

Ok. This is a weird position to be in, because this sort of thing usually doesn't go my way when it comes to sports. I'll try to do my best here...

The bat flip was fine. Given everything that had led up to it? Given the way the Rangers were awarded a run on a play the umps didn't even allow the Jays to attempt to field? All of the emotion? It was perfectly fine. To echo my podcast collegaue infrared it was Bautista going " :censored: you and your bull :censored: run."

Yes, it happened against your team, and no I don't blame you for not liking it. That's fine. Let's just stop pretending it's about some higher ideal about "respecting the game." You're not Cardinals fans.

As for being "happy" that both Texan teams got knocked out? It's not political. It's not social. I try not to let that stuff cloud how I enjoy sports. I'm happy both Texan teams are out because I prefer the teams they were playing. I've been a Blue Jays fan longer then I've been a fan of any other team, so obviously I wasn't pulling for the Rangers. And the Astros? Sorry, I just really like this Royals team.

Finally....

Woohoo! Go Jays go!

More than that though, there's just nothing at all compelling about this team, or the franchise in general. They're just kind of there, and have been so uninteresting for their entire existence. They don't even have cool uniforms or a cool stadium to make me want to watch.

I also think that baseball, especially October baseball, should be played in urban areas where people don't need to drive their gas guzzling SUV out to a giant ranch/parking lot, and if you don't have a car you're shut out, so I root against those teams (as much as I root period, which isn't much).

Like I said, the Rangers are the McMansion subdivision of baseball.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love the bat flip throw. It was appropriate for the emotion of that inning. The Blue Jays battle back to tie the game, go down on some weakness that would've really sucked if that was what determined the series, Blue Jays tie it thanks to some errors, and then Bautista breaks it wide open. Baseball needs more of that, frankly. Granted, I would've hated it if, let's say, Matt Holliday did it, but this is sports and we're allowed to be impartial and hold double standards. I also would've hated if it happened in game 94 of the regular season, but an elimination game in the playoffs is the perfect time for that kind of display.

It's nothing against the Texas Rangers or the state of Texas. It's that I've been watching this Blue Jays team every night for 2 months. They're a super fun team and I've become invested.

Pretty crazy that the Blue Jays have the most recent world championship of all the teams left.

Exactly. I didn't see it as Bautista trying to "show up" Dyson, etc. The Jays had fallen behind courtesy of a run that, while completely legit, was entirely ridiculous. I saw the bat flip throw more as Bautista saying "They took the lead on that weird play? Well, here's my answer to that." I seriously doubt that Dyson had anything to do with the bat flip throw.

Funny how no one seems to mind when football players "show some emotion", but if a baseball player does it, it's a really big deal.

BB52Big.jpg

Other than all the things I've probably unknowingly done to you, what have I ever done to you?

You haven't done anything to me... What I want is for reality to come back and give the Cubs the bitch slap they deserve for attempting to screw the order of the universe.

Why am I acting this way?

1.) There are a few things that are certain... death, taxes and the Cubs not winning it all. Keep it that way.

2.) I'm a sore ass Mariners fan having to watch the postseason with no horse in the race once again. The last time Seattle made the playoffs, I was in high school! For once, I would love to see the M's win it all and not have to sit and suffer while everyone else gets to have some postseason action since 2001.

Archived