NBA Changes 2019-20

kolob

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've essentially made my peace with teams using alternates as explorations of parallel-universe brands, at this point, but I really wish that those would be left for random midwinter Tuesdays, not the playoffs. Thought brought to you by watching the Clippers trotting out the streetwear blackletter black-and-white look today, and to a lesser extent the tequila sunrise Jazz. (Thankful at least the Celtics seem to have left the Irish pub men's league look in pre-covid times.)

AND ANOTHER THING. Watching the Lakers the other night and realized what I find so off-putting about the purple jerseys ... it's not the black stripe (well it's sort of that too), it's having the number in yellow with a white outline and shadow. Not even the old Showtime-era purples did this! The numbers are nearly unreadable. It never bothered me on the word mark, and for some reason the reversal of main color/outline between the numbers and the wordmark actually seems to serve the Lakers well (see the Kobe-era jerseys). 

As odd as the Magic Johnson city jerseys were last year, they actually had an attractive color balance in a vacuum -- purple, black, gold, no white at all. The Lakers should only ever have three colors on a jersey, but paying attention to outlines is just as important.

3 hours ago, Digby said:

AND ANOTHER THING. Watching the Lakers the other night and realized what I find so off-putting about the purple jerseys ... it's not the black stripe (well it's sort of that too), it's having the number in yellow with a white outline and shadow. Not even the old Showtime-era purples did this! The numbers are nearly unreadable.

#ShamelessPlug

Can always count on a Conrad shameless plug to explain what I'm thinking! I like the bottom-left of the bottom quadrant more than I probably should. Same idea as the Adidas-era Celtics alts with black numbers, but much better looking IMO.

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Can always count on a Conrad shameless plug to explain what I'm thinking! I like the bottom-left of the bottom quadrant more than I probably should. Same idea as the Adidas-era Celtics alts with black numbers, but much better looking IMO.

Always happy to oblige. I personally prefer the bottom-right of the top 4.

On 8/24/2020 at 1:42 AM, Digby said:

I've essentially made my peace with teams using alternates as explorations of parallel-universe brands, at this point, but I really wish that those would be left for random midwinter Tuesdays, not the playoffs. Thought brought to you by watching the Clippers trotting out the streetwear blackletter black-and-white look today, and to a lesser extent the tequila sunrise Jazz. (Thankful at least the Celtics seem to have left the Irish pub men's league look in pre-covid times.)

I've witnessed the Clippers forcefully trying to be a black and white team by wearing only black gear (alternate and blackletter white unis) lately, all while they have a semi-good-looking main blue uni, which is annoying as hell.

Yeah, the Clippers are really frustrating with that, especially so during the playoffs. The (primary?) white and blue uniform are actually kinda decent, and certainly massive improvements over what they replaced. For them to keep getting shelved in favor of really inferior black and white uniforms, game after game, is just one of many examples of the greater branding problem the NBA has now. 

Teams ought to have a consistent brand, and teams ought to be striving to look their best. A large majority of the league’s teams leave both of those boxes unchecked.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Weren't the Clippers pondering an identity overhaul a year or two ago? I don't remember who mentioned it, but it was on these boards. It doesn't seem like there will be any change for next season given the draft hats, but maybe they're just experimenting with the alternate uniforms?

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Yeah, the Clippers are really frustrating with that, especially so during the playoffs. The (primary?) white and blue uniform are actually kinda decent, and certainly massive improvements over what they replaced. For them to keep getting shelved in favor of really inferior black and white uniforms, game after game, is just one of many examples of the greater branding problem the NBA has now. 

Teams ought to have a consistent brand, and teams ought to be striving to look their best. A large majority of the league’s teams leave both of those boxes unchecked.

Those white City uniforms are the worst in league history.

So what was the deal with all of those teams bringing their courts to Orlando? Are they going to be used late in the playoffs?

I don't think they're necessary; just kind of confused what that was all about.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

41 minutes ago, Dynasty said:

Weren't the Clippers pondering an identity overhaul a year or two ago? I don't remember who mentioned it, but it was on these boards. It doesn't seem like there will be any change for next season given the draft hats, but maybe they're just experimenting with the alternate uniforms?

I think Ballmer mentioned when they move into the new Inglewood arena they might rebrand. He said everything was up to be changed, even the name.

39 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

So what was the deal with all of those teams bringing their courts to Orlando? Are they going to be used late in the playoffs?

Practice, I think.

the user formerly known as cdclt

58 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Just practice courts, some of the people here went nuts thinking they would be used in actual games but it became evident they weren’t when most of the teams didn’t end up bringing them. You weren’t going to have the Celtics risking damaging their 75 year old court for this.

10 hours ago, dont care said:

Just practice courts, some of the people here went nuts thinking they would be used in actual games but it became evident they weren’t when most of the teams didn’t end up bringing them. You weren’t going to have the Celtics risking damaging their 75 year old court for this.

The Celtics' current court is a year or two old.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

3 hours ago, _J_ said:

I still hold that they might use them for conference/NBA finals.

Will they? Likely not, but at that stage of the game it isn't impossible to do.

I would like to think they would for at least the Finals? I don't think it would be that hard to setup since they use two arenas. If four courts are "too much" to switch out for the Conference Finals, the Finals would be a cake walk.

But, I don't mind the current courts and the use of TV graphics on the courts. I have a feeling we'll see more of that in the future.

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 minute ago, kimball said:

I would like to think they would for at least the Finals? I don't think it would be that hard to setup since they use two arenas. If four courts are "too much" to switch out for the Conference Finals, the Finals would be a cake walk.

But, I don't mind the current courts and the use of TV graphics on the courts. I have a feeling we'll see more of that in the future.

Honestly, i'd doubt it as a general rule. Once the fans are allowed back in, fans wouldn't see adverts/logos and lose money that way. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Archived