NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

This time, they swear it's Greg Jamison, not Garry Jamieson.

Whoever it is, I wonder if he'll be wearing the same hat and jersey they gave Matthew Hulsizer last year, when he was the designated playoff prop.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They've been just about to maybe sell the team at the end of the month for three goddamn years now. This is the most agonizingly protracted sports-business story ever. Would someone on either side please just have the courage to say it's over?

Where's the fun in that? What're we going to talk about next year? Actual hockey? Come on.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Here is a question what will the NHL do and Glendale do if the Coyotes go on a long run in the playoffs, and with the way Mike Smith is playing it is very possible.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The official YouTube channel of the city of Quebec (youtube.com/QuebecVille) has released the video below just now. Draw your own conclusions:

Edit: And now they just tweeted about it:

@QuebecVille (translated from French): Functional and technical program and presentation to the full committee on the amphitheater http://bit.ly/gyyMUq

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

I can't watch it at work. Cany anybody summarize it?

It's a sim rendering of a new Quebec arena, descriptively called "the multifunctional amphitheater of Quebec -- from dreams to reality!" It shows the key features of the place, like a 360 degree concourse, bars and restaurants and "all the services" in a "Zone Club," neat-o VIP seats right next to the benches, a glass wall so you can watch the players come in and out of the locker room, and an outdoor patio.

Looks really cool, but I didn't see a call to action or timeline. Also, my French isn't very good, so who knows?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I can't watch it at work. Cany anybody summarize it?

It's a sim rendering of a new Quebec arena, descriptively called "the multifunctional amphitheater of Quebec -- from dreams to reality!" It shows the key features of the place, like a 360 degree concourse, bars and restaurants and "all the services" in a "Zone Club," neat-o VIP seats right next to the benches, a glass wall so you can watch the players come in and out of the locker room, and an outdoor patio.

Looks really cool, but I didn't see a call to action or timeline. Also, my French isn't very good, so who knows?

That's pretty much what was in the video. No need to be good in French to understand it :)

As far as timeline goes, it is set to break ground late this summer, and to be ready three years after, late summer in 2015.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic, and will make most if not all of the indoor arenas built in the past 20 years obsolete in due time.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic, and will make most if not all of the indoor arenas built in the past 20 years obsolete in due time.

Holy crap that sounds sweet. I have been CitBank Park (people call it that, right?), but that sounds amazing.

spacer.png

:censored: the haters.

Mike Smith was a godsend. He may have saved the team. Can you really move them, after all this success? I know this forum is largely Canadian, and this thread is largely anti-Coyotes, and most of y'all would love to see a team in Quebec City. Well, I just wanted to chime in my small 2 cents, which is, basically, :censored: em. I'm a passionate fan. It's been absolutely agonizing to go through every day of this season, wondering if this is the last game I'll see of this team. Especially after I lost the Thrashers last year. The Coyotes have been proving everyone wrong for a while now, call it good, structured coaching, call it luck, call it "wizard"ry, dark magic. Call it Gary Bettman being a :censored:. I don't care, because Bettman is a huge :censored:, and I hate him, and he probably doesn't have the balls to move the Coyotes at this point. Can you really move them now? After a division championship against all odds? After 3 straight playoff appearances, against all odds?

I don't think it's gonna happen. Either, someone steps up and buys this team over the offseason (Jamison? Treliving? Someone?), or Glendale forks over another 5 million. They already have 20 million in their budget to keep operating the team. The NHL will be asking for another 25 mil. Call me crazy, but after this success, people are gonna finally start showing up to the games next season. (yes, yes, I know, why didn't they show up this season? if you ask me, it's because people thought it was a given that the team would suck ass this year, and move. it didn't quite play out like that). Attendance was good to end the year. Jobing.com arena will be rocking for the playoffs. Another little 5 million isn't bad in the grand scheme of things, if the fine citizens of Arizona start going to the games.

I'm talking out my ass at this point, my view of this situation is incredibly biased and probably far too optimistic. I don't care. All I really want at this point is a playoff series win, it's been far too long. And I want to know that my favorite sports team isn't going anywhere. Because goddammit, it's gonna hurt if they move, it's gonna hurt a lot. At least, I can take small solace in the fact that the Coyotes being a successful team in the past 3 years pisses off Canadian, pro-team-in-Quebec-City people so much. Just look at the quote that is the title of this thread. It's the biggest anomaly in pro sports. It's a paradox. So, long live hockey in the desert.

And :censored: it, GO COYOTES.

Mike Smith was a godsend. He may have saved the team. Can you really move them, after all this success?

Yes. It is simply a financial decision. The other 29 NHL owners do not want the league owning the team, Glendale can't afford to foot the bill and a buyer that wants to keep them in Glendale has not emerged yet.

Success or not, that is a recipe for relocation.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Mike Smith was a godsend. He may have saved the team. Can you really move them, after all this success?

Yes. It is simply a financial decision. The other 29 NHL owners do not want the league owning the team, Glendale can't afford to foot the bill and a buyer that wants to keep them in Glendale has not emerged yet.

Success or not, that is a recipe for relocation.

Charger's right. Winning guarantees nothing in sports business. The North Stars weren't that far removed from an improbably Stanley Cup Finals run when they were shipped off to Dallas.

Holy crap that sounds sweet. I have been CitBank Park (people call it that, right?), but that sounds amazing.

No.

Mike Smith was a godsend. He may have saved the team. Can you really move them, after all this success? I know this forum is largely Canadian, and this thread is largely anti-Coyotes, and most of y'all would love to see a team in Quebec City. Well, I just wanted to chime in my small 2 cents, which is, basically, :censored: em. I'm a passionate fan. It's been absolutely agonizing to go through every day of this season, wondering if this is the last game I'll see of this team. Especially after I lost the Thrashers last year. The Coyotes have been proving everyone wrong for a while now, call it good, structured coaching, call it luck, call it "wizard"ry, dark magic. Call it Gary Bettman being a :censored:. I don't care, because Bettman is a huge :censored:, and I hate him, and he probably doesn't have the balls to move the Coyotes at this point. Can you really move them now? After a division championship against all odds? After 3 straight playoff appearances, against all odds?

I don't think it's gonna happen. Either, someone steps up and buys this team over the offseason (Jamison? Treliving? Someone?), or Glendale forks over another 5 million. They already have 20 million in their budget to keep operating the team. The NHL will be asking for another 25 mil. Call me crazy, but after this success, people are gonna finally start showing up to the games next season. (yes, yes, I know, why didn't they show up this season? if you ask me, it's because people thought it was a given that the team would suck ass this year, and move. it didn't quite play out like that). Attendance was good to end the year. Jobing.com arena will be rocking for the playoffs. Another little 5 million isn't bad in the grand scheme of things, if the fine citizens of Arizona start going to the games.

I'm talking out my ass at this point, my view of this situation is incredibly biased and probably far too optimistic. I don't care. All I really want at this point is a playoff series win, it's been far too long. And I want to know that my favorite sports team isn't going anywhere. Because goddammit, it's gonna hurt if they move, it's gonna hurt a lot. At least, I can take small solace in the fact that the Coyotes being a successful team in the past 3 years pisses off Canadian, pro-team-in-Quebec-City people so much. Just look at the quote that is the title of this thread. It's the biggest anomaly in pro sports. It's a paradox. So, long live hockey in the desert.

And :censored: it, GO COYOTES.

You're passion and fury is certainly understandable, it's just that you're placing far to much value on on-ice success.

I'm one who thinks that it makes the league more "legit" to have successful franchises in big market cities, however it's simply not possible to argue rationally in favor of the city continuing to do what they're doing to keep a team that is just not set up in a way to ever re-pay the citizens for their investment. In a different time, with a different business plan, maybe Phoenix could work - but the whole Glendale deal has simply made it impossible at this point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic

The Rock is built like that... Open concourse with a direct view of the ice from anywhere...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

My favorite feature of Citizens Bank Park is the 360 concourse with full view of the action from anywhere. I never even thought about something like that being built into an indoor arena like that. That's f'ing fantastic

The Rock is built like that... Open concourse with a direct view of the ice from anywhere...

Is it really? I just googled a few articles and read that one end of the mezzanine is open, providing a "baseball park-like view", but I didn't realize that the entire thing was open.

Is it really? I just googled a few articles and read that one end of the mezzanine is open, providing a "baseball park-like view", but I didn't realize that the entire thing was open.

Jobing.com Arena in Glendale is like that (except the endzones). Consol Energy Center in Pittsburgh is also like that (the Pens CEO asked for the interior to resemble Jobing.com Arena).

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Can you really move them now? After a division championship against all odds?

Well, the NHL is the league that saw the Quebec Nordiques relocate to Denver in time for the 1995-96 season after winning the Northeast Division title in 1994-95. ;)

...and go on to win the Stanley Cup the next year.

spacer.png

I believe the Penguins attempted something like that at Consol (not sure though). The Devils have it that way in their arena on the ends of the lower concourse and one end of the upper concourse.

Edit: I was beat to the punch it seems.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps