NBA Changes 2019-20

kimball

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ben in LA said:

Because the whites were originally for Sunday (home games) only. Personally I think Sunday Lakers road games should be in an alternate.

I know, I remember when they introduced those back in ‘04. 

I’m just of the belief that in a championship round, teams should wear their best/most iconic uniforms, which are almost always their standard uniforms, and never wear alternates. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

3 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

I’m just of the belief that in a championship round, teams should wear their best/most iconic uniforms, which are almost always their standard uniforms, and never wear alternates. 

this is 2020, not 1985. I love seeing alternates in the Finals. Cleveland winning in that black sleeved jersey is so iconic

27 minutes ago, krayziegunts said:

this is 2020, not 1985. I love seeing alternates in the Finals. Cleveland winning in that black sleeved jersey is so iconic

Iconic because decades from now, scholars will find it notable that such a massive moment in NBA history occurred with one team wearing t-shirts from a department store sports section, yes.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

1 hour ago, krayziegunts said:

Thank you for finally proving that opinions can in fact be objectively wrong.

I have no problem with teams wearing an occasional alternate even in the finals. But, it shouldn't be a clinching game for either team, it should still go along with the classic home-white, road-color paradigm (in most cases), and it should be in team colors. Overall I agree with @Digby though, wear your best uniform and if your best uniform happens to be a black rainbow alternate wear it and then immediately make it the primary... *cough* *cough* Nuggets.

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

I would like teams wearing alternates if it was like an impromptu decision to change the mojo. In 2016 the sleeves looked so dumb but the whole series did turn around when they decided to wear them. The scheduling out of it in lockervision has shown its just about money now (which it probably has always been I'm just trying to justify it in my head haha)

7 hours ago, Rockstar Matt said:

At the same time, the purple uniforms have been bastardized completely and so, honestly, I would probably rather see them wear any of the other three uniforms over the purple ones as well. When I think the iconic "Forum blue" Laker uniforms...what they have now isn't what I have in mind.

--

(original post @UnclearInitial...don't know why I couldn't copy and paste this cleanly)

I do really appreciate how the Heat have AFAIK always worn their usual uniforms instead of wearing the Vice set in the playoffs. Have fun with alternate stuff, but when the playoffs start, they know what their identity is, and it's one that they've now gone to 6 finals with.

One thing I will say is that I wonder whatever happened to the red uniforms. The Heat always used to have this thing with their road uniforms that they would switch back and forth between black and red depending on whether they won their previous game or not. At least, that's always what it seemed like they did. This postseason - admittedly, I haven't seen every game but I've seen at least parts of most of them - it's been either black or white entirely. And there's nothing wrong with that; their black uniforms are my favorite of the bunch. But I can't remember seeing the red ones once. 

spacer.png

28 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

Agreed. Ironically, when I think of those red Heat jerseys I think of LeBron. Not sure if that's even a correct correlation though

why do the Heat refuse to wear their red jerseys now? I was really looking forward to some yellow/red , white/red matchups. Black and white every other game is boring, red brings out the team color

5 hours ago, ScubaSteve said:

Agreed. Ironically, when I think of those red Heat jerseys I think of LeBron. Not sure if that's even a correct correlation though

No, I feel the same way. To be honest, Lebron being a Cavalier feels like his "wrong jersey". Even after winning the championship with them in 2016, idk, it just doesn't feel like his "right" team. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

22 minutes ago, colinturner95 said:

No, I feel the same way. To be honest, Lebron being a Cavalier feels like his "wrong jersey". Even after winning the championship with them in 2016, idk, it just doesn't feel like his "right" team. 

Interesting perspective. Wrong, but interesting.

26 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Interesting perspective. Wrong, but interesting.

I wonder if the regular switching of jerseys during LeBron's Cleveland tenure has something to do with that. Easy to remember him in those very 00s days with the checker sides, then the minimalist era, then the Nike chiseled-edges era -- and on top of that, the iconic moment was in the charcoal sleeved t-shirts, which fit awkwardly between the two latter eras. In the rush to sell maximum jerseys, the team maybe screwed themselves out of the long-term branding association. But also fitting given the decades-long "what is the Cavs' true look" debate.

6 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

At the same time, the purple uniforms have been bastardized completely and so, honestly, I would probably rather see them wear any of the other three uniforms over the purple ones as well. When I think the iconic "Forum blue" Laker uniforms...what they have now isn't what I have in mind.

--

(original post @UnclearInitial...don't know why I couldn't copy and paste this cleanly)

One thing I will say is that I wonder whatever happened to the red uniforms. The Heat always used to have this thing with their road uniforms that they would switch back and forth between black and red depending on whether they won their previous game or not. At least, that's always what it seemed like they did. This postseason - admittedly, I haven't seen every game but I've seen at least parts of most of them - it's been either black or white entirely. And there's nothing wrong with that; their black uniforms are my favorite of the bunch. But I can't remember seeing the red ones once. 

Their marketing slogan for the playoffs has been "United in Black", so I'm thinking that's why.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I think because of Miami’s #UnitedInBlack campaign, they didn’t plan on rocking the red alternates this playoffs. I understand why, but looking back at past finals, it was always nice seeing the red alternate for a change when playing the Mavs or the Spurs. I think I will distinctly remember LeBron through the 4 different chapters of his career CLE (with the wine roads and those navy alternates), MIA (and the different special edition uniforms they wore), CLE 2 (introduction of black), and the current LAL era.

I will say, I am a bit disappointed that the Lakers might wear their black alternates multiple times (and in game 7 if it goes there). But then another piece of me acknowledges just how important this season is for them remembering Kobe and Gianna, hence their desire to wear the Black Mamba alternates. There’s just something about their yellow/gold and how well it contrasts with dark colors, that we’ll sadly not get many games of this series. 

13 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

I don't really associate LeBron with the Miami jersey at all, since it just didn't feel right or appropriate, like his stint with the Heat in general. And he had already established himself as the player he was prior to that.

This is THE LeBron jersey for me:

lebron-james-of-the-cleveland-cavaliers-

Lakers-Heat: 2020 NBA Finals Uniform Schedule

October 1, 2020 - 13:42 PM

The 2020 NBA Finals are underway, and for the first time in five years the Golden State Warriors will not be a part of it. But still, for the second year in a row, it’s yellow vs black and red. The Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat will play a

Read More...

2 hours ago, truepg said:

I don't really associate LeBron with the Miami jersey at all, since it just didn't feel right or appropriate, like his stint with the Heat in general. And he had already established himself as the player he was prior to that.

This is THE LeBron jersey for me:

lebron-james-of-the-cleveland-cavaliers-

Couldnt agree more, he only spent 4 years with the Heat while 11 with the Cavs. 

This would be his 2nd most THE Lebron jersey

spacer.png

People are nuts if they think the Cavs aren't the right uniform for LeBron. They're his hometown team, the team that drafted him and the team he led to victory in the most iconic Finals ever. Arguably his two most defining moments as a player (the block on Iguodala and the 2OT win against the Pistons) happened in a Cavs uniform. He'll probably become a part-owner of the Cavs too after he retires.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

On 9/30/2020 at 3:44 AM, Old School Fool said:

The Mamba uniform should probably become a permanent part of the Lakers uniform lineup. Just make it the Statement because the purple uniform sucks.

They should make it their City (2nd Alternate) uniform. But for the love of everything, fix the Lakers’ set to be Yellow as the primary home & purple as the primary road again.

Archived