College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 7/31/2022 at 5:07 PM, monkeypower said:

In USPORTS changes, Ryerson University in Toronto officially changed their name this past April to Toronto Metropolitan University following five or six years of discussions and last year's discoveries of residential school mass graves in Canada because of the Egerton Ryerson's, the school's namesake, involvement with the introduction of the residential school system. As part of the changes, they are changing the name of the sports teams and the mascot. They were the Rams and the mascot was a ram named Eggy, taken from Egerton.

They narrowed it down to three names and six mascots and allowed for community feedback up until like two weeks ago when they closed the response form.  The three names are 

• Bold
  • Meteors
  • Towers

The six mascots are

• Bee
  • Caribou
  • Meteor
  • Moose
  • Squirrel
  • Tower

Here's the website where you can read the reasoning behind all the choices.

Well they ended up going with the worst possible option and are now the TMU Bold. They also went off the board and will be using a falcon as a mascot. The mascot design & uniforms will be released at a later date.

I'm still not quite sure why they felt the need to change their athletic identity. It seems a bit like throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and is just going to remove the one connection alumni have to the school. They could've easily just given the ram mascot a new name and kept living life as the TMU Rams.

As for the new handle, Bold might be the worst sports nickname I've ever heard. I can't even think of what you could use as a logo other than a letter or wordmark. Maybe they'll include a falcon somewhere, but Ontario already has a few other bird mascot schools. As most people have been joking about online, it sounds like the name of a font, not a team.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

As for the new handle, Bold might be the worst sports nickname I've ever heard. I can't even think of what you could use as a logo other than a letter or wordmark. Maybe they'll include a falcon somewhere, but Ontario already has a few other bird mascot schools. As most people have been joking about online, it sounds like the name of a font, not a team.

Even worse, "Toronto Metropolitan University" sounds like it's in a Mississauga office park.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Toronto Metropolitan University: Bold Like Us :D   Yeah, they may as well have kept Rams.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 5 weeks later...

Probably a loose fit but a new "updated" mascot may be on the way for Nebraska. Would imagine it might encompass some new logos as well. As someone who think we live in the past a bit too much... eh I'll wait to see what it looks like. I do know there is a strong fondness for the old Herbie here.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

On 9/28/2022 at 1:44 PM, SSmith48 said:

Probably a loose fit but a new "updated" mascot may be on the way for Nebraska. Would imagine it might encompass some new logos as well. As someone who think we live in the past a bit too much... eh I'll wait to see what it looks like. I do know there is a strong fondness for the old Herbie here.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/rYX4Mh7" data-context="false" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/rYX4Mh7"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

On 10/1/2022 at 8:58 AM, Ringneck75 said:

Pretty strong indications that Kansas will finally be moving away from trajan in '23. They started using this font in a lot of their social media last year and it's even being used on official signage now. 

spacer.png

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I love Trajan for them... It'll be a sad day if they move away from that to this relatively generic-looking athletic font.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

1 hour ago, stumpygremlin said:

No Way Smh GIF by Amazon Prime Video

I love Trajan for them... It'll be a sad day if they move away from that to this relatively generic-looking athletic font.

As a KU alum I gotta say I'm not a fan either. I can see that font used on their newly released basketball schedule PDF from their website. It's a font called Jawbreak Sans. I hope this isn't going to be the official font moving forward. The "K" especially looks odd to me.

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

New "spirit mark" for South Carolina, which is particularly relevant to me since my daughter is a freshman there.

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/education/university-of-south-carolina-reclaims-usc-name/101-82734c68-bf02-471f-bfe9-ffab08b87ec7

COLUMBIA, S.C. — When the University of South Carolina decided to adopt the UofSC logo in 2019, people were a little confused. After all, USC had always been USC -- no matter what that other school on the West Coast says.

Well, now, the University of South Carolina announced it is returning to calling itself USC, officially retiring the UofSC branding as of January 4, 2023.

“The actions announced today reflect our commitment to enhancing our iconic brand,” USC President Michael Amiridis said. “In my short time back at the university, alumni and other stakeholders have told me how important it is to return the USC name back to the institution. We are initiating that change today.”

In addition to the name reclamation, the university is updating its brand standards to include these guidelines:

• The iconic tree-and-gates will be retained as the official academic logo. It becomes the official mark for academic branding.
  • The university will introduce a new block-letter USC spirit mark that embraces the university’s unrivaled spirit and includes 1801, the year of its founding. The spirit mark will provide versatility in promoting the university in non-academic settings.
  • The university will be referred to as the University of South Carolina, USC, South Carolina or Carolina in editorial and marketing materials.
  • Athletics logos, including the “Block C” logo, are not impacted.

The "spirit logo" is on the bottom left and on the swag.

spacer.png

The retired UofSC logo is below.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

So for the heck of it I recently googled Houston Baptist, and turns out they changed their name to Houston Christian University last month.  Odd time for a name change.  For now, I guess they're using their existing husky logo but without the text.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

14 hours ago, Discrim said:

So for the heck of it I recently googled Houston Baptist, and turns out they changed their name to Houston Christian University last month.  Odd time for a name change.  For now, I guess they're using their existing husky logo but without the text.

Yeah, they wanted to make it clear that you didn't necessarily have to be Baptist to enroll there. They do still employ William Lane Craig though.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

3 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Yeah, they wanted to make it clear that you didn't necessarily have to be Baptist to enroll there. They do still employ William Lane Craig though.

You don't have to baptist to enroll, you just have to at like a practicing baptist to attend

"Since we are unashamedly a Christian university, all students—regardless of religious background—engage the Bible and core Christian beliefs, and all students are expected to abide by university guidelines, including attendance at spiritual life events and regular chapel services."

Maybe they just wanted to reserve the "Houston Christian" and "HCU" name in case the Disciples of Christ were thinking of starting a school in Houston with a purple, black and white color scheme (like TCU first, then ACU and GCU after)

bYhYmxh.png

Going by the tweet above (by CCSLC contributor College Sports Logos), Gadsden State, a community college close to where I reside, was the last school to still use the Arizona Cardinals logo for its athletics. This is no longer the case as of last Friday (Oct. 28th). All the new logos are below.

• Like 13
sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

• 1 month later...