XFL 2020 Season

ozzyman314

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

Yes, a collective concern about potential damage to the field is what I have read as being the main reason why many D.C. United fans have opposed the sharing of Audi Field with the Defenders.  It seems to me, then, that painting the XFL's particular current slogan on the field for Defenders games would be a proverbial pouring of gasoline onto the fire.

Toronto FC fans went ballistic over the Argos moving in to BMO field. How about those soccer teams pay for their own stadium in full, no government handouts, then you can do what you want with it.

I saw, I came, I left.

26 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

5 minutes in, ESPN's presentation is pretty good! None of the bombast of XFL 2000 (which they explicitly said they were definitely moving away from), and a whole lot more professionalism. ESPN is treating this as a real thing.

Football quality 2 minutes in? Ummm....

EDIT: Hearing the coach call plays in real time, and then seeing those relayed by the QB, is pretty cool! I totally expect to see this carried into NCAA or NFL football broadcasts in the future.

Just turned it on.  It's on ABC, not ESPN here.  So far, looks great!  It looks pretty professional, and the quality of play seems about what should be expected.  Cardell Jones looks good.

DC uniforms look pretty good - especially when worn with white socks.  Funny that the offensive players are Defenders.

Haven't seen/heard the coach play calls - was that just for one drive or something?

2 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

The kickoff is interesting to look at. So far it's better than the debut of the AAF.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

Just turned it on.  It's on ABC, not ESPN here.  So far, looks great!  It looks pretty professional, and the quality of play seems about what should be expected.  Cardell Jones looks good.

DC uniforms look pretty good - especially when worn with white socks.  Funny that the offensive players are Defenders.

Haven't seen/heard the coach play calls - was that just for one drive or something?

They'll probably do it a couple times a game. They're embracing the idea of interviewing players after big plays as well since they don't have to wait until halftime. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Not one drive.  Zorn has done that and Pep Hamilton as done that.

I don't see the NFL adopting the "sideline reporters interviewing coaches and players during the game" as the XFL has because I just can't picture Tracy Wolfson or Michelle Tafoya trying to interview Belichick on the sidelines after a Patriots drive.  

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Should have clarified; it's ABC here too, but ESPN is providing the graphics and coverage.

I hope they do more of the coach play calling; it's really great.

Speaking of after-play interviewers, a woman sideline reporter asked a player if he was ready to go back in and he said "Yes sir! ... I mean, ma'am..ma'am!"

There's a real collegiate atmosphere to the game. The low ticket prices probably help a lot.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Listening to coaches call plays is something I could see the NCAA adopting instead of the NFL, because I can see a few NFL coaches being reluctant to something like that.  But if the NFL were to adopt said rule, who would we listen too?  Example, if the rule is adopted and you have a game between Seattle and Green Bay, obviously, we'd listen to Matt LaFleur for Green Bay, but what about Seattle.  Would we listen in to Pete Carroll or his OC Brian Schottenheimer?

I know there's a little bit of a delay between live action and TV, but couldn't someone on the opposing team just listen to the play call and signal it down somehow?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I know there's a little bit of a delay between live action and TV, but couldn't someone on the opposing team just listen to the play call and signal it down somehow?

*bangs trash can*

I saw, I came, I left.

3 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I bet Tony Romo would enjoy listening to coaches call plays.

It will be interesting to see who we listen to for the LA Wildcats...Head Coach Winston Moss or his OC Norm Chow.

I could see the offensive oriented head coaches being in support of something like this, especially the younger ones like McVay, LaFleur, Shanahan and Kingsbury.  Not sure if there would be any support from the head coaches with defensive backgrounds, although I could see Pete Carroll supporting this.  

(Very) early observations as I looked up at a TV with no audio:

1- Big XII Reggie working the first game as Referee!

2- Jim Zorn.  Get a comb, or a hat.

3- Just like the AAF, so much for the offense.

4- Ricky Prohel's kid is on Seattle?  I don't know any other football playin' Prohels.

Back to the Blackjack table.

If XFL games get boring, it's not a good sign for the league.  Sure, both the NFL and CFL have had their fair share of boring and bad games, but decades for both leagues (100 in case of the NFL) gives many football fans a pass due to that longevity and if both leagues have one week of bad football, we know that both leagues are capable to have some fun and exciting games the next week.  

Archived