NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

there's no history of hockey support in this arena

You know how I know you aren't from here?

so-youre-gay-now_clink_large.jpg

• Like 3
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Is my computer slow or is that one not animated? :)

It's a rare non-gif.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

It was confirmed on the Hotstove tonight that if the Coyotes do not have a deal in place by July 2nd, the team is moving to...

Seattle.

This once again begs the question of what someone who obviously dislikes Canada is doing in charge of a HOCKEY league. Quebec City would be the far better and more feasible market.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Part of me almost wonders if attempting to move the team to Seattle is the NHL's attempt to trojan horse a temporary contraction through. "Oh look the arena isn't ready so we're going to have to suspend operations." Mind you, this theory means they believe they can convince a labor judge that Quebec is completely unviable and unready as a market, which in reality strikes me as unlikely barring the presence of a very corrupt judge and the exchange of a significant sum of money.

In this instance, a non-corrupt judge would be the unlikely thing.

It was confirmed on the Hotstove tonight that if the Coyotes do not have a deal in place by July 2nd, the team is moving to...

Seattle.

This once again begs the question of what someone who obviously dislikes Canada is doing in charge of a HOCKEY league. Quebec City would be the far better and more feasible market.

But we moved Columbus to the east! We can't ever change it again you guys...

• Like 1

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I wouldn't be averse to Seattle under the right conditions. There's not a single right condition here right now, though. 9,000 uncompromised seats, a super-short relocation, no distinct clamor for hockey for hockey's sake and not the means to a Supersonics end. Seattle sports fans really distinguished themselves as a big bunch of sh-tbirds during Chris Hansen Fever, especially on the hockey side. Not only were they coveting one city's team, but they were cutting in line to covet it from the city that should be getting it in the first place, and screw them anyway because we need this more than they do, those hockey coprophages. Let 'em pay half a million dollars for an expansion team. Then there's the unstated or just-plain-stated sentiment of really getting the Sonics back and while we're at it a hockey team because hey we're really awesome and stuff let's wear scarves and march to the match or prance to the pitch or whatever they do for Drew Carey FC.

I still want to believe this is all just a bunch of nonsense (Glenn Healy breaking a story? Magical mystery investor who plans to put Jeremy freaking Roenick in charge of hockey ops? *dismissive wanking*) and this is just an elaborate ruse to ratchet up the price for Quebecor, who has been making clear move to prepare for assuming control of a team, but this is just the kind of stupidity I've come to expect from the league. I'm gonna piss in Gary Bettman's mouth so hard, people are gonna think a jellyfish stung his tongue.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think we also need to point out that the provisionally named "Seattle Totems" have a best case scenario of being 4th banana on the local sports scene, and will drop to 5th if the city ever gets its baseball team. Hell, depending on the support Washington gets up there they might drop another rank. Market size or not, does this league really want to put itself in a position where it will lose attendance and ratings wars to the :censored: ing MLS?!

In how many American markets with 3+ "top four+" teams (even the hockey hotbeds) does the NHL team have a legit claim in being #1 or #2?

I mean, the Bruins are an Original 6 team, but they'll never be bigger than the Red Sox or Celtics. Nor would the Blackhawks ever be bigger than the Cubs/White Sox and Bears.

In how many American markets with 3+ "top four+" teams (even the hockey hotbeds) does the NHL team have a legit claim in being #1 or #2?

I can only really come up with Detroit.

Denver could but that would only be "who's the best right now other than the Broncos", and not an "always" case.

If they were to get an NBA team I could make a case for Pittsburgh and even that is only because the Pirates have been so awful for two decades now (I know they're good this year). Historically though, the Pirates would still trump the Pens.

Any other 3-big 4 cities, were they to acquire the missing one however, I don't think it would happen in.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Denver could but that would only be "who's the best right now other than the Broncos", and not an "always" case.

If they were to get an NBA team I could make a case for Pittsburgh and even that is only because the Pirates have been so awful for two decades now (I know they're good this year). Historically though, the Pirates would still trump the Pens.

Any other 3-big 4 cities, were they to acquire the missing one however, I don't think it would happen in.

You wouldn't think it, but in Detroit its Lions #1 and what ever team is doing better at the time for #2

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

You wouldn't think it, but in Detroit its Lions #1 and what ever team is doing better at the time for #2

That seems rather ironic, doesn't it?

That's fair, but I've been here almost seven years. I don't see a latent demand for hockey. At all really. Granted, I've never been to Kent to watch Thunderbirds, but I have seen them at KeyArena. It wasn't an impressive showing, on any account.

I'd be happy if it all worked out here. I just don't expect it to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Could go with Seattle Brewers...Starbucks would love it.

Given Bud Selig moved the Pilots to Milwaukee to BECOME the Brewers, this is just tonedeaf.

I'm surprised nobody wants to harken back to those 1919 Seattle Metropolitans...

Most informal votes are Thunderbirds or Metropolitans. I imagine that's the direction they go and in either case, that banner gets raised because a Cup is a Cup.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions