NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Hot take part 2 alert: Veterans fought in wars precisely so Kaepernick could refuse to stand during the national anthem. Freedom is the freedom to sit or stand whenever you want. And of course to take criticism after the fact. But Kaepernick doesn't owe anyone anything, so long as he's not actively hurting people. (And he isn't.)

Yeah, but that's what the freedoms generally are... freedom to not be thrown in jail for free speech, which isn't even a consideration. All that's happening is everyone else expressing their freedom of speech about him being an asshat.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I agree. I'll go a step further and say that I don't understand why it's played before any sports event. My guess is it probably started with one team playing the anthem, other teams didn't want to look like America hating commies so they played it too, and here we are. That said, if the anthem is being played, I don't see the harm in showing simple respect. I think it's kinda silly to play the national anthem before games, but I still show respect when it's played. It's not like being respectful takes a huge effort.

Anyway, Colin Kaepernick sitting out the anthem doesn't change my opinion of him in any way. He did what he thought was right and it was his right to do so, right?

I believe it started out just as a special occasion (July 4th, Opening Day, etc.) in the late 1800's, then including the World Series around World War I, then all sporting events during World War II.

Count me on the side of "keep the anthem at games", especially with our guys still putting their lives on the line so we can enjoy our freedoms today.  It takes two minutes out of your day.  It's a chance for everyone in the venue to have that momentary feeling of "We're all on one team, and dammit this is a great country!".

On the surface, it doesn't make much sense to play it before games, but when else would you hear the anthem? I like it just for that reason. It's nice to take a minute to stop and think.

On 22/08/2016 at 5:01 PM, CS85 said:

Preseason blows.  Always has.  Always will.  They should have two 4-quarter scrimmages held at a team's camp location that starters can't participate in unless there's emergencies.  But they can't make millions doing it that way.

Preseason is about the only time i can justify the cost of going to a NFL game, not to mention how great and affordable it is for families.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

32 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

On the surface, it doesn't make much sense to play it before games, but when else would you hear the anthem? I like it just for that reason. It's nice to take a minute to stop and think.

This. Before big games I like having that quiet time when everyone gets to mentally check into the moment. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

I agree. I'll go a step further and say that I don't understand why it's played before any sports event. My guess is it probably started with one team playing the anthem, other teams didn't want to look like America hating commies so they played it too, and here we are. That said, if the anthem is being played, I don't see the harm in showing simple respect. I think it's kinda silly to play the national anthem before games, but I still show respect when it's played. It's not like being respectful takes a huge effort.

Anyway, Colin Kaepernick sitting out the anthem doesn't change my opinion of him in any way. He did what he thought was right and it was his right to do so, right?

The only thing worse than than the anthem before a sporting event is a prayer at a NASCAR event (then again, maybe you do need a prayer for driving over 200mph).

I understand with how Kaepernick feels, but not necessarily agree how he decides to express his anger. I am not outraged about it. For crying out loud it wasn't too long ago that people going crazy over Gabby Douglas not putting her hand above her heart during the anthem.

I saw, I came, I left.

Isn't outrage for someone "not showing enough respect" just a demand for "political correctness" from the "other side."  Someone does not like (insert racial, religious, sexual group).  Some others are offended.  The offended are dismissed and derided as "too sensitive" and/or "PC."

Someone does not show proper respect to the flag and/or country.  Tons of people get upset...because they are offended.  Nobody is derided as too sensitive or PC.  

"But this is about respect."  Bull.  It's about how it's not OK for others to be offended by that which does not offend me...but still OK for me to be offended by that which does.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

The only thing worse than than the anthem before a sporting event is a prayer at a NASCAR event (then again, maybe you do need a prayer for driving over 200mph).

I understand with how Kaepernick feels, but not necessarily agree how he decides to express his anger. I am not outraged about it. For crying out loud it wasn't too long ago that people going crazy over Gabby Douglas not putting her hand above her heart during the anthem.

they also have a a invocation before the Army/Navy game by the way.  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

There's not much difference between playing the national anthem before a NFL game and playing it before Target opens its doors every morning.

And if we're doing it because there's people overseas fighting, or for our veterans, then where do we draw the line?  SHould I have sung (or at least hummed) it before typing this post?  They died so I could post in the Lounge.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

There's not much difference between playing the national anthem before a NFL game and playing it before Target opens its doors every morning.

or a baseball game at Target Field.

I saw, I came, I left.

Stepping away from Squidward being an asshat, let's get to the real issue...

How in the hell did Jacksonville get a Sunday Night game? I know it's preseason, but come on! The Jags suck all sorts of ass and are one of the very few teams that should never have a game appear nationwide (The others being the Lions, Browns and 49ers)

56 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Stepping away from Squidward being an asshat, let's get to the real issue...

How in the hell did Jacksonville get a Sunday Night game? I know it's preseason, but come on! The Jags suck all sorts of ass and are one of the very few teams that should never have a game appear nationwide (The others being the Lions, Browns and 49ers)

Don't be surprised at all if Jacksonville wins the AFC-S this year. Cycle back on this tweet when it gets proven wrong, of course, but it sure wouldn't shock me in the least if they win their division this year.

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

Here. You tell me which are actual jerseys

Cq9PsZ_WAAAMamv.jpg

Cq8naNHWAAAe4Z2.jpgCq8syRlUkAEZERX.jpg

Those are all jerseys, but the first was a t-shirt. In any event, that's one way to get rid of unwanted clothes. A trip to Goodwill would have been better. The world needs more angry Goodwill donation Vines.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Those are all jerseys, but the first was a t-shirt. In any event, that's one way to get rid of unwanted clothes. A trip to Goodwill would have been better. The world needs more angry Goodwill donation Vines.

Jersey, shirsey same thing different price point. Burning it into a fireball to the national anthem sends the same message.

Archived