New high school logo

BigB859

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from the Lexington area, so I've heard the chatter.  There's more to this than the fact that the name is gender specific.  A stallion is, of course, a non-castrated male horse whose purpose in life is to breed.  But it also refers in slang to a male human with, shall we say, sexual prowess.  I don't blame any high school girl if she doesn't want to wear a jersey with a term that has either of those definitions or connotations associated with it.  Some of the people who wanted it changed have cited that as the reason, not just that the term referred to a male animal.

Yes, the term "Stallions" has been used for decades.  I think there are actually a couple elementary schools in the area that use it.  In some cases, where there are decades of tradition or whatever, there's more room to be sympathetic to those who don't want to see the name go by the wayside. And, I agree the political correctness has gone too far in the world in recent years, but there's also the thing of just simply being respectful of the feelings of others. In this case, we're talking about a name that had been in existence for about 24 hours. Why christen a brand new high school and it's sports programs with controversy right out of the gate? (horse racing pun not intended)

As for the male-centric names that have been around for decades, like I said, there are many (most?) cases where changing it will cause all sorts of unrest.  But it has always "intrigued" me (for lack of a better term) that the female teams have to be referred to as "Lady ____".  Even when it's not combined with a male-centric name, which makes no sense, why does the "Lady" have to be in front of the female names but "Gentlemen" is not used in front of the male team names?

I personally don't think it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't care if they changed it to something like "Mustangs".

To be completely honest, I'd much prefer a more unique name than the typical generic ones that are so accustomed to high schools. But hey, it is a high school after all. ;)

21 minutes ago, Jungle Jim said:

I'm from the Lexington area, so I've heard the chatter.  There's more to this than the fact that the name is gender specific.  A stallion is, of course, a non-castrated male horse whose purpose in life is to breed.  But it also refers in slang to a male human with, shall we say, sexual prowess.  I don't blame any high school girl if she doesn't want to wear a jersey with a term that has either of those definitions or connotations associated with it.  Some of the people who wanted it changed have cited that as the reason, not just that the term referred to a male animal.

Yes, the term "Stallions" has been used for decades.  I think there are actually a couple elementary schools in the area that use it.  In some cases, where there are decades of tradition or whatever, there's more room to be sympathetic to those who don't want to see the name go by the wayside. And, I agree the political correctness has gone too far in the world in recent years, but there's also the thing of just simply being respectful of the feelings of others. In this case, we're talking about a name that had been in existence for about 24 hours. Why christen a brand new high school and it's sports programs with controversy right out of the gate? (horse racing pun not intended)

As for the male-centric names that have been around for decades, like I said, there are many (most?) cases where changing it will cause all sorts of unrest.  But it has always "intrigued" me (for lack of a better term) that the female teams have to be referred to as "Lady ____".  Even when it's not combined with a male-centric name, which makes no sense, why does the "Lady" have to be in front of the female names but "Gentlemen" is not used in front of the male team names?

This is a great take. Learn from this man. 

1 hour ago, panthers_2012 said:

Or call them the "Lady Stallions". They're probably mad because they're not called this and are just called the "Stallions".

You want to call them the Lady non-castrated male horses?  Because that makes sense.

Putting "lady" in front if anything has always bothered me.. I absolutely hate it, because it's like the female teams feel the need to separate and distinguish themselves from all the other [insert nickname/mascot here]s on campus..  but I have always liked when the nickname can be appropriately adjusted for gender (i.e. Cowboys & Cowgirls).. 

They should change the name to something non-gender specific.  Or, they could even take it one step further and do what the University Of Alberta does.  The men's teams are all known as the Golden Bears, while the women's teams are the Pandas with their own logo.  The colours are still the same green and yellow.

39 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Putting "lady" in front if anything has always bothered me.. I absolutely hate it, because it's like the female teams feel the need to separate and distinguish themselves from all the other [insert nickname/mascot here]s on campus..  but I have always liked when the nickname can be appropriately adjusted for gender (i.e. Cowboys & Cowgirls).. 

University of Washington is known as the Husky Women. That's always made me giggle.

10 hours ago, Waffles said:

What's so crazy about adopting a name and identity that gives female athletes an equal sense of belonging and representation with their school and community to their male counterparts?

Design-wise, I've always been a fan of Hofstra's elegant solution to the issue of equal gender representation in academic sports logos:

2275.png

Sorry...I thought this was one of the dumbest name changes ever.  There was nothing wrong with the previous name..

12 hours ago, Waffles said:

What's so crazy about adopting a name and identity that gives female athletes an equal sense of belonging and representation with their school and community to their male counterparts?

Design-wise, I've always been a fan of Hofstra's elegant solution to the issue of equal gender representation in academic sports logos:

2275.png

One man's "elegant" is another man's "heavy-handed and pandering."

I would like to light-heartedly brand this logo the "Hofstra Hermaphrodite" before this thread gets shut down.

12 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Seriously? Everything?

Sunsets?  Pizza?  Music? Puppies?  Sleeping late? Spring? Blue skies? Peel and Eat shrimp? Equal pay for equal work?  

Holy cow, if that's your world, you must be one miserable SOB.  Luckily, I'm OK with really minor things like, I dunno, what a High School chooses for it's mascot.  That way "modern feminists" don't have to ruin everything for me.

Women get payed the same amount of money for the same amount of work, you're perpetuating a myth. If you wan't to ignore that modern intersectional feminism tells everyone (who isn't a white male) that they are a constant victim of racism and sexism, regardless of statistics that prove other wise, be my guest. We live in a society of moral busy bodies who are professional offence takers. Are we to believe that girls would be hurt to play as a Stallion?

12 hours ago, Gothamite said:

No idea.

This kind of identity is disappointing.  It's one thing to have a holdover from an earlier day, but to start with a blank page of paper, the whole world of options open, and end up with this?  Shows just why those "modern feminists" are so desperately needed.

Why is the name Stallion's disappointing? Are traditionally male names of animals completely taboo for new teams from now on? Who's hurt by the name? How are they hurt? Or is it just easier to assume that girls need a separate and special name and would be damaged to play on a team named after a male horse?

12 hours ago, WavePunter said:

i guess what is annoying to some is just the fact that it almost seems like some of these people go out of their way to find something to be offended about.. specifically pointing out that the term "stallion" is gender-specific, then connecting that to the fact that female sports teams would be represented by a male mascot/nickname, just seems like an extra step or two of deliberate thought for the purposes of finding a reason to be offended.. and don't get me wrong, this is a fresh start and as Goth pointed out, probably wouldn't be a big deal if it were a holdover from the past, and they could've avoided this, but it still just feels a bit like nitpicking.. shame on the school for not testing it before officially announcing it and having so much gear/apparel created.. that's Foley-esque for sure.. maybe they can be the Golden Knights as well.. oh wait, Knights were only male.. i guess that's off the table too

*Whispers* 

What's wrong with "going the extra step or two of deliberate thought...?"

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

Just now, WavePunter said:

Nothing, unless it's solely for the purposes of finding something to complain about

If I was to take those who want the name not to be Stallions at their word, which I don't see any reason not to, then I would come to the conclusion that "finding something to complain about" was not part of their consideration.

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

They were so offended at the thought of girls having to play with the word Stallion on a jersey they started a petition. "finding something to complain about" was a part of their consideration. The problem is people being conditioned to feel automatically justified to complain about almost anything that has a male slant, deriding people who don't agree, and applauding when institutions and groups feminize things. 

16 minutes ago, DeFrank said:

If I was to take those who want the name not to be Stallions at their word, which I don't see any reason not to, then I would come to the conclusion that "finding something to complain about" was not part of their consideration.

Opinion:

- Mediocre, rip-off identity. Nothing that special here.

Probably Controversial Opinion:

- Is it stupid to get offended at everything? Yes. Is it stupid to get offended at something like this? Maybe, maybe not. As someone said above me, a stallion is a male horse whose entire purpose is to breed. Putting myself in a female athlete's position, I wouldn't want to wear a jersey that had a shortened term for "Male horse with a big :censored:" on the front. I'm pretty sure most male athletes wouldn't want to wear a jersey with "Strippers" (Or a word with the animal equivalent of that) on the front of their jersey because it's a little demeaning. Plus, it's not that hard to come up with another nickname for the team that lets them keep the identity. Use mustangs, or broncos, or something else. It's not a challenge.

While "modern" feminism has gotten angry at a lot of stupid things, this one at least has a little reasoning besides it. Plus, there's a lot of things modern feminism is pushing for that are legitimately good things. Not all SJWs are campaigning to add gendervoid-foxkin-demiqueer bathrooms to every building, but most of them are pushing for actual equality.

Also, I bet this thread gets muted/deleted within the next 5 posts.

The school caved and will change the name I just read. The term Stallion has a broader meaning than breeding horse, both Bronco and Mustang are synonyms for Stallion. I can see what you're getting at, but this is an issue because the type of horse being represented is male. I contend this name wouldn't change if it was a female horse. I see this as a symptom of a bigger issue, a taboo of things with a male slant. Going forward, does every mascot have to be gender neutral (non-male) because people will be offended? 

22 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Opinion:

- Mediocre, rip-off identity. Nothing that special here.

Probably Controversial Opinion:

- Is it stupid to get offended at everything? Yes. Is it stupid to get offended at something like this? Maybe, maybe not. As someone said above me, a stallion is a male horse whose entire purpose is to breed. Putting myself in a female athlete's position, I wouldn't want to wear a jersey that had a shortened term for "Male horse with a big :censored:" on the front. I'm pretty sure most male athletes wouldn't want to wear a jersey with "Strippers" (Or a word with the animal equivalent of that) on the front of their jersey because it's a little demeaning. Plus, it's not that hard to come up with another nickname for the team that lets them keep the identity. Use mustangs, or broncos, or something else. It's not a challenge.

While "modern" feminism has gotten angry at a lot of stupid things, this one at least has a little reasoning besides it. Plus, there's a lot of things modern feminism is pushing for that are legitimately good things. Not all SJWs are campaigning to add gendervoid-foxkin-demiqueer bathrooms to every building, but most of them are pushing for actual equality.

Also, I bet this thread gets muted/deleted within the next 5 posts.

Archived