Buffalo

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/23/2017 at 6:46 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

2578218081_8821a45ca7_b.jpg

2578217825_0ea40faba8_b.jpg

Thought I'd reiterate this on what Durene really is:

Durene merely refers to the chemical treatment of the fabric; they could be made from cotton or cotton/synthetic fabric- the normal stuff used as far as jerseys made from nylon are a mesh fabric.

UBwef0L.png

The Dolphins as "luxury brand" has never worked for me because I think of tickets to any NFL team's games outside Oakland as a luxury good, so why gild the lily? Football's football; you can have valet parking and gourmet food for people but they're still all there to watch fat guys crash headfirst into each other. (The Bears are bad about this, too, they're big-time sponsored by Cadillac and headquarter up in Lake Forest as if the McCaskeys will be mistaken for old money instead of combining the worst of inheritance and the nouveau-riche.) so I appreciated the kitschier Old Miami elements of the Dolphins' brand because they're the only heritage pro team in town and it's nice to be reminded now and then that not everything in Miami was built yesterday.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

so I appreciated the kitschier Old Miami elements of the Dolphins' brand because they're the only heritage pro team in town and it's nice to be reminded now and then that not everything in Miami was built yesterday.

Same. I dig how the old Dolphins logo looked like it would fit in alongside old timey Florida roadside attractions. 

And retro's in now. So "old and kitschy" isn't even the antithesis of "luxury" anymore anyway. 

45 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

The helmet stripes never bothered me too much but I would rather they go all the way around. Also never liked the cartoonish flames coming off the rounded T on their helmet. Get rid of those and class it up a bit. It's not the 90's anymore

As time goes on, I think it's the logo that bothers me most.  Does the flame mean anything or is it just gratuitous?  

I agree on the helmet strip, too.  It feels modern for the sake of being modern.  

I really like the colors...the traditional pants look great With that scheme.  I can even deal with the yoke...hated at first but now I think it's as good as any other post-sleeve innovation.

Block numbers would look great (though I almost always think that).

I think a couple of helmet adjustments would make this a solid set overall.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Dolphins as "luxury brand" has never worked for me because I think of tickets to any NFL team's games outside Oakland as a luxury good, so why gild the lily? Football's football; you can have valet parking and gourmet food for people but they're still all there to watch fat guys crash headfirst into each other. (The Bears are bad about this, too, they're big-time sponsored by Cadillac and headquarter up in Lake Forest as if the McCaskeys will be mistaken for old money instead of combining the worst of inheritance and the nouveau-riche.) so I appreciated the kitschier Old Miami elements of the Dolphins' brand because they're the only heritage pro team in town and it's nice to be reminded now and then that not everything in Miami was built yesterday.

if that were true, they should have saved $500M and left the stadium as it was. turns out, people care about stadium quality and experience. people are more likely to come to a game and watch a mediocre team without a true superstar play football now. that is one way of how build something that is bigger than the team's record. oh, and if you get a chance to come to a game in Miami, i recommend the 72 Club seats and grabbing a cubano at Cafe' Versailles :) 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

if that were true, they should have saved $500M and left the stadium as it was. turns out, people care about stadium quality and experience. people are more likely to come to a game and watch a mediocre team without a true superstar play football now. that is one way of how build something that is bigger than the team's record. oh, and if you get a chance to come to a game in Miami, i recommend the 72 Club seats and grabbing a cubano at Cafe' Versailles :) 

I don't dispute any of that. I guess what I don't see is why any of that means they can't use the throwback logo full time. 

2 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

if that were true, they should have saved $500M and left the stadium as it was. turns out, people care about stadium quality and experience. people are more likely to come to a game and watch a mediocre team without a true superstar play football now.

I'm not saying you can't make it pleasant to go a football game -- if anything, more teams need to do that so that there's a reason not to stay home -- but my point is that it's not the symphony or a cruise or three Michelin stars: it's still ultinately football, so look like a football team, especially one with the history of the Dolphins. Do all that stuff you talked about but keep respecting the brand equity.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

57 minutes ago, Chico said:

Unfortunately the new template did not prevent the Jets green from looking washed out just as it did on the old template.

Screenshot_20170612-105138.png

They gotta use a lighter shade. Not kelly green but something in between. 

XM4KeeA.png

On 6/11/2017 at 4:08 PM, the admiral said:

I'm not saying you can't make it pleasant to go a football game -- if anything, more teams need to do that so that there's a reason not to stay home -- but my point is that it's not the symphony or a cruise or three Michelin stars: it's still ultinately football, so look like a football team, especially one with the history of the Dolphins. Do all that stuff you talked about but keep respecting the brand equity.

Yeah, this whole "we're a luxury brand!" thing seems so wrong-headed and silly. 

I'm reminded of Paul Brown's adage about bad teams not wearing bad uniforms, and would suggest a corollary - football teams that can't football well shouldn't pretend they're somehow more than that. 

Good teams can become a lifestyle brand. The Yankees come to mind, as do the Lakers.  The Raiders were in the Super Bowl when they became iconic.  The Packers are synonymous with an entire region of the country in a way that the Vikings just can't be. 

The Yankees can have a partnership with Johnnie Walker Black, and sell Scotch in pinstriped boxes. 

IMG_3053.JPG.b5f4a22df26b9b899385c7bcbb2fe65c.JPG

It would be pretty foolish if the Mets or most other teams tried this.  But it works for the Yankees because they're the Yankees; they are a lifestyle brand. 

I've never subscribed to the philosophy that teams can't do more than one thing at a time. But in this case, being good at football is a prerequisite to what the Dolphins are trying to accomplish.  It has to come first, or else this new "luxury brand" will be little more than a shiny new wrapper around a lousy product.  And that doesn't last. 

4 hours ago, Chico said:

Unfortunately the new template did not prevent the Jets green from looking washed out just as it did on the old template.

I'm beginning to think that its the jets that want this color and not Nike. Nike has shown they can produce forest green in college with Michigan state an Oregon and a few others. the only reason I can see why the jets look this way is because they want to. I believe the blame lies with them.

4 hours ago, Chico said:

Wow that looks horrible. It almost looks Brown or Grey. They used to look so much better with the older material from the early 2000s

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

I'm beginning to think that its the jets that want this color and not Nike. Nike has shown they can produce forest green in college with Michigan state an Oregon and a few others. the only reason I can see why the jets look this way is because they want to. I believe the blame lies with them.

I absolutely agree. Jets management is completely incompetent in all areas and so it wouldn't surprise me if the color is their choosing and not Nike's.

IMG_0005.jpg.3ad6b608a1b222bebe66f6457a16c9bc.jpg

Archived