MLB Changes 2020

kimball

3 hours ago, mjd77 said:

I'd be in favor of coming up with an entirely new look using royal/yellow, and maybe powder blue.  That way they'd have a new look, but they can still do the BiG retro nights.

I think they could do either a modernized Barrel man logo mixed with the fonts found at the spring training camp. That or a new look completely. I’d stick with navy and yellow though.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never been fond of any of the Brewers brandings since their inception. I do admire the cleverness of the BiG logo, but I consider the combination of true blue and yellow on the jerseys/wordmarks to be a bit of an eyesore. There's just something so harsh about it visually. It also doesn't feel very timeless, despite the simplicity of the design. It's easier for me to envision a vintage Padres look sliding into 2020 full-time than a vintage Brewers one. But if the majority of the Milwaukee fanbase is passionate about bringing back that retro look, I'd love to see it happen despite my distaste for it.

I do agree with a point made by someone here earlier, though. I used to think I preferred a navy BiG cap, but something brighter would be much better under the Miller Park roof. A lighter blue (than Navy) could work for Milwaukee if they scrap those 70s/80s wordmarks and come up with something new. Those spring training complex fonts displayed here would be a step in the right direction. 

18 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

Nostalgia can sometimes overshadow how good a look actually is

16 hours ago, Beer Barrel Man said:

The nostalgia factor cannot be applied to me as I was born around the time that the BiG and color scheme was sadly thrown aside in favor of the dreck that came after. 

The fact that I see fans in the navy BiG almost as often as I do the royal version tells me it's not about nostalgia and rather a genuine love for the logo.

I've honestly come to prefer the navy version.  I love Harvey's Wallbangers as much as anyone, but the Brewers have other history worth celebrating too.  The player with the most playoff appearances in a Brewers uniform is not Robin Yount or Paul Molitor but is, in fact, Ryan Braun.  Christian Yelich also has a very legit chance of carving out an even bigger legacy than any of those guys.  The BiG in navy is a good way to strike a balance between embracing their classic identity while still moving forward.  And, selfishly, I look better in navy, so it will lead to me owning more fan gear.

Some people are gonna complain about too much navy, but it's a color they own in the NL Central.  And it's not like they're pairing with with red or white.  There's no chance you'll mistake them for any other navy-clad team.

Plus, it's not like the Brewers are ever gonna stop wearing the royal blue version.  I've proposed the idea of the Brewers keeping their current fauxbacks and adding a powder blue road uniform for when they play American League teams.  Not only were the Brewers the first team to switch leagues.  But Milwaukee as a city has switched leagues 3 times.  They can embrace that unique history with a "dual" identity united by a single logo.

21 hours ago, Teal said:

I wonder if any teams will get re-branded with the Nike deal coming into play. Unfortunately I don't have any intel regarding the MLB. 

As with any manufacturer changeovers (NHL, NFL) there's usually a few.

I'd love to see Nike overhaul the Rays. The Twins need to join the Padres and presumably the Brewers in re-adopting vintage identities. The Indians need to reimagine their logo/caps for the post-Wahoo era. The Diamondbacks need to bring back their early 00s look. And the Marlins need to pretend their most recent rebrand never happened. Otherwise things look pretty solid out there.

10 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

I wonder about the Rangers...

They seem to have been married to this "look" for life now. A few small changes would be nice, especially seeing Rangers return on the home whites. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

It's probably not going to happen, but I wish the Mariners would revert to their pre-2015 jersey lettering. The old Navy-Teal-Silver lettering looked much cleaner than the Navy-Silver-Teal scheme they've deployed over the past few years.

8 minutes ago, njpoz said:

It's probably not going to happen, but I wish the Mariners would revert to their pre-2015 jersey lettering. The old Navy-Teal-Silver lettering looked much cleaner than the Navy-Silver-Teal scheme they've deployed over the past few years.

Couldn't agree more.  The original orientation was much cleaner, much more legible.

Baseball Players Wearing Gold Ribbons, Wristbands Today

September 7, 2019 - 17:31 PM

Why are Major League Baseball players wearing gold ribbons? All Major League Baseball players and umpires will be wearing gold/yellow ribbons and wristbands across the league for games played on Saturday, September 7, 2019. The special ribbons and gold wristbands […]

Read More...

On 9/5/2019 at 1:09 AM, Marlins93 said:

I'd love to see Nike overhaul the Rays. The Twins need to join the Padres and presumably the Brewers in re-adopting vintage identities. The Indians need to reimagine their logo/caps for the post-Wahoo era. The Diamondbacks need to bring back their early 00s look. And the Marlins need to pretend their most recent rebrand never happened. Otherwise things look pretty solid out there.

The Twins identity is close to perfect rn, I hope they don’t change it. And the diamondbacks need a new look not a vintage throwback rebrand. And the Marlins look is much better than I anticipated, maybe some small adjustments, but I’d hate they change it so soon

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

Archived