Future of NFL "Color Rush"

kixbinder5

12 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The problem with the Giants' wordmark as a helmet logo is not the associations; obviously it was worn by great teams and great players.

The problem is the dimensions.  It's too long relative to its height, and so sits terribly awkwardly in the space on the side of a helmet.  It's not a bad wordmark; but it doesn't belong on the helmet.

The classic/current ny logo is far superior as a helmet logo in that its height-to-width ratio is perfect for that application.  And the same goes for the 1975 NY logo.  Those logos fit on the helmet so beautifully because they are equally tall and wide, just as are the logos for the Steelers and the Raiders.  The ny and NY logos fit on the helmet in a manner similar to the fit of the Packers', Bears', and 49ers' logos, which are all just a little longer than they are tall.  

But a helmet logo that is too long really does not work -- which is why the current Broncos' logo is so much worse than the classic one, and why the new Dolphins logo, with the changed orientation of the dolphin, is a downgrade from the old one.  This dimensional problem should rule out the Giants' wordmark as a helmet logo.

A great helmet logo can also be taller than it is long, such as the Colts' logo and the old Oilers' logo.  And, of course, there are helmets whose designs operate from a different principle, and which do not seek to present a logo in the standard manner, i.e., centred on the helmet, such as the helmets of the Rams, the Eagles, and the Vikings.  But the only helmet that I can think of which gets away with a logo that is much longer than it is tall is the Seahawks.  

Regarding the uniforms: the uniform in which the Giants played last night, which is the same as the uniform in which LT is pictured above (apart from the socks), would be a fine road kit.  While I like the stark simplicity of the classic/current white road jersey, I nevertheless understand the argument that it doesn't go well with the helmet.  However, last night's uniform does not need the "GIANTS" wordmark helmet; it should be paired with the current/classic ny helmet (or, in the ideal world, with the 1975 NY helmet).

I don't know that the dimensions are the "problem" with the word mark as a helmet logo.. Imo, helmet logos should be relatively simple and generally follow one of two basic rules: 1. Letters/monograms should be reserved for referencing location. 2. Images/symbols should be reserved for referencing nicknames.. I'll also add that a single letter (like Chicago) or double letter (like Kansas City) should suffice.. Entire word marks really don't belong on helmets given the other options, and even then, text should be used for location, not nicknames..

Also in just the NFL - KC, SD, NE, AZ, BAL, DET, SEA, as well as MIA and DEN imo all have helmet logos that work very well being longer than tall.. Not to mention classic helmet designs like FSU that look amazing.. I don't think it has nearly as much to do with dimensions as it does application, positioning, and what it actually is.. Which is where word marks hit a speed bump, because they don't typically get applied in a perfectly horizontal manner, so you get an awkwardly angled mess that is immediately visually unpleasant

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I dont know if anyones noticed this but I feel like ever since Nike has taken over we no longer get the cool Fan jerseys. 

82d2d6f4eed7ca1e2fac385b228e2f0a.jpg

aa418d0c3224e754fef5a9b6d99f76bb.jpg

What are you talking about???

ranked-the-top-9-nike-color-rush-uniform

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

53 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

I dont know if anyones noticed this but I feel like ever since Nike has taken over we no longer get the cool Fan jerseys. 

82d2d6f4eed7ca1e2fac385b228e2f0a.jpg

aa418d0c3224e754fef5a9b6d99f76bb.jpg

I think this has more to do with the fact that fashion jerseys aren't really in style anymore in pop culture. Nike has made specially jerseys, but they just do sell as well as 10 years ago.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

24 minutes ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I think this has more to do with the fact that fashion jerseys aren't really in style anymore in pop culture. Nike has made specially jerseys, but they just do sell as well as 10 years ago.

They make specialty jerseys but they aren't typically the same template as the home and away like the ones I posted above. Call me corny but I use to really like these and still have a bunch. A yellow Priest Holmes multiple Black Jets jerseys and a Gold Vernon Davis 49ers just to mention a few.

1 hour ago, BlackBolt3 said:

I enjoyed the grey fan jerseys from a few years back

ff_2150197_xl.jpg&w=340

On 12/24/2016 at 1:08 AM, WavePunter said:

I don't know that the dimensions are the "problem" with the word mark as a helmet logo.. Imo, helmet logos should be relatively simple and generally follow one of two basic rules: 1. Letters/monograms should be reserved for referencing location. 2. Images/symbols should be reserved for referencing nicknames.. I'll also add that a single letter (like Chicago) or double letter (like Kansas City) should suffice.. Entire word marks really don't belong on helmets given the other options, and even then, text should be used for location, not nicknames..

Also in just the NFL - KC, SD, NE, AZ, BAL, DET, SEA, as well as MIA and DEN imo all have helmet logos that work very well being longer than tall.. Not to mention classic helmet designs like FSU that look amazing.. I don't think it has nearly as much to do with dimensions as it does application, positioning, and what it actually is.. Which is where word marks hit a speed bump, because they don't typically get applied in a perfectly horizontal manner, so you get an awkwardly angled mess that is immediately visually unpleasant

I agree - dimensions aren't the issue. There are plenty of excellent helmets with more horizontal logos.

My issue is that wordmark looks so generic. Yes, it's condensed, italicized and underlined to give a more "giant" effect but it's still generic and bland.

People who like the "GIANTS" helmet are just nostalgic for the 80's.

The NY has a bit more personality and works better as an icon/logomark.

I'd like to see a concept with an NY mark.  While the "best of both" rarely works, I think it would in this case.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah, the (really bad) underlying idea is that teams would be draped in one color head-to-toe, so it'd be two blocks of color facing off against one another. The idea fails on quite a few levels:

1. Generally, monochrome uniforms looks terrible in football, outside of all-white uniforms (which aren't a novelty at all, given that they've been around for decades). 
  2. The concept only works so much when you can't change color of the helmet, meaning there's one uniform element that inherently can't conform to the "head-to-toe" color (making it more of a "neck-to-toe" color).
  3. In order to be able to sell alternate jerseys, many teams are picking out different colors to use for Color Rush from their traditional "main" color. While this isn't inherently a bad thing, it does kind of undercut the notion of a certain color representing the team (like the 49ers using a tertiary color which has little relevance to their overall identity).
  4. Color versus color matchups only work in certain pairings. This includes issues of colorblindness, which almost derailed the entire Color Rush program from the outset with that infamous Jets-Bills matchup.

I get the idea of wanting each team to wear a "singular" color to represent them, but it fails on many, many levels. The most important of which is, 90% of the time, it just doesn't look good, outside of all-white looks (which we can and do get any time).

On 12/25/2016 at 1:02 AM, wyopokes2 said:

I enjoyed the grey fan jerseys from a few years back

Second that! My gf combined my heather grey shirt and football jersey obsessions and nestled this under our Xmas tree:

nike_bills_880.jpg

Absolutely love it - much softer and stretchier than the average jersey... would have absolutely killed for this material to make wrestling trunks

Of the 15 TNF Color Rush games played, these are the 5 games that stood out to me as the best looking matchups:

1. Saints-Panthers

AddisonSack

2. Broncos-Chargers

usp_nfl__denver_broncos_at_san_diego_cha

3. Bears-Packers

image-pv_web.jpg

4. Giants-Eagles

12-22-cruz-------usethumb--nfl_medium_54

5. Raiders-Chiefs

CHIEFS%20RAIDERS%200894%20DE%202016

All of these matchups used the intended Color Rush uniforms yet 4 of the 5 had one team in all white. To me, this proves that color-on-color isn't necessarily the best option.

The Top 5 individual color rush uniforms:

1. Broncos

2. Giants

3. Saints

4. Steelers

5. Ravens

I loved a lot of the white uniforms used on TNF, especially the Saints, Raiders, Giants and Bengals. Also, a lot of the color choices seemed so off for teams that could've incorporated better color options, including the dolphins (aqua), jags (black or maybe teal) to name a few. A lot of people seemed to enjoy the Broncos/Chargers matchup, showing that when color/color is done right the game can look great. Looking at other teams color rush combinations from 2016, and the 2017 NFL schedules, there are some cool matchups that can be played. 

This is keeping in mind that I don't have a lot of knowledge about colorblindness, so I apologize in advance if some of these matchups are not doable for that reason. 

Tennessee Titans @ Pittsburgh Steelers 

1.png\

Minnesota Vikings @ Atlanta Falcons 

2.png

Kansas City Chiefs @ New England Patriots 

3.png

Arizona Cardinals vs. Seattle Seahawks 

4.png

Archived