NFL 2016: The Regular Season Thread

buzzcut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should Houston dump Brock after this season, how would it rank among biggest FA QB disaster signings all time?

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

http://deadspin.com/texans-tackle-derek-newton-tore-both-his-patellar-tendo-1788171975?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

A Texans lineman tore both of his patellar tendons on the same play. This is awful. I don't know how much longer I can continue watching guys maim themselves as part of entertainment. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

I still have no fxcking idea how Houston is 4-3. No idea.

They play in a division consisting of them, Indianapolis, Tennessee, and Jacksonville.

They are the one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

9 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I don't know how much longer I can continue watching guys maim themselves as part of entertainment. 

This. My interest in the NFL is lower than it was 3-4 years ago. Now don't get me wrong, I'm still a massive football fan, but with a combination of new sports to follow (2 new leagues I've gotten into since 2011), the revelation that a lot of football players are not just jerks, they're violent jerks, and the overall violence of football, my interest has waned. The NFL is certainly not invincible anymore and if it's not careful could see the NBA much closer in its rear view mirror than they would like. 

spacer.png

8 hours ago, rams80 said:

They play in a division consisting of them, Indianapolis, Tennessee, and Jacksonville.

They are the one-eyed man in the land of the blind.

This. the AFC South has kind of been a division of inconsistency one minute it looks like the Texans are taking it than they play like crap than the Colts take it than they play like crap the only constant is that the Titans or Jaguars are in either 3rd or 4th place

18 hours ago, CS85 said:

Should Houston dump Brock after this season, how would it rank among biggest FA QB disaster signings all time?

Allow me to put a little perspective into the conversation:

1. Although he's been in the league for a handful of years, he's just now started a season's worth of games.  He's basically a rookie on the field.

2. It's not like the Texans had a bevy of QB options this past offseason.  Every team in the NFL that believes they've found their answer at the QB spot has them locked up for years.  Buffalo made Tyrod Taylor a $100 million man because they feel he's their answer.  You just simply aren't going to find outstanding QB's in free agency.  You either find them in the Draft (by my count, 24 of the teams start a QB they drafted, assuming they aren't hurt) or you hope a trade works out.  The best option in free agency this past offseason was Osweiler....otherwise, their options were some combination of Yates/Mallett/Hoyer/Schaub, hoping someone like Fitzpatrick or Bradford might become available during training camp, or draft someone like Paxton Lynch at their spot in the draft.  The Texans feel they're in "win now" territory, so they chose the best option in free agency.  They didn't want to mortgage their future by giving away draft picks, so they went the route they took.  It's not a bad deal in terms of tenure or money. 

They had to make this move.  Calling something disastrous implies they had a better option.  What better option could they have at QB?

Well, the Broncos are starting a second year, former seventh round pick who prior to this season had taken only one NFL snap (a kneel down) and was a mostly-bad college QB and they seem to be much better off at the QB position than Houston, so something tells me Houston had better options than to dump $72 million who's "basically a rookie on the field."

It certainly looks like it was an awful move.  Stop trying to sugarcoat it.

IUe6Hvh.png

9 hours ago, rickyISking said:

I bet Osweiler would be thriving in Denver right now. Let's not forget that check-down Trevor has two pro bowl receivers to throw to, while Brock maybe has DeAndre Hopkins.

So yeah, it was a dumb move to leave. 

Maybe, do we know what they were offering Brock to stay? If it was significantly less I would have done the same thing to. Your time in the league is limited so might as well try to make as much money as you can now, also no state taxes in Texas means he is getting the majority of that 35 million guaranteed he's got. 

19 minutes ago, dont care said:

Maybe, do we know what they were offering Brock to stay? If it was significantly less I would have done the same thing to. Your time in the league is limited so might as well try to make as much money as you can now, also no state taxes in Texas means he is getting the majority of that 35 million guaranteed he's got. 

Unless he bought a house there....

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

16 hours ago, See Red said:

Well, the Broncos are starting a second year, former seventh round pick who prior to this season had taken only one NFL snap (a kneel down) and was a mostly-bad college QB and they seem to be much better off at the QB position than Houston, so something tells me Houston had better options than to dump $72 million who's "basically a rookie on the field."

It certainly looks like it was an awful move.  Stop trying to sugarcoat it.

So tell me what these other options were this past offseason.

Osweiler has his flaws and could work on things.  But, keep in mind:

-Again, had only started 8-ish games and played mop-up in a few others before this season. Not exactly full of on-field experience.

-New team, new system, new verbiage. Siemian, for what he's worth, is playing in the same system he's learned since his rookie year.

-Only 7 games into his Texans tenure.  Not many QB's in NFL history have a winning record after 7 games in their first season at the helm.

-His three losses have come against some really tough defenses: at New England (on a short week, no less), at Minnesota, at Denver

Siemian is a second-year player.  That's not much better or a lot more time to learn the offense, especially when last year he was the "OH :censored: WE STILL NEED SOMEBODY TO HAND OFF TO THE RBS FOR THE REST OF THE GAME" QB.

Today, we are all otaku.

This is a legitimate question, and not a snarky rhetorical one: do we see a lot of QBs suddenly get a lot better four years out of college? I kinda think Osweiler is what he is.

26 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

This is a legitimate question, and not a snarky rhetorical one: do we see a lot of QBs suddenly get a lot better four years out of college? I kinda think Osweiler is what he is.

I don't think Osweiler will be anything better than middle-of-the-pack.  Serviceable, game manager, that kind of QB.

No matter if it's keeping your own or acquiring via trade or free agency, you're going to have to ante up for a QB.  That's just the way the economics of the NFL are today.  I mentioned Tyrod Taylor earlier....he's got, I believe, a losing record for his career and has never taken his team to the playoffs, yet the Bills made him a $100 million QB.  You think you have your answer, you lock him up or you risk tumbling around in NFL mediocrity (or worse) for a decade. Agents know teams are deathly afraid of becoming a long-term pee-on, so the agents and QB's have so much leverage than the teams do.  You just aren't going to find a QB in free agency that doesn't have some red flags about him.  Carson Palmer had concussion issues and uncertainty if he'd retire at some point.  Drew Brees had injury concerns when he left San Diego...remember, he failed Miami's physical exam before he signed with the Saints.  Alex Smith was thought to be troubled-in-the-head goods.  Favre had age/retirement concerns.  The Bears thought it was the safer play to stick with Cutler instead of going a different direction.  Even Peyton Manning had health concerns with his neck when he signed with the Broncos.

The Texans didn't have the most appetizing of options for QB this past offseason.  They could have kept what they had....Yates/Hoyer/Mallett.  They didn't want to sink their future by giving up a lot of picks to move up in the draft for Wentz/Goff.  They didn't want to trade whatever to acquire a Bradford or a Fitzpatrick.  They must not have liked whatever other QB prospects that were in this draft class.  So, their lone option was free agency.  And they signed the best-available QB out there, that's still young enough that he could become something.

Archived