AHL/ECHL/Minor/Junior League Hockey Changes

Dante_X

16 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

It’s fine, I guess.  But after the fridge and the skeleton, it’s a little obvious and more than a title underwhelming.

Eh, I like the fauxback element of it; plus, it does tie back to the franchise's original logos pretty well, since the whole skeleton motif didn't really come in until the mid-2000's. The fridge logo was fun, but sometimes it's nice to also just do a modernized take on a classic logo.

• Like 1

It's a fine jersey, but if I didn't know any better and saw it quickly, I'd think it was for the Rochester Americans.

• Like 1
On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

1 hour ago, GFB said:

[W]hen a hawk is resting, it’s beak is closed and you don’t see the lower one... It’s only when a hawk is acting aggressive that it opens its mouth enough to the point where you can see the lower beak. 

My problem with this logo...

spacer.png

... is the complete lack of detail on the entirety of the hawk's lower jaw. No mouth line... no lower mandible... no detail whatsoever. Minimalism taken to the extreme.

In the photo of the hawk at rest which you shared...

spacer.png

... one can still discern details such as the mouth line, the separation of the upper and lower mandibles, and the feather-covered rear portion of the lower mandible. They're all plainly visible here...

spacer.png

While the artist who designed the Winterhawks' alternate logo had every right to design a more minimalist mark, I feel the choice - and its execution - leave something to be desired aesthetically. It strikes me as a bit too stylized. There's something "robotic" about the hawk. Certainly attractive, but not what I'd choose for a team dubbed the Winterhawks.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

It’s fine, I guess.  But after the fridge and the skeleton, it’s a little obvious and more than a title underwhelming. 

spacer.png

So, an Admiral and Johnny Canuck compete in the fastest skater competition 

• Like 1

I saw, I came, I left.

56 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Underwhelming? It pays homage to the "skating Admiral" logos that the team sported in the 1970s and '80s. It marries a retro vibe reminiscent of said era - indeed, it wouldn't have been out of place in the 1950s or '60s - with a more polished, modern rendering style.  It strikes me as being the best logo a hockey team dubbed the Milwaukee Admirals has ever sported, hands down. If the Admirals adopted it as their regular logo, it would - to my mind - be the best primary mark in the AHL.

spacer.png

This is some outstanding craftsmanship on Dan Simon's part. I've long been a fan of his work and this is no exception.  Frankly, it's one of my favorite sports logos... period. I'd love to get my hands on a jersey!

• Like 8

5 hours ago, alecgoff said:

Here we go. Giving me a lot of Heritage Classic Winnipeg Jets vibes with that striping pattern

3rd-jersey-group-scaled-e1626392818510-1

136342576_10.jpg?w=1024&h=0&crop=1

Hem colours are inverted, but it's pretty close to this. Think they'll go the same helmet/pants route?

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

11 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

My problem with this logo...

spacer.png

... is the complete lack of detail on the entirety of the hawk's lower jaw. No mouth line... no lower mandible... no detail whatsoever. Minimalism taken to the extreme.

In the photo of the hawk at rest which you shared...

spacer.png

... one can still discern details such as the mouth line, the separation of the upper and lower mandibles, and the feather-covered rear portion of the lower mandible. They're all plainly visible here...

spacer.png

While the artist who designed the Winterhawks' alternate logo had every right to design a more minimalist mark, I feel the choice - and its execution - leave something to be desired aesthetically. It strikes me as a bit too stylized. There's something "robotic" about the hawk. Certainly attractive, but not what I'd choose for a team dubbed the Winterhawks.   

In my opinion, small anatomical details that you have to zoom in to see are precisely the ones you want to simplify, especially in an era where a logo’s use as a social media avatar is so critical to the team’s engagement with fans. I’m not sold on the scalability of the new one after seeing the Twitter avatar, as you lose most of the detail at that size.

In the old one, I read the black area under the beak as the lower beak itself (in shadow, obviously, which is why I’m not expecting to see more detail there). Honestly, I think the separation of the midtone and shadow acting as the mouth line is a little stroke of genius, giving dimension and drama to the form without adding a shred of unnecessary detail. I’m realizing the perspective of the old one—from slightly below—was one of my favorite features. You’re always looking up at a hawk, never at eye-level, and the subtlety of that made the previous one look very proud and regal to me. There’s also something really nice about the compact, ovular shape and the smooth, gestural flow from beak to feather. Is it flying overhead? Is it looking at Portland from the top of its perch on Mt. Hood? Could be either, and I really enjoyed that dynamism. I also think the four feathers and the northwest gaze in the old one are a better and clearer homage to the Chicago hand-me-down.

I can understand perceiving it as a robo-hawk, too. I don’t perceive it that way, but it wouldn’t bother me, either. I like the idea of “inventing” a unique Winterhawk since it’s not a term that’s tethered to a specific animal. The silver bird worked well enough to make the bird look snowy/icy, and I think it was a good choice knowing the logo had to work on red, white, and black backgrounds. It’s tough to make a primarily white logo look good on a white jersey (and also tough to avoid bald eagle comparisons).

Regardless, fans overwhelmingly love the new mark, and that’s ultimately what counts… even if I personally think they left something better on the table and am extremely disappointed they chose to commission a local apparel company who has a reputation for stealing art (including mine) to run the process.

This would have been baaad if he didn’t bring in Brian to save him. 😊

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Regardless, fans overwhelmingly love the new mark, and that’s ultimately what counts… even if I personally think they left something better on the table and am extremely disappointed they chose to commission a local apparel company who has a reputation for stealing art (including mine) to run the process.

Yes, but let's not forget that fans tend to like almost every new logo.  Even the Buffaslug was greeted with huge merchandise sales.

It's how well they age, once the initial rush wears off, that matters.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

a local apparel company who has a reputation for stealing art (including mine)

Do go on...

• Like 1

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.