AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

2 hours ago, QCS said:

s-l640.jpg

With the exception of the crest, this is the best jersey the Senators will ever wear.

Have that 2D logo from the previous set and it would be a solid 'A' grade jersey. 

• Like 2

I saw, I came, I left.

The old Winterhawks identity never sat right with me. I didn't like that they used a rudimentary version of the Indian Head, just as I don't like it when the actual Blackhawks use another rudimentary version of the Indian Head. I thought that that sort of hand-me-down approach to minor-league hockey teams, like how there used to be 30some teams across the continent that were just the Boston Bruins, should have been gone for good by the mid-1990s. 

So while I'm glad to see the poor man's Indian Head go, I can't get too excited about this. It's just a bird head. There are lots of bird heads. Despite the claims that it has REFERNCES that make it inimitably Portland, at first glance it could be for any bird team anywhere. Don't the Tri-Cities Americans on the other side of Washington also use a bird head? I've spoken out against minor-league whimsy in the past, but I think Portland could have gotten away with it. I'm envisioning kind of a Skating Penguin 1.0 concept here: a hawk wearing a scarf and a stocking cap because it's winter.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, nash61 said:

This would be a good starting place, for Abbotsford or Vancouver

zhk34nas0rdz.jpg.bb898a1122923007454926f

9 hours ago, kiwi_canadian said:

Here is the jersey:

TeamJersey_590x.png?v=1626280696

Oh hey...

On the topic of Portland, which do you guys like better, the previous alternate hawk, or the new one?

Im7hLoG.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I'm a fan of the new Winterhawks logo, but I don't like the metallic gold in the beak. Should have been flat.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Don't the Tri-Cities Americans on the other side of Washington also use a bird head?

Yes, Tri-City (non-plural) does. It came in as the primary in 2003 and was relegated to secondary in 2008.

mqxfrvke0bhwgghgoxepcahbj.gif

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, nash61 said:

On the topic of Portland, which do you guys like better, the previous alternate hawk, or the new one?

Im7hLoG.png

I prefer the new one definitely. I like how it incorporates Mount Hood into the design along with a cleverly-hidden WH, and I like the more defined beak on the new hawk in comparison to the previous alternate. The old one kinda looked like a hawk-shaped blob more than anything, and the new logo fixes that.

About the only thing I'd change is making the beak solid gold instead of a gradient, but it's a solid logo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, QCS said:

s-l640.jpg

With the exception of the crest, this is the best jersey the Senators will ever wear.

15 hours ago, DTConcepts said:

Not even. Throw the effectively unused alternate logo on there and it's one of the best jerseys in league history.

x8dxgo0eh0zensmq7icp.png

I have not heard anyone in the fanbase pushing for either of these things. Prior to the recent rebrand, most people were adamantly against the updated 2D logo, and the black laurel striped jerseys are probably the 2nd least popular ones that the team has ever worn (after the SENS alternate).

Vegas already uses metallic gold striping with a sublimated floral pattern. Leave it to them.

16 hours ago, nash61 said:

Oh hey...

Im7hLoG.png

While I like the mountains in the new one, the older alt hawk is more aggressive and I like the use of the feather pattern in that one better.  Both are pretty nice. 

4 hours ago, WideRight said:

While I like the mountains in the new one, the older alt hawk is more aggressive and I like the use of the feather pattern in that one better.  Both are pretty nice. 

Eh, aggressivity is such an overrated factor in sports logo design. You look at pretty much all of the most iconic sports logos and you don't really see very many with a focus on it; the Leafs, Bruins, Habs, Rangers, Wings, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Warriors, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, Giants, Packers...all utterly iconic sports logos, none feature aggressive elements.

I never liked how the old hawk lacked a lower beak; made it feel incomplete. Plus, the new logo incorporating Mt. Hood into the design is a nice bit of local tie in comparison to it just being another "angry bird head" logo.

16 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Eh, aggressivity is such an overrated factor in sports logo design. You look at pretty much all of the most iconic sports logos and you don't really see very many with a focus on it; the Leafs, Bruins, Habs, Rangers, Wings, Red Sox, Yankees, Dodgers, Warriors, Lakers, Celtics, Patriots, Giants, Packers...all utterly iconic sports logos, none feature aggressive elements.

I never liked how the old hawk lacked a lower beak; made it feel incomplete. Plus, the new logo incorporating Mt. Hood into the design is a nice bit of local tie in comparison to it just being another "angry bird head" logo.

Funny you should mention that, because when a hawk is resting, it’s beak is closed and you don’t see the lower one:

2018-Hawk-Red-Tailed-Nicodemus-by-Heidi-

It’s only when a hawk is acting aggressive that it opens its mouth enough to the point where you can see the lower beak. 

red-tailed_hawk-screaming-3438.jpg?m=144

• Like 3