NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

On 8/10/2015 at 5:57 PM, the admiral said:

Minnesota Vikings: They seem to be good more often than not in my lifetime, seldom awful, but rarely great, and when things do start looking really good for them, everything comes crashing down in some outstandingly wonderful way that often manages to be more ridiculous than the last time. They had one of the best regular seasons of all time in '98 and then fell short of the Super Bowl on a field goal to some horsecrap Atlanta team no one remembers. Their central-casting lunkhead coach got in trouble for scalping Super Bowl tickets. There was an incident involving a "sex boat." They fell short of another Super Bowl because stupid old Brett Favre threw an interception. Then the best running back of a generation got kicked out of the league for beating the crap out of his kid with a tree branch. Through all this, Minnesotans manage to keep up their famous Scandinavian stoicism and understatement. Forget hooliganism: Vikings games, along with Packers games, are the kinds of places where if you stand up and clap, some old fart will turn to you with his or her index finger pressed to his/her lips, saying "some of us are trying to watch the game."

Recommended if you like: lakes, Norwegians, malls, losing, calm comfort in your unshakable belief that you're superior to everyone

I wrote this post to help a British fellow pick a football team last summer. Since then, the Vikings lost a playoff game at home by shanking a 20-yard field goal and then their quarterback's leg randomly decided it didn't want to be a leg anymore in the middle of an August practice. Usually there are a few years between Vikings calamities, this was like seven months.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, the admiral said:

Football is so cool because every day of August is spent praying in vain that an important player won't just spontaneously combust like a Spinal Tap drummer on some idle weekday. People always say we need to cut down on preseason games to avoid injuries, but that doesn't account for all the times some lineman is out for the entire year because he was lifting weights and his intestines fell out of his butt.

That anyone is able to walk by the time the playoffs happen is astounding*. I'm to the point where any play where someone isn't carted off is a surprise and a minor miracle. The sport is basically "whoever can get through 20 games of bonking heads and colliding bodies with the fewest injuries to their most important players wins" and somehow it's always the same 5 teams. 

(*they're all probably on something)

PvO6ZWJ.png

One year Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers will be injured and/or bad. Roesthlisberger gets injured every 9 games or so, and Romo routinely dies for everyone else's sins.

The coming sea change in quarterbacking is going to be great for the rest of us. Make football fun again.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I can't wait until Aaron Rodgers' soul leaves his body and returns back to the hell from whence it came.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

18 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I can't wait until Aaron Rodgers' soul leaves his body and returns back to the hell from whence it came.

You don't think the next great QB will be the heir to Rodgers's starting job?  You have to be nearly 40 to remember the Packers not being a contender (i.e., not having a HOFer at QB).  The next one is coming...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

10 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

You don't think the next great QB will be the heir to Rodgers's starting job?  You have to be nearly 40 to remember the Packers not being a contender (i.e., not having a HOFer at QB).  The next one is coming...

ohPXXPg.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I wonder what its like to have a QB who can take a hit, unlike the balsa specials the Rams keep getting.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

31 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

That anyone is able to walk by the time the playoffs happen is astounding*. I'm to the point where any play where someone isn't carted off is a surprise and a minor miracle. The sport is basically "whoever can get through 20 games of bonking heads and colliding bodies with the fewest injuries to their most important players wins" and somehow it's always the same 5 teams. 

(*they're all probably on something)

'BUT THE PARITY OF THE NATIONAL. FOOTBALL. LEAGUE." they say as the Patriots, Steelers, or Peyton Manning wins the AFC again

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

6 hours ago, DG_Now said:

One year Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers will be injured and/or bad. Roesthlisberger gets injured every 9 games or so, and Romo routinely dies for everyone else's sins.

The coming sea change in quarterbacking is going to be great for the rest of us. Make football fun again.

Tom Brady is 39 this season.  Thirty-nine.  That's legitimately old (for football).  It has to happen one of these years.

18 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Tom Brady is 39 this season.  Thirty-nine.  That's legitimately old (for football).  It has to happen one of these years.

Since Brady took over, the Bills have had the following saviors:

- Doug Flutie

- Rob Johnson

- Drew Bledsoe

- JP Losman

- Trent Edwards

- Kelly Holcomb

- Harvard Kid

- EJ Manuel

- Kyle Orton

- Tyrod Taylor

Plus flirtations with Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Matt Cassell, and probably a few more I'm forgetting. Some of those guys were actually pretty good too! The NFL stinks.

EDIT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Buffalo_Bills_starting_quarterbacks

I actually did pretty well.  I only left out Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel (who the hell?), Brian Brohm, and Alex Van Pelt. And Doug Flutie doesn't really count; Brady took over in the postseason after Flutie's last season in Buffalo.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

26 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

- Doug Flutie

- Rob Johnson

- Drew Bledsoe

- JP Losman

- Trent Edwards

- Kelly Holcomb

- Harvard Kid

- EJ Manuel

- Kyle Orton

- Tyrod Taylor

Plus flirtations with Vince Young, Matt Leinart, Matt Cassell, and probably a few more I'm forgetting. Some of those guys were actually pretty good too! The NFL stinks.

I actually did pretty well.  I only left out Thad Lewis, Jeff Tuel (who the hell?), Brian Brohm, and Alex Van Pelt. And Doug Flutie doesn't really count; Brady took over in the postseason after Flutie's last season in Buffalo.

Just goes to show just how much NFL success is dependent on steady quarterback play.  There's a constant when it comes to seeing the usual suspects reach the playoffs in the NFL, and also why the best free agent QB this past offseason is Brock Osweiler.  You find what you feel is "your answer" at QB, and you lock him up, even if he's, at best, average.  Tyrod Taylor is now a $100 million QB because the Bills hope he's that answer to get out of the spin-cycle they've been in since Flutie left.  Teams are so desperate to find that answer at QB that they throw huge money at that position, even if the resume is a season's worth of starts...or less.  Matt Cassel's one season at the helm of the Patriots made him a lot of money.  Osweiler's half a season in Denver got him $18 million or something like that.  Matt Flynn's one game, Week 17 performance against the Lions made him a ton of money.  Minnesota was so willing to monkey around with Favre's maybe-maybe not-maybe-maybe not-maybe dance for a few years because there was nothing else out there.

24 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

As a Buffalo fan, I am astonished that you forgot about Jeff Tuel and the countless "Tuel Time" jokes that surrounded that.

See, I feel like Tyrod Taylor's nickname should be "Tool Time." Because of 1.) Tim Taylor = (ish) Tyrod Taylor and 2.) he's a multi-tool player. It feels so obvious to me, but I understand how it actually isn't.

24 minutes ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Just goes to show just how much NFL success is dependent on steady quarterback play.  There's a constant when it comes to seeing the usual suspects reach the playoffs in the NFL, and also why the best free agent QB this past offseason is Brock Osweiler.  You find what you feel is "your answer" at QB, and you lock him up, even if he's, at best, average.  Tyrod Taylor is now a $100 million QB because the Bills hope he's that answer to get out of the spin-cycle they've been in since Flutie left.  Teams are so desperate to find that answer at QB that they throw huge money at that position, even if the resume is a season's worth of starts...or less.  Matt Cassel's one season at the helm of the Patriots made him a lot of money.  Osweiler's half a season in Denver got him $18 million or something like that.  Matt Flynn's one game, Week 17 performance against the Lions made him a ton of money.  Minnesota was so willing to monkey around with Favre's maybe-maybe not-maybe-maybe not-maybe dance for a few years because there was nothing else out there.

Agree, except that numbers for multi-year contracts are pretty much meaningless in the NFL. There are a bunch of team options and other NFL contract trickery that keeps Tyrod Taylor from being a $92M player if the Bills don't think they're getting their money's worth. Ryan Fitzpatrick signed a huge extension mid-season with with this same team, and then he was released one year into a six-year deal without much impact on the salary cap IIRC.

2 hours ago, DG_Now said:

- Doug Flutie

- Rob Johnson

- Drew Bledsoe

- JP Losman

- Trent Edwards

- Kelly Holcomb

- Harvard Kid

- EJ Manuel

- Kyle Orton

- Tyrod Taylor

Out of the bunch Flutie was the one I liked the best. I was really pulling for him during the 99 season.  Music city miracle happened. Was flutie in that game? I don't remember. 

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Archived