MLB Changes 2020

kimball

37 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That's more a product of how awful the hat is, and that maybe they shouldn't have gone with pinstripes.  Now that I look at it, those look odd.  Maybe a teal bill would tie the cap into the wordmark/pinstripes better.

The Portland Sea Dogs did it.

spacer.png

Remove the placket and you’re good!

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why on earth would you use placket piping on a pinstriped jersey?  

OK so maybe the "rule" is that the brim has to match the pinstripes, regardless of crown color.  The Cubs knew this, hence never wearing the red-brimmed cap with their home pinstripes.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

22 hours ago, BBTV said:

Speaking of White Sox, whatever happened to that black alt with the new White Sox script?  The one that was modeled after the players' weekend one, and looked like a softball jersey?

Not sure what you’re referring to. The White Sox did not introduce a new alt this season.

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Not sure what you’re referring to. The White Sox did not introduce a new alt this season.

I think it was assumed that it would be this but with a white script:

Chicago White Sox Majestic 2019 Players' Weekend Wordmark T-Shirt - Black

Chicago White Sox on Twitter: "We couldn't close the book on Players'  Weekend without doing this once. (H/T to @Sara823 for the idea.)… "

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think it was assumed that it would be this but with a white script:

Chicago White Sox Majestic 2019 Players' Weekend Wordmark T-Shirt - Black

I presume the pandemic may have had something to do with this.  Outside of the overhauls (Texas, Milwaukee, San Diego, etc) I don't believe we saw any new alternates added to current teams.

1 minute ago, TBGKon said:

I presume the pandemic may have had something to do with this.  Outside of the overhauls (Texas, Milwaukee, San Diego, etc) I don't believe we saw any new alternates added to current teams.

Reds, Pirates (new road and alt), Blue Jays, Twins and sorta the Nationals introduced new alts for this year.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/07/22/every-new-baseball-logo-and-uniform-for-2020/baseball/

2 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Blue Jays' powder blues. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 minutes ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

Reds, Pirates (new road and alt), Blue Jays, Twins and sorta the Nationals introduced new alts for this year.

https://news.sportslogos.net/2020/07/22/every-new-baseball-logo-and-uniform-for-2020/baseball/

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Blue Jays' powder blues. 

Well dang, thats right.  Guess pandemic didnt do it...

On 9/9/2020 at 12:13 PM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Gary Sheffield dishes on Jim Leyland - Fish StripesAndre Dawson Autographed 8x10 Photo Florida Marlins PSA/DNA #Q93593 - Mill  Creek Sports

This is one example where it really works... the cap matches the undershirt and the pinstripes match the wordmark... the perfect balance between a light color and a dark color and for the Marlins itself I think it works best because the teal caps, while cool for nostalgia, were also gaudy. This look was the right difference between wearing unique colors and not looking like a little kid.

I agree that this set looks great.  The cap matches the undershirt, and I think keeping the cap and undershirt/accessories dark this helps the wordmark stand out a bit.  It's a great balance.  These silly rules like "this part of their uniform must be the same color as this other part of their uniform, ALWAYS" are nonsense because there are always going to be exceptions to these "rules" that just look as good or better, and that's what makes uniform designs interesting.  In this case the teal pinstripes are a nice touch because they brighten the look, but keeping the brim black keeps the overall look solid and composed.  It just "works."

Having said that, I think having teal caps looked great, too.  This set looked great whether they wore teal caps or black caps. I don't follow the Marlins super closely so I don't know how they handled their cap situation in the 90s, but I would have probably done something where they wear the black caps for most games and wear the teal caps on special occasions or specified days (like maybe only on Saturdays and Sundays).  MLB could really benefit from a lot of teams "brightening up" their looks a bit, as long as they don't do it excessively.

4 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

I don't follow the Marlins super closely so I don't know how they handled their cap situation in the 90s, but I would have probably done something where they wear the black caps for most games and wear the teal caps on special occasions or specified days (like maybe only on Saturdays and Sundays).

They did this briefly... in 1995 when they made the black caps the primary home and road caps (before that it was a road alternate) the all teal caps were for Sunday home games only, and the teal caps with black brims became a road alternate (though this one was seldom worn anymore). By 96 they went all black at home every game and wore the road alternate teal just a handful of occasions. Starting in 1997 it was the black cap only.

57 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

These silly rules like "this part of their uniform must be the same color as this other part of their uniform, ALWAYS" are nonsense because there are always going to be exceptions to these "rules" that just look as good or better, and that's what makes uniform designs interesting. 

I don't think anyone's ever used the word "ALWAYS" with any of these rules.  I can think of very few rules for which there aren't exceptions.  At the end of the day, things that look good look good.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 9/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, BBTV said:

Why on earth would you use placket piping on a pinstriped jersey?  

OK so maybe the "rule" is that the brim has to match the pinstripes, regardless of crown color.  The Cubs knew this, hence never wearing the red-brimmed cap with their home pinstripes.

I've always wondered what the deal is with this 1996 card:

71hFxndg2lL._AC_SY445_.jpg

It kinda looks like the red part is a primitive photoshop job, but it wouldn't make sense that it would need to be.  Maybe he just grabbed the wrong cap?  Either way, it looks bad.  The cubs never needed a red-brimmed hat.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

It kinda looks like the red part is a primitive photoshop job, but it wouldn't make sense that it would need to be.  Maybe he just grabbed the wrong cap?  Either way, it looks bad.  The cubs never needed a red-brimmed hat.

I thought it looked OK on the road uniform. The red front numbers and back numbers helped tie the red bill into the rest of the set.

2570342891_29d513f6a3_o.png

The blue-billed cap is better though.

5 hours ago, Bmac said:

I've always wondered what the deal is with this 1996 card:

71hFxndg2lL._AC_SY445_.jpg

I did some deep digging and found an image from September 4th and one from September 6th, 1995 against the Colorado Rockies:

luis-gonzalez-of-the-chicago-cubs-bats-d

dante-bichette-of-the-colorado-rockies-b

I realize those only show the helmet, but based on these three photos, it seems the Cubs may have worn the red-billed caps during a regular season series in 1995!

Archived