North American Pro Soccer 2019

Gothamite

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Pharos04 said:

I would’ve thought the Rays have the most unbreakable lease.

No, the Fire's lease was tougher.   Not only did it require them to play there, it had a clause that if MLS was ever to introduce a second club to Chicago, that club would also be required to play in Bridgeview.

If the Fire can get out of their lease, literally anyone can.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Lockhart-Stadium-Approved-Fort-Lauderdale-Inter-Miami-CF-512506791.html

Fort Lauderdale city commissioners unanimously approved a proposal to transform the site of Lockhart Stadium into a new training facility and stadium for a Major League Soccer team partially owned by David Beckham.

It was approved Tuesday night, 5-0.

Inter Miami plans to invest up to $60 million to construct a new, state-of-the-art, 18,000-seat stadium with facilities that will also host the group's minor league teams as well as the first seasons for the MLS franchise.

The group is still trying to negotiate a stadium deal on a site near Miami International Airport to play its home games longterm.

I thought that $60 million figure seemed really low, so I had to make sure they were still trying to get a separate MLS stadium. I kind of have a feeling that this Ft. Lauderdale stadium will end up being their long-term home whether they like it or not. Though all of Florida might be underwater by then anyway in which case none of this will have mattered.

The first ever matches between the Canadian MLS teams and CPL teams are going down tonight in the Canadian Championship - Canada's equivalent of the US Open Cup. As well as Ottawa of the USL vs Halifax of the CPL. 

Speaking of the US Open Cup, looks like both USL teams just got kayoed tonight. Oh well, they had a great run, but it goes to show that no matter how hard you work, how scrappy you are, how much spirit you have or how feel-good your story is, sometimes Goliath wins.

So did the best team in the MLS. 

GG Portland! Definitely an earned victory.

I believe that was only the 3rd home loss ever for LAFC (only 3rd loss this season too) so kudos to the Timbers.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

7 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

Speaking of the US Open Cup, looks like both USL teams just got kayoed tonight. Oh well, they had a great run, but it goes to show that no matter how hard you work, how scrappy you are, how much spirit you have or how feel-good your story is, sometimes Goliath wins.

St. Louis did really well for themselves, and 2-0 doesn't speak to how the game unfolded. ATL had what felt like 90% possession and god knows how many unconverted chances in the first 30 minutes, but went to HT 0-0. The second goal was a penalty in stoppage time after a stretch of STL threatening pretty heavily. They did an excellent job keeping it close and just waiting for the break that ultimately never came.

This tournament looks like Atlanta's only shot to bring anything home this year, so very relieved that LAFC is out. 

PJU85JF.png

5 hours ago, alxy8s said:

St. Louis did really well for themselves, and 2-0 doesn't speak to how the game unfolded. ATL had what felt like 90% possession and god knows how many unconverted chances in the first 30 minutes, but went to HT 0-0. The second goal was a penalty in stoppage time after a stretch of STL threatening pretty heavily. They did an excellent job keeping it close and just waiting for the break that ultimately never came.

This tournament looks like Atlanta's only shot to bring anything home this year, so very relieved that LAFC is out. 

Was clearly disappointed that StL FC wasn't able to pull it out, but felt no shame in a USL team losing to the defending MLS Champs in a close game. Hope Atlanta does well rest of the way.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

The draw ended up Atlanta @ Orlando and Portland @ Minnesota on August 7. Their timing with the regular season schedule is terrible. Atlanta was already headed down to Orlando on August 23, and Portland is playing at Minnesota on August 4. Should've pulled a David Stern and frozen the ATL ball for the gate revenue since they're switching venues back to the Benz. Oh well! 

Final preference for hosting the final was drawn 1) Atlanta, 2) Minnesota, and 3) Orlando. 

PJU85JF.png

9 hours ago, alxy8s said:

On the bright side for Saint Louis FC, they picked up $25K for being the USL-C team that advanced the furthest. (New Mexico United lost out because they needed penalty kicks to knock the Rapids out in the Fourth Round - I'm not kidding.)

LvZYtbZ.png

Beckham’s newly formed Studio 99 content studio will develop documentaries, TV shows and other formats, and also will undertake commercial work as a creative agency for brand partners. Studio 99 already has a slate of documentary projects in development — including some that will feature Beckham — with stories spanning sports, travel and fashion, among other areas.

The English footballer follows in the footsteps of other pro athletes who have established media ventures, including NBA superstars LeBron James and Stephen Curry, NFL quarterback Russell Wilson and former New York Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter.

Indeed, Studio 99 has inked a development agreement with Uninterrupted, the media company co-founded by LeBron James and business partner Maverick Carter. Under the partnership, the companies are co-producing a documentary series that will chart the journey — from conception to launch in spring 2020 — of Inter Miami CF, the Major League Soccer expansion team in which Beckham is a co-owner.

More: https://variety.com/2019/biz/news/david-beckham-studio-99-media-venture-1203263110/

Also, MGM Resorts and Las Vegas Conventions and Visitors Authority must have paid a nice sum to get the Liga MX/MLS Leagues Cup Final on September 18.

UNLV is away on September 14 and have a off week plus another road game on September 28, so they should be putting grass down at Sam Boyd. 

Never thought Id see this happen again this season but for the first time since March its two wins in a row for FC Cincinnati with a win tonight in Chicago Bridgeview. FCC now tied for last with Columbus. Looks like next months Hell is Real Derbies might mean something for both clubs.

Signature intentionally left blank

On 7/10/2019 at 3:50 PM, Gothamite said:

Does it matter?  Soldier Field is a fine temporary venue until they can get something else built.

Define "temporary." If you mean it in the sense of "nothing is permanent, everything dies," then yes, Soldier Field will be the temporary home of MLS Chicago.

In true 2010s Fire fashion, they've bungled this even when they've seemingly gotten something right. The city's forthcoming mega-development on the Near North Side, Lincoln Yards, is Rahm Emanuel's final :censored: you to everyone in the city below the hedge fund class. Designed in the vein of up-and-running urban atrocity Hudson Yards, its original plan called for a 25,000-seat soccer stadium, with no apparent tenant. Eventually, Tom Ricketts put in for a USL club there, but as talks progressed, the stadium got scuttled. If the Fire had lined things up two years ago and announced their intent to move out of Soccer Glendale then, that stadium gets built and they get a sparkling new home in the city.

There have been some discussions of building a new stadium on the old Michael Reese Hospital site at 29th & King. This was land bought by the city in a much different time, as part of a rabid-with-power Richard M. Daley's plan to win the 2016 Olympics. The site has been an undeveloped blight for over a decade, but with a new mayor voted in on being the antithesis of Rahm's neoliberalism on bath salts, and the huge financial problems both he and Daley left behind, the current administration likely isn't interested in giving away prime land for free or building another stadium two miles from Soldier Field on the taxpayers' dime.

And so, unless Hauptman and his lackey Rodriguez depart the club, it's likely that MLS Chicago spends its years drawing 8;000 a night in a 60,000-seat stadium while scuttling along the bottom of the table. And I refer to that team as MLS Chicago, because when the first reports of leaving Bridgeview for Soldier Field surfaced, they included news that management wanted to drop the Fire name and colors for something in the vein of "Chicago City FC." You know, so they can pretend they're a new team, finally rid themselves of whatever shreds of the Wilt legacy remain, and also dump all those pesky supporters.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

8 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Define "temporary." If you mean it in the sense of "nothing is permanent, everything dies," then yes, Soldier Field will be the temporary home of MLS Chicago.

Seven to eight years.  If the Fire can make a stadium announcement within five, they’ll be just fine. 

8 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

it's likely that MLS Chicago spends its years drawing 8;000 a night in a 60,000-seat stadium while scuttling along the bottom of the table.

They’re drawing 15K per match in Bridgeview. You seriously think that they’ll drop by half when they play at Soldier Field?  🙄

23 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

They’re drawing 15K per match in Bridgeview. You seriously think that they’ll drop by half when they play at Soldier Field?  🙄

You're reading the announced totals and not looking at the seats.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

47 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Show me that their numbers are inflated by more than 100%.  

Because there’s no way attendance goes down at Soldier Field. 

Especially when the Fire are contending for the World Cup!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived