U.S. Soccer New Logo?

Sport Billy

The weights and angles of everything there is perfect. The letterforms are much better and the way they align exactly with the stripes is awesome. You could even spin it as "11 stripes for 11 players." The new crest is fine to me, but that update you posted, BMA, is much better.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im not really one for "here's what i would have done logo proposals" but Manuel dos Santos nailed it here. the shapes, alignment, spacing, and weights of this little tweak make for a far better crafted logo. you might say "but it doesn't feature 13 stripes!", but with this concept, 13 stripes doesn't work. it's still clear what this logo represents, and thats the point while having a well crafted logo, but if you want 13 stripes, its just not going to work within this design

CcbFD5lVAAEi09b.jpg

Yeah I'd tent to agree with that. I still think this emblem lacks something. It's kind of uninspired and devoid of a personality. It's too sterile and 'flat' for my liking.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

34 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im not really one for "here's what i would have done logo proposals" but Manuel dos Santos nailed it here. the shapes, alignment, spacing, and weights of this little tweak make for a far better crafted logo. you might say "but it doesn't feature 13 stripes!", but with this concept, 13 stripes doesn't work. it's still clear what this logo represents, and thats the point while having a well crafted logo, but if you want 13 stripes, its just not going to work within this design

CcbFD5lVAAEi09b.jpg

Everything about the new logo is forced.  That's a much more acceptable solution you posted. I've just found it shocking how subpar all the recent logowork coming out of Nike has been over the last 2 years.

5 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

CcbFD5lVAAEi09b.jpg

5 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

The weights and angles of everything there is perfect. The letterforms are much better and the way they align exactly with the stripes is awesome. You could even spin it as "11 stripes for 11 players." The new crest is fine to me, but that update you posted, BMA, is much better.

There's an even easier answer than that, one which would solve this problem while still featuring the new aesthetics from that concept and also giving people in this thread something else they've clamored for.  Switch the colors on the stripes, making the white red and the red white.  That would give you thirteen stripes.  How do you reconcile that with the upper part of the crest?  Switch the red and the navy.  Then ditch the outline or have a white one (or possibly gold), and you have thirteen stripes, a blue field like the flag has, with white lettering, and a more colorful look, while still having all the lines and forms exactly like it looks there.  I just wish I could draw this up as easily as all you guys do.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ahhhhh, but screw it.  I did it anyway.  It's really slapshod and crappy looking, but I did it in Paint in half an hour and it gets the idea across.  No disrespect to the original artist, of course.

nqa9ht.jpg

I like it, although it looks very 40's war efforty, like something Captain America would wear.  Mayhaps all the white gives it a more modern-looking look that the federation wants.  Or, maybe it's just because tracing this in paint caused the letters to be rounded and bubbly.  XD

spacer.png

spacer.png

9 hours ago, GFB said:

Everything about the new logo is forced.  That's a much more acceptable solution you posted. I've just found it shocking how subpar all the recent logowork coming out of Nike has been over the last 2 years.

i hate to say it, but i feel the same way. (and we could go on about logos in pro sports as well). its amazing that on that entire campus, good logo designers are apparently hard to come by. and if it's not the talent, then it has to be the process - i think people might work on things there they dont really know a lot about and have to do it quickly which hurts the final product. but thats just a guess; giving them the benefit of the talent doubt

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

3 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Ahhhhh, but screw it.  I did it anyway.  It's really slapshod and crappy looking, but I did it in Paint in half an hour and it gets the idea across.  No disrespect to the original artist, of course.

nqa9ht.jpg

I like it, although it looks very 40's war efforty, like something Captain America would wear.  Mayhaps all the white gives it a more modern-looking look that the federation wants.  Or, maybe it's just because tracing this in paint caused the letters to be rounded and bubbly.  XD

if we're going this way, i think bottom right is best. it still needs that blue border to hold it all together though and i prefer the separation of red and blue with the white space. good job. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

15 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

CcbFD5lVAAEi09b.jpg

There's not 13 stripes, but there is 11. Not sure if many people picked up on that or if that was even intentional (didn't see his original post). Like you said, you don't need 13 stripes to get the point of the illustration across. Having 11 in there is just a fantastic way of representing both the country and the game. I would love to see the cutting room floor for this project, there's no way they didn't try a version like this, is there?

I think Nike's lack of logo prowess as of late might have less to do with the talent of the designers and more to do with the amount of cooks in the kitchen. I've never worked for Nike like I know some members here have, but I wouldn't be surprised if my theory is correct.

23 minutes ago, C-Squared said:

It's already been covered.

I'm not the biggest Nike fan here, but not even I'm going to think for a moment that they just ripped off an obscure youth baseball league logo.

Ockham's Razor suggests that it's the youth league who ripped off Nike/the USSF, not the other way around.

30 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's already been covered.

I'm not the biggest Nike fan here, but not even I'm going to think for a moment that they just ripped off an obscure youth baseball league logo.

Ockham's Razor suggests that it's the youth league who ripped off Nike/the USSF, not the other way around.

I loved the large amount of "Nike-speak that the league used to explain the logo too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I loved the large amount of "Nike-speak that the league used to explain the logo too.

Yeah, of all the amateur ripoffs floating around, it isn't every day you find one that's ripping off 8 months into the future AND comes with a copywriter-approved explanation.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

12 minutes ago, Digby said:

Yeah, of all the amateur ripoffs floating around, it isn't every day you find one that's ripping off 8 months into the future AND comes with a copywriter-approved explanation.

It wasn't eight months into the future, it was one week after a leak.

12 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

nqa9ht.jpg

the 2 bottom ones are the the exact mock up of what I thought it should look like when I first saw the logo leak last year.

would still look generic, but at least flag wise correct with white on blue and not the other way around.

(if gold, should be a darker one tough, not so much on the yellow side)

2 hours ago, C-Squared said:

SB Nation edited the content of the article after getting slaughtered in the comments section on facebook... et tu, SB Nation?

SB Nation is a glorified blog. Worse even than Deadspin, since Gawker has a few actual writers mixed in with the chaff that is their staff.

Archived