NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Arena capacity doesn't have much to do with corporate support. Especially if the NHL considers all tickets allocated or given away towards attendance, as I believe they do.

Sure, selling those suites is nice. But ad revenue is nicer.

Time for another Vern Fonk Power Play brought to you by Bing!

nhl94vansigpng.png

Arena capacity doesn't have much to do with corporate support. Especially if the NHL considers all tickets allocated or given away towards attendance, as I believe they do.

Sure, selling those suites is nice. But ad revenue is nicer.

However, even if the 56-58 suites of KeyArena are sold and KeyArena gets an official naming sponsor*, it is still a team which will still lose money.

The franchise left then-America West (Suns) arena for Glendale for both favorable suite and advertising revenue, but even those teams who are a sole tenant (NSH/CBJ/STL/FL/TB) either own or operate the facility (or both) and STILL cannot break even. If 50% of the league cannot break even, then there is a larger issue. We will see more after a few years within this new CBA.

I know the NHL wants to keep realignment in tact, but I would view Key Arena as a last resort move. I guess it would depend on the number of season there and how much revenue loss would accrue in the time from the first game to the team moving to their new arena. I also wonder if there's a Plan C and what that might be/entail.

Any word on when we will know who's staying/going? I know some vote was to take place next week, but Bettman wanted it sooner, but that's the last I've heard of it.

I think I have stated the Seattle Roast billions of times already. It would be an awesome tribute to the coffee industry, and I love Seattle coffee (specifically Starbucks).

Ever think there's a reason everyone keeps ignoring you?

I am just based on his coffee choice. Starbucks? Bleh.

What exactly is wrong with Quebec City?

For the NHL? It's in French Canada and it would be the smallest market in North American pro sports. Which means it's not exactly helpful in TV deals on either side of the border where Phoenix or Seattle are larger, more interesting markets to the TV guys. And not just any part of French Canada, but a part where French is almost exclusively spoken. Which means it's not a place players are all that fond of going reportedly since so many of them are not even native English speakers and would then have to learn a 3rd language. At least these are the excuses I've heard. Take them as you will.

I think I have stated the Seattle Roast billions of times already. It would be an awesome tribute to the coffee industry, and I love Seattle coffee (specifically Starbucks).

Ever think there's a reason everyone keeps ignoring you?

I am just based on his coffee choice. Starbucks? Bleh.

At least I respect opinions. :P

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

Not all opinions are worth respecting. Dumb ideas deserve to be called out as such. Welcome to grown-up time, pony-boy.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Then just say "It's a dumb idea", give an explanation why, and then I would take it as constructive criticism.

It's a dumb idea. And I'm not comfortable with the idea that you are somehow entitled to an explanation why. Opinions can be wrong. in this instance yours is.

nhl94vansigpng.png

Then just say "It's a dumb idea", give an explanation why, and then I would take it as constructive criticism.

You must be new to the Internet.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

(Quebec City) would be the smallest market in North American pro sports

Ahem...

dcy03myfhffbki5d7il3.gif

Quebec (Lévis) : 765,706

Green Bay Metro Area: 311,098

Source: www.citypopulation.de

*I realize that the Packers have all of Wisconsin (6 million) behind them, but the Quebec City NHL team would have half of Quebec Province (and probably a sizeable portion of the Maritimes) on its side. That's at least 4 million potential viewers, which is enough of a market for an NHL team. Yes, there is the issue of exchange rates and corporate sponsorship, blah, blah - but most of the profitable teams in the NHL are north of the Canada-US border.

I know the NHL wants to keep realignment in tact, but I would view Key Arena as a last resort move. I guess it would depend on the number of season there and how much revenue loss would accrue in the time from the first game to the team moving to their new arena. I also wonder if there's a Plan C and what that might be/entail.

Any word on when we will know who's staying/going? I know some vote was to take place next week, but Bettman wanted it sooner, but that's the last I've heard of it.

I think the key dates are the Glendale City Council meeting on June 25 and the NHL Board of Governors meeting on June 27. I haven't heard about any earlier votes on the lease.

*I realize that the Packers have all of Wisconsin (6 million) behind them, but the Quebec City NHL team would have half of Quebec Province (and probably a sizeable portion of the Maritimes) on its side. That's at least 4 million potential viewers, which is enough of a market for an NHL team. Yes, there is the issue of exchange rates and corporate sponsorship, blah, blah - but most of the profitable teams in the NHL are north of the Canada-US border.

But the commissioner/president of the NHL probably LIKES the US.

Bettman probably wouldn't but a team in Moose Jaw if it struck tritanium infused diamonds and it's population boomed to 15 million.

(Quebec City) would be the smallest market in North American pro sports

Ahem...

dcy03myfhffbki5d7il3.gif

Source: www.citypopulation.de

Hear, Hear!

Surely there are parts in Wisconsin that root for the Bears and Vikings, and I guess the whole of Milwaukee can't be Cheeseheads! I am almost certain that since the Nordiques left QC, not everyone would have gone 'Hey what happens now, shall we root for the Habs?' I would hazard a guess that most hockey fans in that Northern part of Quebec don't have an allegiance to anyone, except the memory of the Quebec Nordiques, and watch hockey because of nothing more or less than the sheer fact that they love it. Thus making the region arguably the largest market of passionate hockey fans without a professional team.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but don't the CFL's Saskatchewan Roughriders play in the continents smallest 'major' league market, I think Regina is just shy of 200,000, or maybe that doesn't count...

Also I may not have posted here in a while, but have been following this story closely all the way. Will anyone miss the Coyotes, or in particular thread that has seen the franchise moving to Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City and now Seattle. What happens after, do we start on another team and speculate about their landing spots. Either way this forum will be a lonely place without talk of the Coyotes moving.

Looking back you see how ridiculous and unprofessional the NHL has been regarding this matter, they should have gave an legitimate ultimatum long ago. No matter what Gary Bettman has done for the NHL over the years, this will always be a stain on his legacy.

• Like 1

Comparing Quebec to Green Bay is silly, since the NFL has a completely different revenue model and the packers are a huge TV draw

Comparing Quebec to Green Bay is silly, since the NFL has a completely different revenue model and the packers are a huge TV draw

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I guess you are right, but without these comparisons and debates, this thread may as well be a giant news feed....